• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

He thinks the voices are real!

A

Atalose

I'm not sure this is the correct place to post this, I hope somebody can help.
My husband started hearing voices a couple of years ago whenever he would go outside. I have never heard any of the things he says he hears. He believes it's our neighbors watching him and talking about him. About a week ago he started hearing them while inside with all windows and doors closed. I thought this would make him realize that it can't be real, I was wrong. He says they know what we are doing and they can hear us talking. They are saying very rude and threatening things to him. All of this is wearing on him because he thinks its real. He is having trouble sleeping and lots of anxiety.
I have talked him into going to the doctor but he says he will tell them I want him to go because I think he has a brain tumor or something. Will the doctor be able to help him with him believing the voices are real? How can I help him see it isn't real? Does everyone believe the voices they hear are real in the beginning?
Thank you for any help you can give me!

Micsodi

Micsodi

Dear Atalose,
I am feeling for you, I can't imagine what you must be going through and I can only imagine how your husband might be feeling.
You came to the right place, the community is caring, loving, and will help you get through this.
I truly understand the struggle of accepting this state being a sickness and not a spiritual awakening - which is what I thought it might be.
I hope to give you strength in knowing that I believe most of us - or at least I thought the voices were real, they still seem real to me even thinking back, knowing that nobody else head them - when I experienced psychosis, but now I can argue against giving in to paranoia if it might happen again, I know it's only temporary and I need rest and medical help if and when it might come back.
It's not going away on it's own that's the troubling part and needs to be brought to a doctor's attention. If you can persuade your beloved that there is a way to rid himself of these voices and the whole experience of being listened on, being watched, is key. I am not an expert, but to me, medication was the answer.
I hope this helps and gives you hope and strength that suggesting to go to a doctor, even a psychologist is the right step forward to get help.

I hope by your strength and understanding, you can help him, and I hope that he will accept the treatment.
I wish you both health and happiness.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm getting close to five years of hearing a voice and I still believe 'he' is real, I don't believe it's my neighbours or anyone out in the world but think it's another consciousness that shares my brain with me. The experiences I've had over the years really point towards him being real because in the past he's known things that I couldn't possibly know. I know it sounds crazy believing that every human on the planet has two minds sharing the one body but that's what all my instincts tell me.

Never the less I'm on medication that reduces the volume of this voice to just a whisper that I can cope with on a daily basis and allows me to sleep better, another thing the medication does for me is stop the voice presenting in my ears making it sound like he was coming from the environment around me and limits him to just speaking internally in my mind like I would hear a thought.

Ras

Ras

to him they are very real.
From my experience hearing voices is as as real as hearing anyone else's voices. They can come from inside your head and outside as if someone is trying to talk to you.

Constantly being told they are not real can get a tad annoying even if you know you are the only one who can hear them.
I found a way to tell if they are real or not is by getting a dog, they dog reacts when someone is around by barking or whatever else. if i hear things and i look over to see how my dog is reacting and if she isnt reacting at all, i tend to know its all just in my head. Its just one small way of coping with what is real or just in my head.

A

Atalose

Thank you very much for helping. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with.
He says he feels like he is being bullied constantly and in his own home. He is hearing people saying all these negative things about him and saying they are going to whoop his a**.
He is miserable all the time and I am so worried about him. During all of this he is like a different person, his personality has changed. He keeps saying he doesn't want to be here ( our home). He will leave for hours and just drive around.
I have convinced him to go to the doctor. I told him it doesn't matter if the voices are real because he hears them and he needs help dealing with them. I am still not sure what he will tell the doctor. He went one time before and told the doctor he was having anxiety but didn't say anything about the voices. I would think that's a very important thing to leave out.
All I can do now is be here for him.Thank you so much for helping. Just talking about it seems to help.

EdEd

EdEd

Yea , good move. He will need a strong support system to get through this. I see what he believes now.

W

wellness

My husband started hearing voices a couple of years ago whenever he would go outside. I have never heard any of the things he says he hears. He believes it's our neighbors watching him and talking about him. About a week ago he started hearing them while inside with all windows and doors closed. I thought this would make him realize that it can't be real, I was wrong. He says they know what we are doing and they can hear us talking. They are saying very rude and threatening things to him. All of this is wearing on him because he thinks its real. He is having trouble sleeping and lots of anxiety.
I have talked him into going to the doctor but he says he will tell them I want him to go because I think he has a brain tumor or something. Will the doctor be able to help him with him believing the voices are real? How can I help him see it isn't real? Does everyone believe the voices they hear are real in the beginning?
Hello --
Sorry to hear your Husband's plight. His reaction is not uncommon in the initial stages of the "Voices" onslaught. There can be a lot of confusion, particularly the intrusion in the recesses of your mind. The "Voices" are "REAL" but NOT "Real People" !! The medical community refers to them as "Auditory Hallucinators" ... Since it is a problem that occurs in the brain clinically speaking ... it impacts our very being as the "Voices" gain access to your entire mind and memories, and their stereo typical behavior it to look for all the negative, painful incidents from your past memories and keep bringing them up. Why the Voices and What they are composed of whether, germs or viruses is very unknown !! But they are extremely malicious in their behavior.
One thing that is needed in dealing with them is to get good INSIGHT into their behavior and how they try to impact you. This is key to managing them on a daily basis.
You would also need the help of a good Doctor and assistance of medications in order to bring them under control.
It is not a good thing getting hit by these Voices, probably worst than Cancer !!

Cheerio !!

OCDguy

OCDguy

I wonder why he thinks the neighbours might be watching and talking about him? If he truly believes they are speaking about him, I'd be concerned the voices might antagonise/provoke him to confront them? Do the neighbours ever go out, and if they do, does he still think they are talking about him? If he could experience the peacefulness of a room in your house it might give him a platform to work from. I think you need the support and help from Professional people who know how best to handle these situations as we might be making matters worse speculating etc. Hope this helps :)