have you never been able to work because of your mental health?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
ive never worked and dont think i will ever be able to because of the severity of my difficulties
im scared what this means ,im only 35 and ive already been put in the wrag group twice but won the appeals
i dont think the goverment will let me not work forever no matter how ill i am so ive got poverty and homelessness to look forward to as well as cripling mh difficulties xx

M

misssadness

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I totally understand your worries as I cannot work either and I am so scared my benefits will be stopped and I will be found capeable of work. I know I will never be able to work as I am just too unwell. You have a social worker and that is very good evidence for your case. I know it is in the news a lot about stopping benefits and it is very scary hearing it all.:hug1:

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
also im scared they will put me on jsa because who can survive on that? and now mummy has died i have to pay the bedroom tax :low: i dont want to move because its too much trouble and the stress would kill me
what if i have to pay the bedroom tax on £70 a week-so scared
ive never known anyone worry about the future as much as i do x

M

misssadness

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am 33. It is going to be really tough for you to have to pay bedroom tax and I understand why you do not want to move as this is your home and you are happy there. What do the support workers say about your benefits?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
im 35 so we are really close in age xx ,im being referred to the benefits advisors to see if i can get more benefits ,i may be able to get a higher rate of dla now mum had died because she was my carer ,now i have to bring care in xx

M

misssadness

ACCOUNT CLOSED
That sounds positive. I am certain you will be able to get more benefits as you do really need them. It sounds like it will work well and there is nothing to be worried about. :)

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
On one hand i think it's a real worry. i used to work between breakdowns & hospitalisations - was in around 8 years of full time work - as a chef, skilled labourer & garden nursery work, as well as some various other stuff. i've also completed 7 years of further education & kept busy with a variety of interests & hobbies. i used to work in a carpentry workshop - have trained in a lot of alternative healing modalities. Read a lot, all sorts.

Currently i'm Not well enough to be in work & am dependent on the benefits. Sadly we have to fight out corner - i had to argue my case for an hour at tribunal & go through the entire appeal process largely on my own for ESA - No doubt it will be the same with PIP, but i currently have the backing of an independent semi retired consultant psychiatrist & am a lot more clued up as to what to do with it all, as regards to rights & legal procedures.

Reality is people are having benefits stopped & some are dying. Suppose that's life & the realities of this society/system - People have created, perpetuated & endorsed it all. The inhumanity of humanity; we're living in a very sick society/culture.

One thing i'm a survivor - i'll do what's necessary & what it takes to survive & i've got good at it. Life in part is the struggle for physical survival. We could all be living in a far better World, But that won't happen until we collectively evolve beyond the collective morass of stupidity, & retarded consciousness we're currently stuck in. Things are likely to get far far worse as well before they get better.

F

firemonkee57

I am 58 and probably less than good because I have never worked. They(then care co-ordinator) did one of those many assessments they do a few years ago and the best possible outcome was marked as- sheltered and supported employment. Indicating mainstream competitive employment wasn't a viable proposition.

HannahJ

HannahJ

You're not alone babe I've never been able to work due to my MH and I doubt I ever will, I didn't even attend my last 2 school years because of my MH.

Even if there was some sort of work I could do from home or anonymously I'd be unable to do it as I'm always so tired and to be honest any sort of work at all would just make me and my conditions worse. Xx

life2live

life2live

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have tried hard to work through mh issues but its very hard. If I win the lottery I will setup a MH work scheme for everyone!

N

NAartist

Hi,

I thought I'd share a few things that might help. I used to work and study etc and did my job well, mainly because it was easy and I would be on auto pilot, I didn't have to think too hard. But any jobs I've done where I have to use my brain have been difficult, that includes studying. Problems were usually having the inability to think or form a sentence or having to talk to others, worse still having to do some sort of presentation. So at the moment I shy away from any type of work that includes that.

I found working at a restaurant was one of my easiest jobs, I could just hang back in the kitchen and do the cleaning etc there without having to talk to anyone, which made being at work easier. When I did have to talk to staff or customers I had to fake it, but I had a routine, which worked.

After a bad turn, I quit my job and became unemployed, I have to admit it made me feel worse, not because I couldn't work but because of the way I was treated whilst being at the job centre, it can be one of the most depressing places ever.

After a few years of suffering at the JC, I decided to start my own business, it's not much and I get by as I can work when I want, that has made things a whole lot easier. In regards to money, tax credits really help, if you are on a low income, you get money coming in (the amount depends on your circumstances). You can also still get housing benefit etc. Maybe that's something to look into? It might help as worrying about money, food and shelter just makes everything worse.

J

Jules5

I have not worked in 3 years-My mental health started to go down hill about two years ago I became psychotic. I was robbed an injuried pretty badly took 6 months to recover from surgery and all the imobility that I was going through. I would rather work but I am not a good employee I have a big mouth and do not hold back what I am thinking when put into a corner. I always fight it out and end up jobless. I hate myself for this as I had some pretty good jobs. Now I am 58 years old and feel all washed up. So I am trying to get on disability income we will see how this works.

It is so fun to read old post and wander what ever happen to the posters I wish they would get back on for a follow up on there life after 3 to 5 years pass I wander where I will be at in 5 years. No control over the future and whether you have a job or on benefits nothing is stone. there is always something that will threaten your well being. Thanks for the post wishing everyone well Hugs

Skynet

Skynet

I'm 29 and have never worked; I live with my parents. Hoping to never work, i.e., rely on my parents and their savings for the rest of my life. It's not like I can work, though, with bipolar, OCD and occasional episodes of psychosis.

J

JasonR28

I worked for about 4 years and in the end had to leave because of MH. Things were getting worse over the years and due to the NHS not giving me the right help, I couldn't work any more.

I was hoping to only be out of work for a year tops while I tried once more to get the right help from the NHS. It wasn't to be though. In fact I was so disgusted at what the doctor said to me that time I put in a complaint. Another GP who investigated phoned me up calling me, to quote "a liar. I haven't worked since (and that was about 7 years ago)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

Flameheart (was BPDevil)

havent even started working, college was enough to send me over the edge so my life is fucked

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

I used to work but ever since my mental health became worse I've not been able too
With the way my illness is I know I don't think ilk be able to ever work again

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

i did work with it in college then after getting my dream job i had a bad experience with the boss i won't go into but i contemplated suicide on the way home on the train was not a good time

N

natalie

Right from the word go, and I am going back many moons ago, now i haven't even checked via the mental health team (chmt) I once asked my former senior GP chief, if I could do part time paid work even though what with mental health implied, and she said, I can't work.

Years, later I put the test to the present and our family main Senior GP, and he felt I had been stablised for many many years, and he felt that I could undertake part time paid work, as long as it wasn't anything too stressful.

On the other hand, I am stuck, can't work wise, because I have the benefits office to thnk of, they confirmed in their response in my receipt of benefit application, and I quote, I can't do paid work, however I can do voluntary.

So there we have it, I am happily stuck with benefits, and doing voluntary work, on ad hoc basis.

Best regards all.