• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Health and Wellness: when the brain is under attack

SarahD

SarahD

HEALTH AND WELLNESS
When the brain is under attack

When the brain attacks: a newly discovered disease can mimic psychosis - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe

A new disease at the crossroads of psychiatry and neurology could help in the understanding of psychosis

Annalisa Meier dreamed about moving to Manhattan for college and voting in her first presidential election in 2008. But with freshman year about to begin, the assertive and lively 18-year-old’s behavior changed. She grew indecisive, withdrawn, and quick to anger.

Then, Meier had a seizure.

Susannah Cahalan was a young New York Post reporter when she started to forget assignments. She became fixated on the idea that her home was infested with bedbugs. Paranoid and irrational, she laughed and cried inappropriately, moods rocketing from euphoria to intense sadness.

She thought it must be stress, or the flu. One doctor told her she had mono. Her parents suspected she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Then she, too, had a seizure.

The women’s slow unraveling could have been the beginning of a psychotic break, followed by a lifetime of hospitalization and medication.

Instead, they were found to have a newly described disease called anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis, caused when the body’s immune system goes haywire and attacks a protein in the brain. The protein, the NMDA receptor, helps neurons communicate; it is the same receptor that’s blocked by PCP or ketamine — both drugs that can make a normal person act like someone with schizophrenia.

The disease typically strikes young women, but also can affect men and children. It can begin subtly, with a change in behavior, often after a headache or flu-like illness. Symptoms worsen to include agitation, paranoia, delusions, or hallucinations. Then seizures begin. Psychosis worsens. Blood pressure might plummet. Patients could ultimately grow sick enough to require a breathing tube. Some slip into a state of complete unresponsiveness. But with aggressive therapies to suppress the immune system, most awaken to return to normal lives.

Experts suggest that the disease and others like it — at the intersection of psychiatry and neurology — can broaden our understanding of the basis of psychosis and, perhaps, in some cases, its treatment.

More in link

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

How awful for the girl.. but i'm glad that this got recognised and she wasn't instead sectioned!
It really makes you wonder how many undiscovered illnesses like this people may have that cause symptoms of mental health issues. :unsure:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P is there any mental health forums that are in the US? Schizophrenia Forum 9
L How can I make a complaint against my doctors and health services? Schizophrenia Forum 5
S Goodbye Mental Health Forum. Schizophrenia Forum 25
TDCI1994 When did your schizophrenia first start and was there any previous mental health issues before? Schizophrenia Forum 58
DancingEyes Diet and mental health Schizophrenia Forum 5
I Money and mental health. Schizophrenia Forum 1
K whatr mental health stuff could i be learning during covid Schizophrenia Forum 6
D recommended to take a year off and focus on my mental health Schizophrenia Forum 3
S Mental Health issues Schizophrenia Forum 2
B TRIGGER WARNING, Health anxiety sufferers should not read this! Does it look like schizophrenia or dementia? What do you think? Schizophrenia Forum 13
LORD BURT sent home via occupational health Schizophrenia Forum 25
FadeToBlack Ditching Mental Health Services Schizophrenia Forum 13
EdEd Overall Health Schizophrenia Forum 1
S A base in mental health Schizophrenia Forum 0
Mark_01 World Mental Health Day Schizophrenia Forum 1
LORD BURT The Positive Mental Health Boost of Having a Routine Schizophrenia Forum 6
P Has anyone else successfully been discharged by the mental health team in England? Schizophrenia Forum 8
D Mental health team don’t believe me Schizophrenia Forum 9
K Non fiction about mental health. Schizophrenia Forum 5
LORD BURT Is it sign of poor mental health to collect old documents and hoard them? Schizophrenia Forum 6
cpuusage Gail Hornstein: Why don't mental health professionals take first-hand accounts of madness seriously? Schizophrenia Forum 7
F worries about physical health when you are mental Schizophrenia Forum 12
L Mental Health Bike Project- we would like to hear your thoughts Schizophrenia Forum 20
H My Mothers Mental health Schizophrenia Forum 2
D How you see this picture depends on your mental health Schizophrenia Forum 3
P What i would change about mental health. Schizophrenia Forum 1
F Understandings of spirituality and its role in illness recovery in persons with schizophrenia and mental-health professionals: a qualitative study Schizophrenia Forum 2
N What would you change about mental health care facilities and other aspects of the system? Schizophrenia Forum 15
Linda1989 Healthy Gut, Healthy Mind: Foods to Improve Mental Health Schizophrenia Forum 2
F Is it all in the brain? An inclusive approach to mental health Schizophrenia Forum 5
E The Real Mental Health Conspiracy Schizophrenia Forum 1
Yellowbrickbridge Mental health assessment, ESA, NHS Schizophrenia Forum 2
LORD BURT Understand Schizophrenia – Mental Health Issues w/ Dr. John Breeding Schizophrenia Forum 1
E banned from another mental health chat room Schizophrenia Forum 26
F “Understanding Psychosis and Schizophrenia” and mental health service users Schizophrenia Forum 1
M Patients being less likely to be admitted to Acute Mental Health Wards Schizophrenia Forum 1
R Attacking the mental health system and care Schizophrenia Forum 131
D what help have you had from the mental health team and for how long? Schizophrenia Forum 20
R Extract from Parliamentary Debate on Mental Health - Thursday 16th May Schizophrenia Forum 3
F How the mental health system fails schizophrenics Schizophrenia Forum 1
G Does a parent of yours have a mental health disorder? Schizophrenia Forum 5
F Schizophrenia is associated with excess multiple physical-health comorbidities but low levels of recorded cardiovascular disease in primary care Schizophrenia Forum 5
F Infection in young linked to health of brain Schizophrenia Forum 3
ScenicMind What kind of health professional? Schizophrenia Forum 2
E what r my rights concerning a community treatment order and a mental health tribunal Schizophrenia Forum 3
E Design for empathy in mental health Schizophrenia Forum 47
hORIzonFINK210 Essence of wellness Schizophrenia Forum 0
hORIzonFINK210 outlook of wellness Schizophrenia Forum 2
BEASTMODEWARRIOR can people control your electronics through their brain waves, or im i just delusion. Schizophrenia Forum 14
L Not sure what’s going on with my brain Schizophrenia Forum 16