Having to prove I’m actually sick

• Thread starter Helplessinchicago
  • Start date
H

Helplessinchicago

Does anyone else feel like they have to prove they are struggling in therapy? Like when I go, my therapist asks me how many times I self harmed. I feel like if I say I didn’t that week, then he would think I doing fine, even if I’m actually doing worse than before. And sometimes I self harm, by so that I can tell him I did and that way he knows I’m really struggling that week.

G

Girl interupted

You have to be comfortable enough to verbalize how you feel. Like how you said it here. That blunt.

If you can’t do that then you should have a conversation with your therapist about how you are editing your true thoughts. It will help open you up and develop a new layer of trust so that you have a firm enough foundation to tackle the really grim stuff.

But you owe it to yourself to determine why you are editing.

L

linus

Assuming what the therapist think it’s a bad way to deal with the therapy. He/she are making notes for certain “measurable” things so they can come back later to discuss.

Luci

Luci

I would tell your therapist you don't want to talk about self harming if that's how it makes you feel. Therapy is for you, your safe space, and it obviously isn't being led in a way you are comfortable with. If you dont feel you could discuss this with him/her maybe think about writing it down? They are paid an awful lot to do this job, they should be doing it in a way that is beneficial to you x

megirl

megirl

I find it can take some time to gain trust it seems silly but even with my support worker I would give him a little information I had never told anyone, then a little more, I sense no negative judgement little bit at a time.
And then theirs stuff that you may find at some point you are comfortable discussing it, but that is your choice and they should respect that