• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Head-nod

• Thread starter Buff Schmoltler
  • Start date
Buff Schmoltler

Buff Schmoltler

I have to make a conscious effort to make the head nod very slowly in social situations.

The norm in the US is to do it kind of swift and hard. I want to show respect but I also want to protect my brain.

I got a concussion a few months ago from a bad impact to the head. Real dizzy and blurry vision for a long time. If i jerk my head it causes that to return, along with a headache, and i have heard and believe that jerking the head is bad for the brain even when one has not had a concussion.

Head-nod: Bow-like greeting gesture to show respect and humbleness.

Buff Schmoltler

Buff Schmoltler

Like, bow head down, pause, then lift head up.

P

Purpleplum

I don't know anyone in the US who does that. Where did you hear this was a norm?

Buff Schmoltler

Buff Schmoltler

This swift kind of the norm, based on everyone I pass on the street in Norfolk, VA, USA.

If done slow like I have been because of my brain, it is like something outside of the US, and can be awkward.

Moonlight_Day

Moonlight_Day

I don't know anyone in the US who does that. Where did you hear this was a norm?
I don't know anyone who doesn't do the head nod lol. Usually its a way of saying "hey" to someone you don't actually want to talk to. Like passing a stranger in an empty hallway. Mostly a guy thing, not many women do it.

P

Purpleplum

I don't know anyone who doesn't do the head nod lol. Usually its a way of saying "hey" to someone you don't actually want to talk to. Like passing a stranger in an empty hallway. Mostly a guy thing, not many women do it.
Ok, I get what you mean. I don't see it as showing respect and humbleness though. It's just a replacement for "hey".

P

Purpleplum

I have to make a conscious effort to make the head nod very slowly in social situations.

The norm in the US is to do it kind of swift and hard. I want to show respect but I also want to protect my brain.

I got a concussion a few months ago from a bad impact to the head. Real dizzy and blurry vision for a long time. If i jerk my head it causes that to return, along with a headache, and i have heard and believe that jerking the head is bad for the brain even when one has not had a concussion.

Head-nod: Bow-like greeting gesture to show respect and humbleness.
Just say "hey" instead.