• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have you picked up any valuable life lessons through having a mental illness?

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

Is there anything that it's has taught you about people or about life in general? Has living with a mental illness affected your attitude towards people or affected your perception of them in a positive or negative way? Has it made you more patient? More tolerant? More understand and empathetic? Or just the opposite? Maybe less tolerant? Less trusting?

I'm just curious. I hate living like this, but I'll admit that I don't think I'd be as tolerant or empathetic if I'd never experienced a mental illness in my life. These traits probably don't come naturally to my personality, but my low self-esteem and poor mental health has made it possible for me to be a better version of me in some ways. What about you lot?

Ramson mash

Ramson mash

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have discovered my threshold for mental anguish. I know how fragile i can be in my vulnerable state. Its just a case of slowly building my strength up.
My aim is to be in a position where i can completely reject any notion that i am mentally ill.
No meds, no co ordinator, no help whatsoever. Just me back on track and earning money to support my family.

So, i have discovered that having a mental illness puts you in a box which is hard to escape from.

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

i guess its taught me not to judge people so quickly ,
Also to think for a moment before i speak,

i hate this illness too, its affected me in many ways, i feel like half a person ,
i tend to hide away from the the world,
i also beat myself up mentally , all the time to be honest,
i fight a battle against, god knows what, and its so so tiring

Antimatter

Antimatter

That your kindness is abused by most...

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

I too feel like half a person most of the time, I'm always fighting with the bully in my head (she never stays in her lane), and most people never meet me halfway when I'm being kind or attentive to them or expecting some decency back. Most days it feels like I'm the alien on a planet of superior beings and I can't do anything right.

I think I'm still learning new things every day about the world through the lens of my mental illness. I realised the other day that even I still hold some unconscious biases and false judgements about things and people and I'm working on breaking those down. I want to be a better person. It's always a work in progress.

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

sadly i find that too Antimatter,

ive encountered this ever since god/nature touched me on the shoulder and gave me these problems,
not with everyone but so sadly by some,
its pretty much destroyed my trust in people,
i build a wall around myself now- to quote roger walters , and do not let many in,
i guess i lose out doing this , but its all i know to be honest, and im getting older so change is not easy,
if im to stay sane and alive, i have to protect myself from uncaring humans,

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

sadly i find that too Antimatter,

ive encountered this ever since god/nature touched me on the shoulder and gave me these problems,
not with everyone but so sadly by some,
its pretty much destroyed my trust in people,
i build a wall around myself now- to quote roger walters , and do not let many in,
i guess i lose out doing this , but its all i know to be honest, and im getting older so change is not easy,
if im to stay sane and alive, i have to protect myself from uncaring humans,
I can't say I blame you. I find myself doing this more and more as the years go by. I feel like the older I get, the more people I have to lose along the way. I can't take much more. There's that saying that goes something along the lines of, "you have to take care of yourself before trying to take care of other people." Honestly feels like too many people keep chipping away at my armour. Sometimes it's just easier to keep them all out and isolate yourself from others. To keep yourself sane. But when it comes to the end of my life, I think I'd regret this a bit.

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

I can't say I blame you. I find myself doing this more and more as the years go by. I feel like the older I get, the more people I have to lose along the way. I can't take much more. There's that saying that goes something along the lines of, "you have to take care of yourself before trying to take care of other people." Honestly feels like too many people keep chipping away at my armour. Sometimes it's just easier to keep them all out and isolate yourself from others. To keep yourself sane. But when it comes to the end of my life, I think I'd regret this a bit.
hi

yes , i feel the same,
am i going to look back aged 70, and think why did i shut part of my life off, part of myself, but like you say, the damage that bad people can do to you,
sadly in my case family as well,
ive just extricated my self from a horrid job, its finished me off, it was only a low grade job but i enjoyed it,
until the bullying started , it happened to others there, now it was my turn,
one morning i was hiding under the table there, they would of found that amusing, i didnt,

I came back on to the forum after several months away, i had to do something,
and i met some lovely people here, who have suffered too, it broke my heart to read the things they have had to endure ,
i dont know why some humans are so cruel , i really dont,
i will never understand

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

hi

yes , i feel the same,
am i going to look back aged 70, and think why did i shut part of my life off, part of myself, but like you say, the damage that bad people can do to you,
sadly in my case family as well,
ive just extricated my self from a horrid job, its finished me off, it was only a low grade job but i enjoyed it,
until the bullying started , it happened to others there, now it was my turn,
one morning i was hiding under the table there, they would of found that amusing, i didnt,

I came back on to the forum after several months away, i had to do something,
and i met some lovely people here, who have suffered too, it broke my heart to read the things they have had to endure ,
i dont know why some humans are so cruel , i really dont,
i will never understand
I'm so sorry that you had to lose your job. Especially as you enjoyed it! It's heartbreaking that these bullies could lack so much empathy with you. I don't get what they could stand to gain from all that. One of the most frustrating things is that I've found a lot of people who've attempted to belittle or bully me in the past put things on their twitter bio like #mental health or "anti-bullying" or #stay positive. They treat us badly but try to claim that they are caring people.

Family has been very awful with me too. They have been dismissive, invalidating, belittling, emotionally abusive. I can't count on them, but they've always been able to count on me. I go out of my way for them. I'll be that idiot who sits in a waiting room with them for 7 hours so they can lean on me, even when they're abusive, but I never get the same in return.

Whenever I have these panic attacks, they act like I'm seeking attention or making it all up, or roll their eyes and, in my brother's words, "how is this helping?" As though it's always my job to help them, but never the other way around. They always make the panic attacks longer and more severe. And once I start showing more severe symptoms that they can see like violent tics and hypervigilance, they shout at me to stop and become very scared of me. As though I've ever hurt them. Right now is a classic example of their "unconditional support". I tried to speak to my mum a few minutes ago and she barely glanced at me, looked very uncomfortable and just gave me the silent treatment. She often sits there like a brick wall and doesn't acknowledge me. She's very different with my siblings. I always have to guess what I've done wrong. It's her manipulative way of controlling me. She loves to reel me in like this. I'm really done. My crisis team have advised me to get out and far away from this, so I'm in the process of doing this, but it could be a few months before I can make it happen.

W

WanderingA

I have anxiety and depression. Anxiety isn't as bad now but depression hits me hard some days. I feel more empathy towards people, and I've learnt so much but The one thing that's getting me through is I'm not the only one. And as bad as I feel there is always someone out there who is alot worse off than I am not just with mental health but general health issues.. So even though I'm having a bad day I always think there's someone out there laying in a hospital bed begging for a 2nd chance begging not to go towards the light! And that gives me a reason to fight! Fight for my life that my brain has taken control of!

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

Don't know what I've just done.
hi. are you ok,

oh my god that sounds awful, im so sorry,
its a nightmare to cope with family doing this ,

my brain get all fogged and jammed up. it takes me ages to type things , i get in a panic,
ive gotta talk on the phone in fifteen minutes to the salvation army guy, do i tell the truth , or do i pretend im coping,

im here for you, if your okay to talk about things,

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

hi. are you ok,

oh my god that sounds awful, im so sorry,
its a nightmare to cope with family doing this ,

my brain get all fogged and jammed up. it takes me ages to type things , i get in a panic,
ive gotta talk on the phone in fifteen minutes to the salvation army guy, do i tell the truth , or do i pretend im coping,

im here for you, if your okay to talk about things,
Hi! Thank you, I'm alright. Just trying to take everything one step at a time and keep planning my escape.

I hope your chat with the salvation army went alright. I think it's more helpful to you if you try to be as honest as possible with them so they can help. But I know how uncomfortable and difficult that can be. I often hold back and omit things from people who are there to help me as I fear the repercussions. I've held back with therapists in the past, and even with my crisis team. But I think in the end, omitting details hasn't helped me. I hope everything is ok with you.

jajingna

jajingna

I'm glad to feel sane most of the time. I've been through a few nightmares. I can appreciate simply feeling OK. It's helping me feel more competent and capable.

It's a slippery thing though. Even during the waking hours of just one day, it seems like I experience a lot emotionally. My mind is overactive these days, all sorts of nonsense going on. Being on these forums I guess has awakened some old stuff, some touchy ground. The past is heavy with me, full of shadows. I don't want everything to come out of hiding, just a little here and there so I can have a look at it.

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

Hi! Thank you, I'm alright. Just trying to take everything one step at a time and keep planning my escape.

I hope your chat with the salvation army went alright. I think it's more helpful to you if you try to be as honest as possible with them so they can help. But I know how uncomfortable and difficult that can be. I often hold back and omit things from people who are there to help me as I fear the repercussions. I've held back with therapists in the past, and even with my crisis team. But I think in the end, omitting details hasn't helped me. I hope everything is ok with you.
hi,

thats good , your okay,

yes im still here, i havnt gone mad yet, ha ha, not quite,

yes nice person from the sally army,

yes me too, im afraid to tell them too much, but like u said, honesty is the best option,

how is your mum now, hope its okay with her,

my mum has bi polar , so its kind of different each day with her,

yes , one step at a time is the key,

its good to talk to talk to you