• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Having issues with self harm

I

Imnotworthy

I literally have no support asked my roommate for help ive been self harming and having suicidal ideations I asked him to take the stuff I've been using to self harm cause I can't stop and can't seem to throw it away all he said is I need a hobby and telling me and I quote that shit pisses me off my ex wife use to do that and left the stuff

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I'm so sorry that you are struggling so much at the moment. It is very serious self harming and also having suicidal thoughts is not something we should ignore either.

Are you seeing a doctor about this?

It sounds like you roomate is not able to, or does not want to, be involved in your mental health difficulties. That is their personal decision and doesn't mean they don't want to be your friend. There aren't many people who want to or feel they can cope with a friend or relative going through this.

A hobby can be a distraction from bad feelings, but you might need professional support at the moment. A hobby might help in addition to other support.

Is your family able to support you with this?

Please keep talking to us because many people on the forum feel the same way you do and live with self harm and suicidal thoughts. I have been through suicidal thoughts and also took an overdose once. It is a desperate feeling.

Throw those things away you are using. Do it when you wake it, in an outside bin somewhere you cannot take it out again. Please don't buy any more, i don't want you to hurt yourself.

Try to reduce stress and rest. Do anything that makes you feel a little bit better and maybe make an appointment with someone who can help you.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I'm posting this below to make sure you have a number to call, if you feel desperate at any time.

If you’re thinking about suicide and are in immediate danger, please call your local emergency number (i.e. in the UK call 999, in the USA or Canada call 911, in Australia call 000 and in New Zealand call 111) or call the international emergency number of 112.

If you have been affected by the contents of this thread and would like to speak to someone about your feelings you can call one of the following helplines:

In the UK and Ireland, the Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123.
In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
In Canada, the Suicide Prevention Service on 1.833.456.4566.
In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.
In New Zealand, the Need to Talk service is on 1737 or 080017371737.
Other international helplines can be found at www.befrienders.org

F

Failing Heart

I literally have no support asked my roommate for help ive been self harming and having suicidal ideations I asked him to take the stuff I've been using to self harm cause I can't stop and can't seem to throw it away all he said is I need a hobby and telling me and I quote that shit pisses me off my ex wife use to do that and left the stuff
Tawny gave some great advice and resources friend. Many of us here know how horrible it is to feel what you are feeling. I know what it’s like to feel alone too (your Roomate seems like a jerk). Reach out to a professional!!!! There is no shame in that. One thing that has helped me more than anything else when I’m in my deepest depressions is having a high energy dog. It feels good to have something else need you, seek out your attention, show excitement that you are home, force you to walk outside, and look into your eyes with complete adoration.
hang in there! This will not last forever, I promise.

I

Imnotworthy

I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow afraid their gonna wanna put me back inpatient. Don't know if I can do that again felt trapped

I

Imnotworthy

I'm so sorry that you are struggling so much at the moment. It is very serious self harming and also having suicidal thoughts is not something we should ignore either.

Are you seeing a doctor about this?

It sounds like you roomate is not able to, or does not want to, be involved in your mental health difficulties. That is their personal decision and doesn't mean they don't want to be your friend. There aren't many people who want to or feel they can cope with a friend or relative going through this.

A hobby can be a distraction from bad feelings, but you might need professional support at the moment. A hobby might help in addition to other support.

Is your family able to support you with this?

Please keep talking to us because many people on the forum feel the same way you do and live with self harm and suicidal thoughts. I have been through suicidal thoughts and also took an overdose once. It is a desperate feeling.

Throw those things away you are using. Do it when you wake it, in an outside bin somewhere you cannot take it out again. Please don't buy any more, i don't want you to hurt yourself.

Try to reduce stress and rest. Do anything that makes you feel a little bit better and maybe make an appointment with someone who can help you.
Ive tried throwing it out but than as I'm about to my mind starts thinking what will I do I'd rather feel physical pain than emotional so I back away from throwing it out cause I'm scared to show my emotions

F

Failing Heart

Ive tried throwing it out but than as I'm about to my mind starts thinking what will I do I'd rather feel physical pain than emotional so I back away from throwing it out cause I'm scared to show my emotions
You are going to have to retrain yourself so that you let yourself feel the emotional pain… For years and years I denied myself feeling by pushing them deep down. Of course that doesn’t work and I eventually explode. Please please please see a professional!

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Im really sorry to hear that your going through such a ruff time! If throwing everything out right now feels too overwhelming; hows about taking a baby step and just remove 1 item first? I think you should just take things slow right now and don't do anything you're not comfortable doing.

I know your roommates aren't much help right now, but they might not know how to help you or even know how to help you. I think its best that you get help from a professional if possible or someone that understands what you are going through.

By the way...you are most definitely worthy!

B

boffin1252

What stuff have you been using to self harm?