• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have You Been or are You Dependent (addicted to) Benzodiazepines?

snapshot

snapshot

About 8 months ago my anxiety spiked and I had to take benzos every day just to go to work. Over a couple months I got dependent and could not tell the anxiety from the withdrawal. I was in a world of s*** at that point. Went to a psych hospital to detox. Not fun. Your story?

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
welcome to you snapshot

Sorry you went through that, it must have been tough for you. Are you better after the detox?

My story: Basically, took too many drugs, went mad, am still mad xx

C

Christobel

I used to take benzos (Diazapam) and later Lorazapam for years. I even made up a little song about it when I was in hospital, it began 'I'd love a lorazapam...' I used to literally beg the nurses to give me some, but then I hit on the idea of seeing the Duty Doctor in the hope he would stop my begging routine. All he did was make the same amount available at the meds handout. :)

The good news was that when I got to feeling better I was able to give them up without any nasty withdrawal symptoms.

snapshot

snapshot

Sorry you went through that, it must have been tough for you. Are you better after the detox?
I am better on a daily basis. The docs have put me on a crap load of additional meds so I'm on 7 different ones per day. However, now have no safety net of a benzo backup in super stressful situations. I'm frantically filling my "toolbox" w/ anything suggested to get a handle on this monster.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm sorry, sounds tough.

I haven't any ideas for you i'm afraid.

Maybe someone else will be able to help xxx

fate_w_g

fate_w_g

I used to take benzo's but never got addicted to them luckily. I cannot imagine how hard it must of been for you.

Good luck and hope you can manage to stay away from them.

Kerome

Kerome

I've taken benzo's, lorazepam in particular, for a month and a half continuously, up to 5 mg a day, but managed to avoid addiction. I still have some in the cupboard, for emergencies.

Feel for you being on a shed load of meds, I'm unhappy being on just one, can't imagine what it would be like having to cope with a whole bunch.

Eldritch

Eldritch

Ive been the same path as you, but for me it was Vicodin i got after a surgery. I went from one a week to 2 daily. And I was just doing highschool only! Of course i ran out, going cold turkey was very hard since im really small. I ended up going to class while going through withdrawal. not fun!!!
Ive been off benzos for over a year, but Im still paying the price x.x Bad memory is the worst symptom of it. Im glad you went to a hospital though. Getting good treatment while detoxing is super important.

Crystalized

Crystalized

I am withdrawing from benzos after a decade of taking them on and off. I sometimes abused it. It's been... 10 months now since tapering (I am using diazepam to taper off other benzo) and it is very very difficult since I am sensitive to this substance.

I just wish to stop it once and for all and I really hate benzodiazepines now that they don't serve any purpose for me anymore. The only reason I'm still on a minimal dose is to prevent seizures that might possibly happen due to tapering.

C

cally75

I am withdrawing from benzos after a decade of taking them on and off. I sometimes abused it. It's been... 10 months now since tapering (I am using diazepam to taper off other benzo) and it is very very difficult since I am sensitive to this substance.

I just wish to stop it once and for all and I really hate benzodiazepines now that they don't serve any purpose for me anymore. The only reason I'm still on a minimal dose is to prevent seizures that might possibly happen due to tapering.
Oh I was terrible 20yrs ago. Unprescribed valium (the blues).
At a stage, was taking 30 pills a day. Woke up in strange places like fields with sheep licking my face!

No joke, I didn't know what was going on. Where was I I or how I got there??
Since then, I've was big amphet user (25yrs). I preferred speed cos I was in control. I touch nothing illegal now. U can come back from stuff. That's my story in a nutshell!