• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Have you experienced professionals accusing you of lying about psychotic symptoms?

E

emmaleemochizuki

I experienced that from some professionals.

Ultimately what that led to is me never speaking about it again, and just feeling like it must be me that is at fault, and clearly there's nothing wrong with me like I already thought. Until it was so tormenting that I attempted suicide and I was sectioned.

I think it is so cruel it took me so much courage to tell someone what I was going through, bare in mind how scared I was of everything already then to have someone say you are lying.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Some of them behave so appallingly. Don't let it put you off asking the service for help though.

N

Nate

Ultimately what that led to is me never speaking about it again, and just feeling like it must be me that is at fault, and clearly there's nothing wrong with me like I already thought. Until it was so tormenting that I attempted suicide and I was sectioned.

I think it is so cruel it took me so much courage to tell someone what I was going through, bare in mind how scared I was of everything already then to have someone say you are lying.
I had a doc at the state hospital tell me that my symptoms were to perfect and that it couldn't be real.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I had a crisis counselor tell me once that I only attempted suicide to get attention from my parents as a way to manipulate them and that they were not going to admit me to the hospital as a result. I was so appalled because there was no evidence to suggest that this was the case. I went home and eventually attempted again. I will never forget how negligent that stupid woman was, though, and how terrible she made me feel by basically calling me a liar at my lowest point. xo, j

L

Lab rat

My current doc is a new one who doesn’t believe a word I say. But that’s the least of my problems 😡

albagobragh

albagobragh

They haven't accused me of lying but have sought second opinions due to some of the stuff I have said. I've told them that, due to past experience, I will say I am doing well even if I am not.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

The doctor I spent the most time with was a therapist I don't see anymore. I felt our time had come to an end and I don't think she was able to help me from a cost/benefit standpoint. $225/hr out of my pocket when I had no job and watching my finances vanish was hard to watch.

It super pissed me off when I honestly filled out all the questions to get an official diagnosis from her. I saw her again a few days later to go over the results and the computer was in agreement with me about what I thought about myself. She scolded me for making stuff up and told me my life isn't that bad. That was the beginning of the end in our relationship. At that time I was experiencing a great deal of pain. She refused to see it. She did provide some help. But in all honestly I want lots of the $12,000 I spent on her back. I really think she was just taking my money because I was willing to give it to her.

albagobragh

albagobragh

The doctor I spent the most time with was a therapist I don't see anymore. I felt our time had come to an end and I don't think she was able to help me from a cost/benefit standpoint. $225/hr out of my pocket when I had no job and watching my finances vanish was hard to watch.

It super pissed me off when I honestly filled out all the questions to get an official diagnosis from her. I saw her again a few days later to go over the results and the computer was in agreement with me about what I thought about myself. She scolded me for making stuff up and told me my life isn't that bad. That was the beginning of the end in our relationship. At that time I was experiencing a great deal of pain. She refused to see it. She did provide some help. But in all honestly I want lots of the $12,000 I spent on her back. I really think she was just taking my money because I was willing to give it to her.
$225/hr! I have to say that if I had to pay for psychiatric therapy I wouldn't. It sounds though that even though she provided some help, she wasn't a good one. Did you see someone else or sort things out yourself?

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I ran out of money. At the same time I was fortunate enough to get a girlfriend. Her companionship solved a lot of my problems. We are not together anymore but she showed up at a time I needed someone. At this point I feel like I know what I need to do. I just need time and effort on my part to get better. Getting there... slowly... I think...

albagobragh

albagobragh

It's interesting that someone helped you who wasn't involved in your therapy and I'm glad she did. I've seen quite a few psychiatric doctors some good, some bad but the common theme for me was that they were trying to push medication - something I didn't want. If you don't mind me asking, when you say you need some time and effort to get better, can I ask what needs to get better?

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I've had doctors push meds on me as well. It felt like a legal drug deal. For me, meds might help, but are not the solution.

For me the issue is hiding from my issues. For years I have used TV. I'm not even watching it. I can't concentrate well enough to follow along. But the distraction consumes my eyes and ears and I'm able to block everything else out.

That's no good. A distraction should not consume my life. So right now my priorities are making sure I keep my job, self care for me and the dog. I still watch lots of TV. but less now. I'm trying to cook good food. Wake up happy is something I'm getting better at. I take lots of breaks and also try to get stuff done. I have been still for way too long liking my wounds. I have done lots of deep breathing exercises. And posting here helps me feel connected to something. Thats helpful as well. I didn't explain myself as well as I wanted. Things are busy at work today. I need to go focus on that for a while.

L

llittlelostlady

Professionals are full of bollocks

F

futurista

Sometimes they accuse me of not sharing with them all the symptoms I experience.