• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have money to spend and too scared to spend it.

Gajolene

Gajolene

My sister sent me a walmart card pre chistmas for a present and I've yet to go spend it. If you are used to poverty life and bare necessities and had a gift like this how would you spend it. Keep in mind it's a christmas gift not a food card or a necessity card. Something keeps me from going and cashing it in, let alone being the first family gift in 15 years. :confused:

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I sometimes find that when you wait - something comes along which makes it an easy decision.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I would look online and buy yourself something for you, a top or TV or summat depending on the amount. I think that's the idea of gifts.

It would be easy to spend it on something for the kids and that, but if it was addressed to you, and they got something too, that's what you should do.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Or buy a sexy leather jacket. ;)

Mayfair

Mayfair

I've thought of a story about this too, which relates to this, sorry (don't fall asleep G, or anyone else! :LOL:).

I always hear people say 'don't get someone vouchers, it's thoughtless' (or lacking of thought)

Well, I think this is incorrect thinking. Sometimes they are fitting, money or vouchers.

This year I struggled (as usual) to get Christmas presents for my best friend's kids, 8 and 11, (I mean what do you buy kids that have tablets and things?!, it was much easier when they where younger!). I've known them both since birth and consider them as important as anyone or anything in my life. I thought vouchers was a bit restrictive, and I wanted let them have autonomy in their growing lives.

I couldn't just give them £30 each in an envelope, and as I know they both like lego, I found my old lego and built 2 small houses (well more like sheds :LOL:) and put the money inside and wrapped them up... when they opened the wrapping paper and saw a little lego house looked a bit bemused, so I said take the roof off. They were 'like WOW'.

I told them, your Mum and Dad can't tell you what to do with this, you can buy whatever you want with it. It's your choice.

He 11 put the money towards a game for his xbox thing (towards? games were 6.99 when I was a kid!)
She 8 bought some red shoes -her Mum later told me that she said to her, they were ridiculous, and she [8] told her, 'Mayfair says I can buy what I want and I want these shoes', and later she wore them at a do and they matched the outfit that Mum had made/bought for her to wear :LOL: Kids aint thick!

nonotme

nonotme

underwear its essential.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i would buy some nice food. like not what you would normal buy. but then i love food. :D that is what i did with my m and s gift card i got for xmas. and you need to eat.

Kerome

Kerome

With gifts I generally hold it could be a luxury, something that you would rarely buy for yourself but would have a lot of joy out of for some time to come.

I once bought my mother a reproduction Vermeer at the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, it's small but made with replica paint so you can see the brushstrokes in the paint and so on. This has been hanging on her wall at home for many years now, but I still enjoy it when I go visit her. The original would have cost 50 million or more, and this is almost as good.

But clothes can be good, or a cashmere pashmina or shawl, which you might not otherwise be able to afford. I bought a pink cashmere pashmina for my stepsister many years ago, and that was so successful that my mother asked for an identical one for Christmas several years later.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I got a voucher to for h&m from my mum for xmas. I dont do Trendy clothes and I like mine. Will prob spend it on my son

nonotme

nonotme

I got a voucher to for h&m from my mum for xmas. I dont do Trendy clothes and I like mine. Will prob spend it on my son
there was a report on the radio before Christmas about gift cards, 3 billion $ a year go unspent on them before they go out of date. Use them up girls.......

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Nonotme has a good point.
If I were you, i'd check and see if there is a time limit for redeeming the gift card.
You might not think there would be a time limit, but sometimes in the small print you find it says you have to use the card within two years for example.

I understand your reluctance to spend it. When you struggle to make ends meet and find you have the means to buy yourself something nice, it's actually really difficult to decide what to do.
I think there are some good suggestions here, like buying clothes or some household item that can be enjoyed by all.

I hope you get something nice anyway. :)

Gajolene

Gajolene

I've decided to spend it. Taking a taxi tommorrow by myself without the boys along, when my money's in and buying a new roasting pan, a new kettle and hopefully enough for curtains left over for my front room window. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Mental Health Experiences 4
A Mental Health Experiences 15