• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Have pass, will travel? (Free travel pass question).

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on ESA (Employment Support Allowance) and have my free travel pass, now at the top it says South Yorkshire but I was wondering if it was valid outside of my home county.

With my mental health team one Christmas we used it to travel to Leeds on the train which is in West Yorkshire and the train conductor didn't bat an eyelid when I presented this pass in either direction.

I was at a friends today in the East Midlands and she asked me if I could use my pass in her county and I didn't know.

So how far have you been outside your county of issue and still been able to get free travel?

Google says yes it can be used in any county but I don't entirely trust everything I read on Google so I was hoping for some first hand experiences.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I can use my bus pass in the neighbouring two counties (bordering) but haven't gone further.

N

natalie

I thought for the minute it was regarding after the pandemic, I actually don't know the answer to the question for that one.

Maybe if you could try ringing, your Local Coucil Assisted Travel service, and they are the ones who assist to help with freedom pass asssitance, they might be able to advise you.

Best regards both.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i had a pass, the women at the disability centre phoned up they said all passes are the same she said well this is different and described it they said thats a consessionary pass for the mentally ill, if so isn't that a breech of the disability act been treated less favourably because of your disability

i had problems with the buses in brum until i got a full disability pass, most people won't leave london to notice

maybe since times have changed

on e seperate issue a taxi card i phoned the discrimination people they said consessionary cards are different they're not discriminating against you they're refusing to discriminate for you

B

Bunny7

I haven’t been outside my county with my bus pass but my parents have the OAP version and they’re not allowed to use theirs on holiday in Wales (they live in England) 🤷🏻‍♀️