• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Health anxiety and gut problems

A

Anxter

I have constant pain and bloating on my left side. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. I've been diagnosed with IBS before. But now my health anxiety has got me thinking "what if I have cancer?" Unfortunately, I took to Googling, which didn't help at all. I have a video appt with my dr tomorrow morning. I am praying that I will feel better after speaking with her. Does anyone else have worries and thoughts like this? I feel like I'm alone.

Michelle Kelly

Michelle Kelly

I have quite regular bloating and bowel problems due to long term anxiety and the stress that it causes and just like you I often wonder if - one day - it will actually turn out to be cancer. The thing that makes me realise that it's probably not cancer is that when I'm truly relaxed ( spending time with my parents or watching an engaging tv show etc ) the issues seem to disappear.

Other things that can cause these symptoms include a food intolerance, which is less serious than a food allergy but still annoying. I certainly don't eat a healthy diet, so much of my bloating could be down to that as much as anxiety.

You're certainly not alone with having worries such as this, I have them every month at least :)

A

Anxter

Thank you, Michelle. It's good to know someone out there gets it. I went for 6 months without the anxiety, but just recently it started up again. My med dose has been increased, but I don't think it has helped much yet.

T

Traveler5

I also have IBS. I've had it since I was in college. It's a bugger to deal with but I've found that taking a daily probiotic really helps. I don't think you have cancer, probably just an IBS flair-up. See your doctor and be positive that everything is OK. Just remember, you don't have cancer.

A

Anxter

Thank you, Traveler5. I had a video appt with my dr this morning. She thinks it is probably a reaction to the medication, after I explained where, when, and how I was feeling the pain. Complicated by the fact that I have ongoing IBS. Some of my fear is going away. She said cancer is highly unlikely. She also gave me some "homework" to help with my anxiety/depression.

T

Traveler5

Thank you, Traveler5. I had a video appt with my dr this morning. She thinks it is probably a reaction to the medication, after I explained where, when, and how I was feeling the pain. Complicated by the fact that I have ongoing IBS. Some of my fear is going away. She said cancer is highly unlikely. She also gave me some "homework" to help with my anxiety/depression.
Awesome! I'm glad everything is okay, except for the IBS. Stay away from Google or any internet searches on your symptoms. It will just make things worse for you and whatever the results say will mostly not apply to you. Good luck!

A

Anxter

Thank you. I have learned my lesson about Googling! Your words have been very reassuring to me today. I wish you well.

A

Anxter

My left side pain has continued, and I had a couple of bad days this week. Now I am supposed to have a full abdominal ultrasound. I am starting to worry about what the test might show. Could it just be another symptom of my IBS, or something worse? Rising anxiety...

T

Traveler5

My left side pain has continued, and I had a couple of bad days this week. Now I am supposed to have a full abdominal ultrasound. I am starting to worry about what the test might show. Could it just be another symptom of my IBS, or something worse? Rising anxiety...
Absolutely! It's most likely IBS. Anxiety and stress aggravate IBS like crazy. It can cause gas build-up in the bowels which puts pressure on nerves in the lining of your bowels which can cause pain. Relieving the gas will ease the pain. The same goes for a build-up of fecal matter (poo) in your intestines when you're constipated (another symptom of IBS). The longest nerve in our bodies is the one that runs from our brain stem to our gut. It's amazing how anxiety and stress can affect our gut activity.

A

Anxter

Thank you for the reassurance, Traveler5. I needed that. My worry level is sky high, and worst case scenarios keep playing in my head. My test is tomorrow.