• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have you ever been bullyed while in hospital?

O

Orecle

Have you ever been bullyed while in hospital?

Passionflower

Passionflower

Yes once I have, by a rather nasty psych nurse

porkpie

porkpie

I'm a fiery Person and if somebody were to take the piss with me I'll give it them back ten fold and I'm also powerfully built guy so that helps.

D

Dissatisfied

it's a power trip, a lot of the staff act like jailers, but I suppose they are really. some people who decide to do psychiatric nursing find they aren't cut out for wards, and go work elsewhere, some love it on the wards, and for many they enjoy the power it gives them

D

Dissatisfied

she should have got the sack for that, I wonder if she is still working there - I doubt it, if she's done that to you, she'd probably do that to others as well.

Darkred

Darkred

I've been attacked multiple times including once by a member of staff. I've had so many threats by other patients much bigger than me and had people go for me a lot as well. There were 2 patients in my last place who bullied everyone but I stuck up for myself and ended up hitting him (not that I condone violence) and that shut him up. There's so many nasty people in hospital both patients and staff.

G

Gredge23

Yes a certain guy used constantly be robbing my stuff my mum brought for me like food and drinks and even robbed 5 euro out of my wallet , I asked around if he was doing it to others people said no , I thought I was paranoid u til one day I seen him walk out of my room with my 2 litre bottle of orange I questioned him on it but he swung a fist at me and missed fell on the floor to which ther was other people around and we all started laughing , which was my revenge for stealing off me :)

F

firemonkee57

Yes and the staff did nothing. Then when I had enough and hit him(big mistake he was at least 4 inches taller and much physically stronger than me and I got pummelled) they transferred me to the closed ward.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Wow, so many shocking experiences here. :sorry:

I can't say i've had it as bad as some other people here, but i've certainly experienced staff treating me like less than human and them seemingly enjoying it.

Thinking about it, i'd actually say that the staff on the adolescent wards were worse than my experience of staff on adult wards - though perhaps i'm not such an easy target as I was in my teens?

But in the "morning meeting" on the teen ward, there was this one git who would get a kick out of humiliating at least one patient in front of all the staff and other patients every single morning.

One day it was my turn.. I even got members of staff (such as the psychologist) come up to me later in that day and tell me that they felt bad for me, yet nobody actually defended me at the time.
Also, it was very common for nurses to say demeaning things about eating disorder patients and to get personally involved in the fall-outs among the girls.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Everyone who has had horrible experiences, call me next time, I'll set those individuals straight *sharpens teeth and claws* :mad:

O

Orecle

Hi,
i was bullied by two members of staff, a year ago, i won't go into detail, because in the four days, i was there i had fifteen genuine causes for complaint. I had previously spent two months out of area, with no problems.
When i asked how to make an official complaint i was told it would be my word against theirs, so don't bother.
at the moment i am not feeling at my best and worried that i may have to go back in. Did you make a complaint?

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I've never made a complaint against staff, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

D

Dissatisfied

the usual procedure is to go through PALS, I found them helpful during last admission, however, if you want to make sure your complaint is being heard by the big wigs in the hospital, you can ask to speak to the opps manager, or even send an email to the chief exec - I did both, PALS, then the ops manager, then later I contacted the chief exec via email, however, but I also told him about my community consultant and how wonderful she is, I got a response straight away from the chief exec.