Having trouble trusting doctors.

H

HHRT1

Just fyi, I am not currently on any medications - not willing right now to go through the trial and error process. Last one gave me TD which thankfully went away a couple of months after stopping it (Latuda). Also, trust in doctors is a struggle for me, so I don't go unless I have to. SO, I went on my online medical records to see about imaging I'd had done on my back some time ago - to find out if a problem area was on the imaging. To my surprise, one of my diagnoses was alcohol abuse! I'm so angry. Thought I'd found a good GP I could trust (as far as I'm willing), but now I'm not so sure. I told her I used alcohol to lessen symptoms when I can't distract myself or deal with them. I drink enough to lessen them - don't even finish the drink I've started if it has eased it. Don't drink until I stagger or pass out or anything. Go weeks without a drink when symptoms are light. So pissed! I want it taken off my record because it could cause any number of problems. But, afraid bringing it up will get me tagged as uncooperative, confrontational, or who knows what and it still be on the record. Have any of you had similar experiences? What did you do and how did it work out? Thank you!

P

Pollypop

I had a similar experience.
I saw a letter that had been sent to my gp.

It was incorrect and totally misleading.
I sent a letter to my gp about it because i
had heard that my letter would be added to
my records disputing the content.

I don’t know whether it was though.
I don’t see my records online.
I saw the letter by chance as it was being
sent elsewhere as well.

I received a message telling me to contact
the person myself.
It was a CBT therapist.

I was a bit upset about this as I felt the gp
should have become involved because the letter
was sent to her.

Maybe you could send a letter and see what
happens.
Being online you could check if it has been added.

(I didn’t contact the therapist which I now regret)

H

HHRT1

I had a similar experience.
I saw a letter that had been sent to my gp.

It was incorrect and totally misleading.
I sent a letter to my gp about it because i
had heard that my letter would be added to
my records disputing the content.

I don’t know whether it was though.
I don’t see my records online.
I saw the letter by chance as it was being
sent elsewhere as well.

I received a message telling me to contact
the person myself.
It was a CBT therapist.

I was a bit upset about this as I felt the gp
should have become involved because the letter
was sent to her.

Maybe you could send a letter and see what
happens.
Being online you could check if it has been added.

(I didn’t contact the therapist which I now regret)
Thank you, Pollypop. If the GP won't remove it, I will write a letter and ask that it be put in my file.

P

Pollypop

I’m glad I have helped a little bit.
You have also helped me.
I am going to make enquires about seeing my
records online.

L

linus

The way I see it, it seems like a alcohol abuse. If you use it as an anxyolytic function then you are abusing it. If we talk about a cultural point of view you could be right, but for a medic this is clearly abuse and you shouldn’t hide anything.

N

nightmare57

I think having alcohol abuse could have a decremental affect on your records

I know I do abuse alcohol - everything like prolactin levels being high comes down to alcohol abuse. I feel depressed = alcohol..

P

Pollypop

Even after 12yrs solid without alcohol my psychiatrist still
put alcohol dependence syndrome - currently abstinent.

H

HHRT1

The way I see it, it seems like a alcohol abuse. If you use it as an anxyolytic function then you are abusing it. If we talk about a cultural point of view you could be right, but for a medic this is clearly abuse and you shouldn’t hide anything.
Hello Linus, thank you for your point of view. But, I don't see using alcohol as different from using other medications. At least this way I only use it as needed and I haven't experienced any side effects like the "traditional" medications I've been on. I do realize I must be very careful so I do not become an alcoholic. I will keep the point of view of a medic in mind when I speak to my GP. Thanks again.

Warrior

Warrior

@HHRT1 I've seen many things over the years added about myself and I've confronted the doctors and that's one thing they hate about a patient and the next thing throwed off and the same with a rheumo who tried making me look small, he sent a letter to my GP and told him he didn't like being talked back to in medical terms.

I've been with my GP for years now but when I went with him he only gave me a 3mths trial basis more or less on good behaviour (n)

H

HHRT1

@HHRT1 I've seen many things over the years added about myself and I've confronted the doctors and that's one thing they hate about a patient and the next thing throwed off and the same with a rheumo who tried making me look small, he sent a letter to my GP and told him he didn't like being talked back to in medical terms.

I've been with my GP for years now but when I went with him he only gave me a 3mths trial basis more or less on good behaviour (n)
Thank you, Warrior. I have a feeling this happens more often than we hear about.

Warrior

Warrior

Thank you, Warrior. I have a feeling this happens more often than we hear about.
Yes it does and I think it's totally wrong just because doctor's think they're the means to all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Schizoaffective Forum 13