• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have You Ever Been Rude to People Because You Were Socially Anxious?

I

IsaD

Have you ever been rude to people because you were frustrated with always being socially anxious around them?
I ignored a neighbor (rudely) and it's inexcusable behavior, I know, but I don't know what to do at this point.
I feel like it's too late to start greeting him. I'll just say hi or apologize the next time I walk past him. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this?

Faith198

Faith198

Yes I have unfortunately. And even if I wasn’t rude about it, it comes off as I’m being rude when I’m not trying to be. I will ignore my neighbors when they say hi.. well most of them. I have nosey ones though.

I wouldn’t apologize imo, just say hi next time they say something or you could say hi first maybe. If you feel comfortable

I

IsaD

Yes I have unfortunately. And even if I wasn’t rude about it, it comes off as I’m being rude when I’m not trying to be. I will ignore my neighbors when they say hi.. well most of them. I have nosey ones though.

I wouldn’t apologize imo, just say hi next time they say something or you could say hi first maybe. If you feel comfortable
Yeah, you're probably right. I'll just wave or say hi the next time I see him. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

I imagine myself being rude to people all the time because of my anxiety, but I've learned that rarely does it come out that way, but people can notice that you are nervous and get spooked because they don't know how to respond to that. I constantly regret things I say due to my anxiety, but people I know tell me it isn't as bad as I make it out to be.

I

IsaD

I imagine myself being rude to people all the time because of my anxiety, but I've learned that rarely does it come out that way, but people can notice that you are nervous and get spooked because they don't know how to respond to that. I constantly regret things I say due to my anxiety, but people I know tell me it isn't as bad as I make it out to be.
I overheard a neighbor say that I was nasty..Now another neighbor gives me dirty looks. I think he may not know I was nervous. He just sees me as a jerk.

Mal84

Mal84

When people first meet me in rl I can come across as rude but it’s just me trying to figure out whether they are okay. As soon as I get to know them I relax.

Pearlriverbridge

Pearlriverbridge

Not on purpose. But I speak very quietly and I always fear that people can't hear me whenever they greet me and I greet them back, and that they'll interpret that combined with my inability to make eye contact with people as rude behavior.

Cherub786

Cherub786

There's nothing wrong with being rude. You people may come across as rude unintentionally. I deliberately go out of my way to be rude. One of you said he has a hard time making eye contact and that may be interpreted as being rude. I, on the other hand, stare the one who greets me right into his eyes with a blank expression and stony silence.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There's nothing wrong with being rude. You people may come across as rude unintentionally. I deliberately go out of my way to be rude. One of you said he has a hard time making eye contact and that may be interpreted as being rude. I, on the other hand, stare the one who greets me right into his eyes with a blank expression and stony silence.
Maybe you have a disorder that explain that, but by majority opinion that's more than rude.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I've been rude because I've been unable to act in the situation as I thought I should have. It's gotten a lot better though. I guess my self esteem has risen significantly so I no longer feel constantly ashamed.

W

WutheringHeights

In the past I came across as stuck-up when I was struggling much more with social anxiety, now I'm just awkward 😁

I

IsaD

In the past I came across as stuck-up when I was struggling much more with social anxiety, now I'm just awkward 😁
hopefully I can also reach the point of just being awkward. I'm trying, but sometimes I come off as a jerk..

R

RedYeti

Have you ever been rude to people because you were frustrated with always being socially anxious around them?
I ignored a neighbor (rudely) and it's inexcusable behavior, I know, but I don't know what to do at this point.
I feel like it's too late to start greeting him. I'll just say hi or apologize the next time I walk past him. Has anyone ever been in a situation like this?
So so so many times, never intentional. If I get a chance I try apologise. Anyone who knows me knows I never intentionally piss people off

Wishes4Rainbows

Wishes4Rainbows

This is an issue that effects my social anxiety too. Either I feel like I'm overcompensating to not be rude, or I'm not compensating enough, so I actually might be coming off as rude. There never seems to be any middle ground.