• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Having lots of bpd traits but possible to not have full diagnosis?

W

WhySoSerious

you don't have to have every single trait to have BPD. So there is nothing wrong in looking for help with the problems you have that are BPD traits, if it is something that can help you to manage those problems.
I think you have to have 4 or 5 of the criteria for a diagnosis (someone can clarify). Many programs will not accept you for treatment without a formal diagnosis (in the UK at least).

The new DSM5 is even more wide ranging though.

ness15

ness15

I'm the same as you i
[QUOTE="Soladel, post: 1998638,

So basically i'm curious if this is any common of a thing where you'll be treated for alot of traits of bpd but maybe not being given a full diagnosis. I guess in my head i just wanted a yes or no answer but am kinda in a mixed area where i'm not sure if there's a full diagnosis or not, and just kinda worried that if i do have full diagnosis i'm only being treated for having traits, although maybe that's ultimately the same thing? So sorry for the long ramble and history lesson on myself when i just needed to ask how other people came about getting diagnosed and if my situation is possibly common. Thank you for reading.
[/QUOTE]

I can totally relate. I show traits of bpd but don't fit the entire diagnosis. I also show traits of bipolar but don't fit all the criteria. I agree with you, I think it would be easier just to have a straight answer, as sometimes I don't know what's going on!

ness15

ness15

Sorry guys new at this! Was meant to quote but it didn't work!

O

Orphanannie89

Hi, last year i found out about borderline personality disorder and it seemed to make alot of things i was struggling with make sense, especially when looking at quiet type borderline. The black and white thinking(i can go from thinking highly of someone than one bad thing happens, in my head or not and i'll think they hate me causing me to run to avoid rejection), constant need of reassurances, feelings of emptyness, sudden kind of out of nowhere mood shifts, and having very intense emotions towards things good or bad(but bad ones are really bad), and i use to be suicidal(attempted once), and very reckless with money although the last two i don't struggle with as much anymore.

So i went to a new psychiatrist(it had been a few years since i saw one) told them about my depression and social anxiety issues and asked if they could give me an evaluation on if i had bpd. They never gave me a full evaluation but just asked me some questions and had me explain my symptoms and told me they see alot of borderline traits in me but never gave a full diagnosis that i'm aware of but did go about treating me for it and suggested i seek therapy, and put me on risperidone for the bpd symptoms. So i explained all my issues to my new therapist and how i was being treated and she at the very least saw alot of traits as well and was starting my therapy with the goals of improving depression, social phobia, and interpersonal relationships.

Now it's been a few months of me going to therapy and i guess i just wanted final verification on if i have a bpd diagnosis so asked her what all she would diagnosis me with, but didn't seem to want to go with a full diagnosis of bpd but did say how she saw alot of the traits(we had been discussing issues that are tied to bpd, so we knew i had atleast some of the issues in our talks) but that i should just focus on symptoms as with time those can change and thus change a possible diagnosis. She seemed kinda like she didn't want me to worry about having a bpd label.

So basically i'm curious if this is any common of a thing where you'll be treated for alot of traits of bpd but maybe not being given a full diagnosis. I guess in my head i just wanted a yes or no answer but am kinda in a mixed area where i'm not sure if there's a full diagnosis or not, and just kinda worried that if i do have full diagnosis i'm only being treated for having traits, although maybe that's ultimately the same thing? So sorry for the long ramble and history lesson on myself when i just needed to ask how other people came about getting diagnosed and if my situation is possibly common. Thank you for reading.
Hello my love. I too have had the same discussion with my psychiatrist. I dont know whether I should but I have drawn a conclusion that the disorder is something you are born with and if you are told you have the traits then these have come about from environmental factors such as trauma. I could be wrong so apologize if I am. I have drawn my own conclusion from talking to my psychiatrist. Xx