• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Have taken early retirement

S

singsongfun

I have schizophrenia and I work...☺
Best wishes with your work. Do you find it difficult having schizophrenia and working?
I went back to work for 5 years after I first had psychosis, but really regret doing so. So I worked 12 years in total.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Best wishes with your work. Do you find it difficult having schizophrenia and working?
I went back to work for 5 years after I first had psychosis, but really regret doing so. So I worked 12 years in total.
Don't get me wrong, it's a bit challenging when I hear voices whilst working, but I cope alright and still love my job.

S

singsongfun

Why did I ever bother with going to work, getting married, having a child etc? It was a lot of stress for no good reason. I just need coffee, and swimming.
Benefits is the future.

L

llittlelostlady

I'm classically autistic but with speech delay

I like working though in some ways

my vouches say they like too mess up gifted dirt monies (humans)

I was backwards and forwards at the same time

xxx

L

llittlelostlady

Don't get me wrong, it's a bit challenging when I hear voices whilst working, but I cope alright and still love my job.
they talk to you too much too then

feck me they natter a lot

mine touch me up too

S

singsongfun

I have always sort of disliked people who are too "lazy" to work. But now I find myself in that position. Very sad.

S

singsongfun

I am doing some voluntary work and it is reminding me of happier days when in work, married, with a family. Things psychosis lost me.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I am doing some voluntary work and it is reminding me of happier days when in work, married, with a family. Things psychosis lost me.
That's brilliant. I really miss work too.

Do you not see your family anymore?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have always sort of disliked people who are too "lazy" to work. But now I find myself in that position. Very sad.
We cannot judge others unless we have walked in their shoes, is the saying? Walked a mile in their shoes?

I wonder sometimes if i am lazy, but actually it is anxiety over returning to work, in addition to the illness/side effects. I wish i could have more support to figure this out, it is sad isn't it.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Why did I ever bother with going to work, getting married, having a child etc? It was a lot of stress for no good reason. I just need coffee, and swimming.
Benefits is the future.
Do you not think it was good that you did those things? Can you imagine never having had it?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I am 38 years old. Schizophrenia means I have retired 30 years early. I can't work and am on benefits. Benefits is the future of human kind. I refuse to go back to work ever. I would rather starve to death than work another day in my life. Work is very difficult for me, due to my autism and schizophrenia, and work gives me really bad psychosis. I hate the NHS. They are useless and I would not want to have to depend on them any more than I do (for instance, working then getting psychosis). End.
I can understand why you feel that way. Work is stressful and when you have a mental illness, well, for me i was often unwell. Since not working, i am more well as my illness is not being constantly hit with stress.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
In my earlier years, i fouind it extrmeley difficult to accept the fac,t I couldn't work right from the word go. In fact, benefits offices advised me, that I couldn't do part time paid, or full time paid work of any kind, so instead, right from the word go, I took to the idea, of volunteering back then, 2004.
That is so sad Natalie, you would have been able to make a big difference to the world, although you and i just have to now do our thing through voluntary work. I have helped family and friends a lot and also neighbours, and that makes me feel i have some small purpose.

S

singsongfun

Thanks for your posts @Tawny
Yes, I still see my family sometimes.
I think I am similar to you in that I can't handle the stress of paid work, and it makes me unwell. I am so much more stable mentally out of work, but still struggle some days. I miss work, and the energy of the purpose of having something to do and having to do it well.
Yes, I don't have any regrets, other maybe taking Quetiapine, which was not effective and let me have a second psychosis. Aripiprazole is much better.