Have voices that seem to be real people

T

TLA

Hi my name is Toby and I live in the US I am 49 years old. About 9 months ago I moved to county to live with my oldest brother and that is when I first started experiencing the voices , at first I thought it was just the neighbors but I would ask my brother about them and he would tell me that only 1 older gentalman lived where I was hearing the voices coming from. It has gotten terribly I have no freedom they talk all day and night I try to go some where and they are right there all the time, I can't bath without them making jokes or us the bathroom and especially cannot have any intimateance time any more, I am at a point of dann near giving up cause I try to negotiate with them but all they do is lie and never keep there word.Would love to talk with someone who had experienced this and hopefully get some help with how to handle them better without having to go to a mental health hospital and having to be put on a bunch of meds and possible ECT treatments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inter Vivos

Inter Vivos

...1 older gentalman lived where I was hearing the voices coming from...
To be able, by hearing, to locate the source of a 'voice' seems to me unusual; in the context we are discussing.

...I try to negotiate with them but all they do is lie and never keep there word...
Be careful in what you believe and write. It is possible to tell an untruth without lying. Consider if your 'voice' meant: not 'lie' but 'lay'; as in 'lay down'.

...Would love to talk with someone who had experienced this and hopefully get some help with how to handle them better without having to go to a mental health hospital and having to be put on a bunch of meds and possible ECT treatments.
You may need a doctor's advice. They are best placed to be able judge in matters of psychiatric or neurological health.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

If you get to the point that you cant function in life or can't live with the voices anymore, then I think your best choice is to see a doctor for them. I believe ECT is usually given for depression, not hearing voices. The first line of defense to help quiet down voices would probably be an antipsychotic medication. Some people have a hard time tolerating them due to side effects, but many, like myself, have either no or negligible side effects and the medication helps them tremendously. To help cope with the voices, I recommend you try to ignore them the best you can, and when you are hearing them, try to distract yourself by doing something else that keeps you physically and mentally busy so that you might not pay attention to them as much. Sometimes the cause of hearing voices is a physical reason that can be addressed by a doctor. If no other cause for it is found then the cause is then attributed to a mental illness.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I believe we all share our bodies with another consciousness, a second or passenger mind that we carry with us.

I've been trying to negotiate with mine for nearly 3 years now but he's having none of it, he won't stop messing around with our body (he has the ability to cause me pain) and won't stop talking or singing all the time.
I've offered to talk to him again as I've ignored him as part of my strategy, offered to let him control the body as I can let him take control whenever I wish and offered to pay him so he has money to decide what to spend it on, he could then buy computer games and the like to play on when I give him control of the body as he seems to enjoy that sort of thing.

Getting anti-psychotics can be a powerful negotiating tool for you as they take away many of the passengers abilities and are well worth some of the side effects, personally my passenger is insane, a psychopath and a sociopath so I won't be coming off medication myself possibly for life but you could offer yours his abilities back in exchange for good behaviour.

Don't worry about side effects too much or ECT, as Boudreauj4 says you may not get many and they may be negligible and ECT has never been offered to me in over 3 years so I doubt that's for hearing voices.

E

ernesto3

I would have preferred not gone to the doctor either but trust me man, it’s the most efficient way to get rid of them. Besides, the medicine is usually just one, for example I take a daily dose of 1mg Risperdal & I don’t suffer from any negative side effects besides some drowsiness every now & then. I suffered from the voices for about 5 months and still do, but the medicine quieted them down and even shuts them up from time to time within 2-3 weeks.

Your experience is similar to my own and others I’ve met. They won’t really go away & you can only change their relationship but with years of experience. The medicine makes it a lot easier to manage & to ignore.