• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Have you ever called a suicide helpline? How did it go?

U

uniongard

I'm afraid to try it. I'm not sure if that's because I think it won't help, or if I think that it will. Suicidal ideation is a weird thing sometimes.

Z

Zoe1

hi uniongard please do try the helpline ...

if you can get through to them the chances are it will help
that is the better bet

if you can't get through or don't find them helpful
then get back to us about it

:hug:

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I called them once and the phone rang and rang and rang and nobody ever answered. I kid you not. I needed to talk to somebody bad and nobody answered. Not good.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
Sometimes it can help to just talk things out. It's like a release valve and the immediate pressure is hopefully reduced. It has varied for me in outcome because you are gambling on random people. Just like every person, you get people who are competent and others you wonder why you bothered. But if you don't take that risk you won't know if it could have been a help or not. Even if its not it might be the next time or with a different crisis number. Good luck in the gamble.

E

EclipticNight

My problem was i was always so incredibly depressed i didnt want to ever talk to anyone. I read a ton of stories, some are horror and some were really nice. Never know what you will get.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I called the suicide hotline twice on different occasions. The persons I spoke to were not very helpful. One person I spoke to just paused a lot. They didn't seem to listen to me or give me words of encouragement. It was very awkward.

JessisMe

JessisMe

The first time I called one an older woman answered and asked me why I was calling (in case it wasn’t obvious). After I told her she shrieked “WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT???!!!” It was pretty ridiculous. After calling the same helpline I always got people who were great communicators, very kind snd very helpful. I don’t know that it made a huge difference to me in. the way I felt about things but it was good to have someone to talk with about things. I would recommend calling one if you are thinking about it. Nothing bad can come of it. Worst case scenario you will be disappointed with the response. They only call emergency services to your house to check on you if you are actively engaging in suicidal behavior. Very nice people, time well spent. xo, j

JessisMe

JessisMe

I called the suicide hotline twice on different occasions. The persons I spoke to were not very helpful. One person I spoke to just paused a lot. They didn't seem to listen to me or give me words of encouragement. It was very awkward.
I’ve had good and bad experiences with the NSPH. I think the people answering the phone might be volunteers and have limited training so it’s a coin toss what you end up with.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I called them once and the phone rang and rang and rang and nobody ever answered. I kid you not. I needed to talk to somebody bad and nobody answered. Not good.
For our local mental health crisis line if you call you have to leave a message for a return phone call and it can take them two hours or more to get back to you. I wish more state leaders were in psychiatric crisis more often so they wouldn’t hesitate so much to direct more funding towards mental health care providers who provide services like this. Understaffing can kill. xo, j