• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have I got an eating disorder?

Z

zx123

Hi,
Please could somebody advise me about the issue of eating disorders? I have a problem where I am underweight and I want to gain weight, but I am afraid of eating too much food.

Over the last year I have lost quite a lot of weight due to some big changes in that have occurred in my life. My weight has gone down.

My eating habits have changed quite a lot in this time and I am now more conscious of the foods that I eat. I also think I might have developed some distorted ideas about food and this causes me to worry about eating too much.

I have been to the doctors but they told me that nothing is wrong but I am still losing weight and this is causing me to be worried.

Last edited:
H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
If you think you have an eating disorder see your GP and they can help you either by referring you on to specialized services or advising on self help material depending on your circumstances.

you don't necessary need to eat more food to gain weight, you can eat higher calorie foods. eg for a snack instead of a yogurt have a chocolate bar or use more oil in your cooking.

I have removed the weights you mentioned in your post btw.

Last edited:
Z

zx123

Hi,
I went to my gp and they said there was nothing wrong but I am still losing weight. I have distorted thinking about food and I obsess about being healthy so I can't eat chocolate. I have seen two different gps and I am still losing weight. I am now worried for my health.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i would look for some self help material off the internet or private therapy if you can afford it.
what do you think is healthy? can you eat nuts? what are some things you find healthy that are high in calories, i am thinking if you can find some then you can stop the weight loss whilst you tackle the distorted thinking.

Z

zx123

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I am eating food everyday but I am still losing weight. I cant eat nuts because they are hard and I worry about my teeth. I try to eat at least one cooked meal a day and also healthy food such as rice and fish, cheese sandwiches, bread rolls, quiche, .I try to avoid sugar and I try to eat healthily so I have stopped eating meat. I can eat mostly anything vegetarian. I have a problem where I worry about eating too much.