• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Having to accept I may never be understood

B

biggerdandy

My family have shown over the years that they just cannot understand me, and Im starting to accept (or have to accept) that it may be the case this situation wont change.

They dont listen to me, they consistantly say unhelpful things to me asking me to 'ignore' my depression because 'whats done is done' and 'it upsets them and pains them to see it.' Apparently, my depression effects them worse than it does me.

Had enough.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
People do find mental illness hard to understand.

I wish I had something of value to add but I don't:unsure: Just wanted to send my love xxx

G

Gredge23

I feel ya bigger dandy , I feel the same to this day , I have opened up to my parents in numerous occasions and still they just don't understand the quagmire that is my illnesses , and I have now come to accept hey never will , it's a lonely place but I have others I can talk to and who understand me , do u have this?

And I also get unhelpful things only the other night I wasn't feeling well I opened up to what was going on all I got was a shake of the head and a "cop on Graham"

Gee thanks a bunch , your not alone :)

chazxxx

chazxxx

I could have wrote this.

Completely get where your coming from. Noone seems to believe understand or care about me at all, i felt so little understood and completely disbelieved that I was starting to think maybe they are right and there isn't anything wrong with me at all and the way I am is just the way I am. Which just makes me want to not be here if this is all what life is. I have to believe im depressed because then there's hope that things can change and get better, if it's just me then there is no hope.

Sorry I got off track with that. And I'm sorry I don't have any advice really but i definately know the not being understood thing. When I first told my parents, they didn't believe me and they seemed to be personally hurt and offended by how I felt. It made them uncomfortable and that was the first and last time it ever got mentioned. It was easier for them to just ignore it and make it go away and because they can ignore what bothers them they seem to think we can just ignore our depression too and it'll just go away. It just really does seem to be a case of if you haven't experienced it, it's really hard to understand how it feels.

katya

katya

It's so hard not to be understood by the people closest to you. I know what you mean. It's good to form other relationships with people who do understand, though. There are lots of people who do.

:hug1:

B

biggerdandy

Thanks everyone

currently I feel quite emotionally divorced from them all. In some ways thats good. I can't ask them for what they can't give, it wouldnt be fair on them. What I can do for myself is give myself the love and acceptance I need, and work towards a better future for myself independant of them.

Last two days I managed to get a lot of things underway for my future as far as potential animation jobs and cracked down to a lot of other work today, looking at properties to take on after finishing uni and saving for my dream holiday post graduation