• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Having a bad panic attack

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Having a bad panic attack
I swear I've had enough,
Can't handle it no more....

I feel sad, really sad....

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm sorry to whoever said this in their signature as I forgot their name, but they said this...

"It's ok if the only thing you did today was breath".

I really hope you feel better soon. Your voices and experiences are some of the worst I've ever heard of and you have my deepest sympathies. For you to still be here with us and breathing is a testament to your strength and resilience. You may just be the strongest of us all.

I believe it was my voice that woke me up one morning in a panic, I suddenly sat straight up in bed with sweat pouring off me and had an increased heart rate for no apparent reason, I don't recall having any kind of bad dream it was just pure panic and adrenaline.

Is that what it's like for this panic attack? Pure adrenaline and panic without any reason for it?

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

I'm sorry to whoever said this in their signature as I forgot their name, but they said this...

"It's ok if the only thing you did today was breath".

I really hope you feel better soon. Your voices and experiences are some of the worst I've ever heard of and you have my deepest sympathies. For you to still be here with us and breathing is a testament to your strength and resilience. You may just be the strongest of us all.

I believe it was my voice that woke me up one morning in a panic, I suddenly sat straight up in bed with sweat pouring off me and had an increased heart rate for no apparent reason, I don't recall having any kind of bad dream it was just pure panic and adrenaline.

Is that what it's like for this panic attack? Pure adrenaline and panic without any reason for it?
Yea that sounds like a panic attack,
How often you been getting them?

Im not the strongest probably the weakest

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
I went through a long phase of horrible panic attacks following a death. It always felt like I was choking and couldn't breathe.

I found that chewing a throat lozenge really helped - stopped my mouth drying with fear and counteracted the choking sensation. I used to breathe in slow and shallow to the count of five, hold for five beats and gently exhale for 5 - otherwise, I panicked and over-breathed.

Bizarre as it sounds - massaging my feet also really helped me relax. You don't need to get exotic - just grab some olive oil from the kitchen or some body lotion and massage your feet slowly. I swear by it. :hug:

Sending you lots of love, Soul. xxx

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

I went through a long phase of horrible panic attacks following a death. It always felt like I was choking and couldn't breathe.

I found that chewing a throat lozenge really helped - stopped my mouth drying with fear and counteracted the choking sensation. I used to breathe in slow and shallow to the count of five, hold for five beats and gently exhale for 5 - otherwise, I panicked and over-breathed.

Bizarre as it sounds - massaging my feet also really helped me relax. You don't need to get exotic - just grab some olive oil from the kitchen or some body lotion and massage your feet slowly. I swear by it. :hug:

Sending you lots of love, Soul. xxx
Thanks ill try it out

T

Telfsey

When I was seeing my psychologist, the most valuable thing that he told me was that if you take long and deep breaths it is impossible to have a panic attack or it for continue, as your body can't do those two things together (panic attack and deep breaths). I suffered with really debilitating ones in the past but this is the only thing that has ever clicked with me. He said once you know it, you can't unknow it and I find that to be true. Now if I start to feel a bit panicky my subconscious kicks in with the deep breathing. Before I was told that I literally did yoga for a hour a day and that stopped those particular episodes too.