having faith in everyday situations

pro-procrastinator

pro-procrastinator

this topic is related paranoia.

i'm trying to use facebook, i'm still not entirely on board with it. my history with it is that I basically stopped using it after a months use about 10 years ago. I deactivated and removed my account to the best I could. this year I setup a new account. I started to try and interact with it the other day and it asked me for a photograph to confirm my identity. right away my instinctual reaction was nope! nope! nope! and a degree of hostility and cynicism towards the website. why do they need my photograph? what are they going to do with this personal information? can I not just remain anonymous?
then a further line of questioning, they need to make money... they've been in the news lately for peoples distrust in how they use personal information.

ok so maybe they say they might need the photo to help root out any bots or to confirm its genuine.... but is that just a smokescreen for something else, and they are just saying its to help improve the site so they can get away with asking for personal data and to stop people asking questions?

I have nothing to hide, but I am a person with mental health issues so privacy is important to my mental wellbeing, I don't want a site to cause me further mental distress and worrying. I think most of us appreciate privacy but especially those of us who consider ourselves to be vulnerable have particular fears with this sort of thing.
I would like to use that site but my paranoia is running rampant again.

Victorianna

Victorianna

Hmmm. This must be new. I'm on Facebook, and they didn't used to ask for a picture, but it's been a long time ago that I first joined. Must be something they're doing so they can weed out bots and spammers.
Anyway, do you have some old baby picture or something you can use, which wouldn't give your current identity away?
There are a lot of good mental health groups on Facebook - that's mostly what I'm using it for.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I came off Facebook a couple of years ago because of the way adverts kept popping up. I’ve recently gone back on but rarely post but I was never asked for a picture. But not long ago my intstagram account was hacked and I couldn’t get into it and to get back on line they sent a number which they wanted me to take a picture of me holding it. I didn’t fancy sending a picture of myself to some unknown entity so I set up a new account and didn’t need a picture for that