• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have you been broken up with because of your depression?

Lizaje

Lizaje

Has someone left you because of your mh problems?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I think so but not certain. Symptoms can seep right in to who you are sometimes. If i had been on medication for my whole life, i would have probably married boyfriend 1 and lived unhappily ever after :)

AdamP72

AdamP72

Memphis TN, center of the musical universe
Indeed I have. Divorced because of it, after 14 years, and broken up with three times since then because of it. I’m extremely familiar with that landscape. Did it happen to you recently?

P

Purpleplum

Usually there's not a lot of common ground between a person with a MH problem in a relationship and a person without one. People identify best with their own kind.

Stardust2020

Stardust2020

My spouse has repeatedly threatened divorce because of my depression, and said he has nothing left to give (emotionally). We live separately together in a most sad excuse of a relationship. I’m not stable enough to go it on my own. I keep my head down, live by his rules and try to prevent him from getting angry.

I have had a good relationship with a person without MH issues (caring understanding insightful person) which I ended.
We remain friends. I don’t consider one type of person my own kind. That hasn’t been my experience.

Both partners were aware of my depression at the start of dating.

Z

Zoe1

I suppose in a way yes
in that some of them wouldn't commit

not that I always wanted commitment
but it wasnt on offer

so I ended it

Lizaje

Lizaje

Usually there's not a lot of common ground between a person with a MH problem in a relationship and a person without one. People identify best with their own kind.
I disagree. I think it's more about personality, especially with less severe issues. Can't say I'd have immediate faith in a couple of whom both have issues.

P

Purpleplum

I disagree. I think it's more about personality, especially with less severe issues. Can't say I'd have immediate faith in a couple of whom both have issues.
I didn't say it works in a couple where both have issues. I was saying they're drawn to each other because of common experiences

UserUnderRepair

UserUnderRepair

I don't think I've been broken up with (although I'm sure it contributed in at least one case), but I've definitely lost friends on a number of occasions, including once losing a whole friendship group in high school. It sucks, and means I'm constantly worried that the same will happen with other friends, even when there is no reason to believe that.

I should say that I'm in a better place now, in a stable and supportive relationship, so it's not necessary that people will leave. But it does sometimes.

P

Prycejosh1987

Has someone left you because of your mh problems?
If someone leaves because of mental health issues, then that person does not really care about you. They should leave and never come back, unless its a misunderstanding.

Stardust2020

Stardust2020

I don’t totally agree... I care about people who have issues or have developed issues over time that have caused our relationship to change or end. Not everyone is cut out to be in a relationship with someone with mh issues. Of course mh issues vary a great deal. As a person with significant life altering mh issues, it would be very difficult for my partner to live with that, no doubt. If this person ended the relationship because of my mh, I view it as sad. He may still care very much about me but doesn’t have the ability to cope. It’d be in my best interests to let it go and move on.