• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Have stopped taking my Anti-Psychotics, any advice ?

S

skyblue

The Pharmacy have been out of stock for me to collect my Quetiapine Prescription.

It's now been 2 days that I haven't taken them, 400mg at night. They said they will have them in tomorrow.

I have been feeling very spaced out, but then again i've been feeling this way for sometime now anyway. Have been getting headaches, feeling very tired and forgetful (withdrawal symptoms I guess), but other than that I actually feel no different.

I'm now thinking of just leaving them and going without them entirely and forever.

Has anybody here come off Anti-psychotics successfully ?

Could this be dangerous as in harming my brain by stopping them so rapidly ?

L

LionAngel29

I have been on anti-psychotics for about a year and a half now on / off. I took myself off Stelazine (and Procyclodine I took with it because of the side effects), I took myself off Olanzapine because I put on weight from 9st 7ibs to 12 7ibs in 2-3 months. I had to come off Apiprizole because it had bad side effects (was on anti-depressants at same time) and now I'm on Seroquel which has everything in it for my condition: An anti-psychotic with ingredients in it for bipolar mania or depression, because I have Schizoaffective disorder. I'd say try it, if it has bad effects tell your doctor or if you really don't like them, stop taking them but go to a doctor and hope they find something more suitable. This is all I've done.

S

skyblue

I have been on anti-psychotics for about a year and a half now on / off. I took myself off Stelazine (and Procyclodine I took with it because of the side effects), I took myself off Olanzapine because I put on weight from 9st 7ibs to 12 7ibs in 2-3 months. I had to come off Apiprizole because it had bad side effects (was on anti-depressants at same time) and now I'm on Seroquel which has everything in it for my condition: An anti-psychotic with ingredients in it for bipolar mania or depression, because I have Schizoaffective disorder. I'd say try it, if it has bad effects tell your doctor or if you really don't like them, stop taking them but go to a doctor and hope they find something more suitable. This is all I've done.
Thanks for your message. I've been taking Seroquel/Quetiapine for 8 months now. I ran out of these med's 2 days ago.

I'm sorry i'm not making much sense am I ? I don't think my messages are very clear, I'm feeling a bit spaced out.

A

Apotheosis

It's so individual - the best advice is to stop psychiatric meds very slowly & gradually, with a lot of support. But there are no hard & fast rules, people are so individual.

I know someone that had severe addiction issues that was taking 540mg of Valium a day; & they virtually stopped it dead. It could have killed them; but they made a swift recovery.

I stopped all psychiatric meds twice - & went for 4 years each time coping without them. Then 12 years ago I got stuck on this present med. I've stopped it 3 times; & have had 3 of the worst psychotic episodes that I've ever had - that have only eased when I went back on the tablets. I think that a lot of these last 3 psychotic episodes had a lot to do with withdrawal effects. But however they were caused, makes no difference to having had them.

People are so individual - outcomes depend on so many variables & factors. We all differ in factors like - how long we have been taking meds, what type of meds they were & at what doses. There are factors of individual psychological & physiological make up; coping strategies, support network, stressors, responsibilities, environment, socio-economic factors - all sorts that can effect prognosis & outcomes.

There is simply no way of telling how an individual will react in withdrawal, or whether that is the best thing to do. With some people, I think that it is incredibly difficult, if not impossible to successfully come off meds. I do think that is a minority; but a significant one - these are very powerful & highly dependency forming drugs.

I'd highly recommend the Guide -

The Harm Reduction Guide to coming off Psychiatric Medication

http://theicarusproject.net/downloads/ComingOffPsychDrugsHarmReductGuide1Edonline.pdf

MIND has some good information on coming off psychiatric drugs -

http://www.mind.org.uk/search?q=coming+off+psychiatric+drugs&x=0&y=0

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical...f_coming_off_psychiatric_drugs#antipsychotics

There are also some supportive & helpful web sites on this subject (check out my Links in the signature) & also try -

http://www.comingoff.com/

I'd also recommend a book on the subject; this is apparently a good one -

Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs
by Peter Lehmann

This helpful book is all about successfully quitting psychiatric drugs. It is mainly for people on psychiatric drugs but also addresses their relatives. Learn what works from 28 people who have direct experience with the challenge of "coming off" psychiatric drugs. Additionally, eight professionals, working in psychotherapy, medicine, psychiatry, social work, natural healing and even in a Runaway House, report on how they have helped in the withdrawal process.
& also the book - Your Drug May Be Your Problem:
How and Why to Stop Taking Psychiatric Medications
by Peter Breggin M.D. and David Cohen Ph.D.

I'd personally advise - from my own experience, being very careful. I'd personally think that coming off psychiatric meds needs careful consideration, planning, support, & a lot of care. I learnt from bitter experiences, that if things get too out of control, then it's far better to try to be aware enough to start increasing the dose again, rather than to become incredibly unwell.

I know it stinks being on these drugs. But what real choice was there in being stuck on them? & what in the way of any real support is offered to most of us if we want to stop taking them?

For me, I have had to accept taking a low dose. That appears to take the edge off things & gives me a degree of a quality of life - given circumstances & my history.

After you have been going through such a rough time skyblue; then maybe it would be more opportune to wait until things are more stable in your life before attempting a withdrawal? It can be very difficult to have the awareness & insight into just exactly how we are feeling; you need good & supportive people around you who will be honest. There is a also the flip side that in stopping & starting psychiatric meds - on the whole they become less & less effective; I can testify to that too.

But I do appreciate why you would want to stop taking them. & people can successfully do so.

Just my thoughts. I wish you well.

S

skyblue

Thanks Apo.

I've just been having second thoughts, thinking that if I haven't been taking them for 2 days now I may as well try and give them up entirely. I don't know what's wrong with me, I've recently tried afew months back and then became terribly unwell again (triggered by stress), but I thought as I haven't been taking them for a couple of days, I may as well just stop them completely as I feel okish right now, but realistically I'm only talking about this evening.
It seems insane, I think i'm actually going insane and senile (contradicting my thoughts and opinions on my own health).
My mind swings in roundabouts and at this moment I just want to run away from it all, away from all the medication, away from all Pdoc's, away from MH issues because I'm just so, so sick of it all.

I suppose the sensible thing to do is to start taking them again tomorrow and then have a talk to PDoc about all this, usually though, whenever I do, they say,.. 'you must stay on all these medications for longer,.. then longer,.. then longer'.

I don't know why I can't deal with stress, the slightest amount sends me into an episode. Could this illness or whatever it is just be in my mind ? (If that makes sense). Doc's are adamant I have Bipolar and have done for years, but I STILL cannot accept it, I thought I did at one point, afew weeks back infact, my heads swinging in roundabouts again.

Will I ever be able to control my emotions, thoughts and actions ? Will I always be off the rails without medication ?

Thanks for your links, I shall read into those.

S

skyblue

I think there must be something wrong with me. I've had the Crisis Team around everyday this week. I have been fighting to stay out of hospital. I've had 4 hospital admissions and I don't ever want to go back there again.

At this very moment though, I'm feeling SO much better, so much better :)

S

suzy

er yes a sudden stop is going to affect your brain chemistry

A

Apotheosis

Things fluctute so much, & often moment by moment. At times, especially during early psychotic episodes - I could go from suicidal thoughts, to extreme panic, to euphoria, in the space of smoking a cigarette. These days; sometimes I can feel very pissed off & depressed in a morning or an afternoon - or feeling like I'm going mad, to feeling calm, as sane as it's possible to feel, & feeling good a moment later. I think that this is the nature of some of our conditions.

My mind swings in roundabouts and at this moment I just want to run away from it all, away from all the medication, away from all Pdoc's, away from MH issues because I'm just so, so sick of it all.
I think that people are really insane if they aren't sick of it all. I was sick of it all from day One!

I suppose the sensible thing to do is to start taking them again tomorrow and then have a talk to PDoc about all this, usually though, whenever I do, they say,.. 'you must stay on all these medications for longer,.. then longer,.. then longer'.
You have to do what you feel is right to do; & find a balance.

I don't know why I can't deal with stress, the slightest amount sends me into an episode. Could this illness or whatever it is just be in my mind ? (If that makes sense). Doc's are adamant I have Bipolar and have done for years, but I STILL cannot accept it, I thought I did at one point, afew weeks back infact, my heads swinging in roundabouts again.
Lets look at the facts - Consciousness & the way the brain operates is still largely a mystery - the way that meds operate on the mind is also still largely a mystery. What is Bipolar? What is Schizophrenia? I have yet to get a definitive answer from a psychiatrist, that explains anything.

Is it all in the mind? The truth is that no one knows. The actual science & the evidence points to the incredible complexity of the brain; & it's symbiosis with environment & the rest of the body, & the influences on the brains function from just about everything.

Whatever people say - there is NO evidence whatsoever to prove any biological/genetic/brain chemical or any other biological basis to mental health difficulties (non-organic).

Will I ever be able to control my emotions, thoughts and actions ? Will I always be off the rails without medication ?
Maybe those are the wrong questions? It may be more constructive to ask - can I learn to cope, function & deal with these experiences in healthy ways.
What really do we have control over? Not much! - I've found acceptance, detachment, observation, mindfulness, awareness, relaxation & other approaches to be more effective than vain attempts to try & control how I think & feel.

S

skyblue

I feel better than ever today, I can't believe it. Maybe, I'm slightly high, who knows.

I suppose I should still continue with the med's though until I see my PDoc again, which is very soon. I have still been taking the mood stabilisers, it's just the quetiapine I need to pick up.

I'm also determined to sort my entire life out. I was rapid cycling about a two months ago, then crashed into deep depression and have been in it since. My dad has helped me by taking my daughter off my hands for afew days this week, and it's done me the world of good, some peace and time to concentrate on myself has really helped me.

I don't want to ever become ill again, I want to get back on the road, doing the things I was doing previous to all this.
I don't need the crisis team anymore, will be seeing them today.
I can't wait to start again.

Thanks Apo for those links, I'll talk to my PDoc about it all. I'm sure I know what the answer will be though, we'll see.

Take it easy and have a good day x:flowers: