• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Have been asked to attend a maintaining adherence programme(MAP)

F

firemonkee57

I think it's something they ask most people at the depot clinic as the assumption is on depot= bipolar/schizoaffective/schizophrenia diagnosis and the programme is aimed at those groups of patients.
There will be an initial assessment but judging from what I read I don't think I'll qualify.

Patients with ‘qualifying’ diagnoses are automatically streamed into MAP and assessed to screen out patients with primary diagnoses of Substance Misuse, Personality Disorder or Learning Disability.
http://southendccg.nhs.uk/news-events/ccg-news/298-maintaining-adherence-programme

V

vimes

When you say "asked to" do you have options not to do it?
So you want to participate?
Do you feel it is something that will aid you or is it inappropriate?

F

firemonkee57

It is voluntary. I am not champing at the bit to do it but also can think of no great reasons not to do it. As for it aiding I don't know. I wonder whether one of the aims is to get patients off depot and taking oral meds regularly(ie there's a cost saving element to it).
As it is I have only missed 2-3 depot in 6 years compared to a 40-50% record previously on oral. My major problem was not not taking due to denial of illness but more cognitively based ie having days when I would just forget to take.
I am a bit puzzled why they keep asking me to do it as a check of my diagnosis would show I don't fit the diagnosis criteria as stated on various sources of information about the programme. Then again the response from the people at the depot clinic is to periodically ask questions that assumes a schizophrenia/schizophrenia dx because I am on the depot. I am not sure they actually check to see if you have a schizophrenia/schizoaffective dx,just presume you do.

V

vimes

Have you asked them why they recommend it?
How they think it would benefit you specifically?
You could be right, they may just be ticking a box "we offered MAP, check".

F

firemonkee57

Emailed the project manager and got the following replies:

> Hi Tim,

> Thanks for your message.

> Selection criteria for the MAP proof of concept study were just as you outline, so I'm not sure why any patients with different dx have been approached.

> Because of the successful results of the MAP pilot there has been some interest in a similar project for people with dx of disordered personality - but I'm not aware of any work being underway.

> I'll follow up with Adam and Mark at the Recovery Lounge and let you know if they are able to shed any further information on this.

That was then followed by:

Hi again Tim (Adam - FYI).

I've spoken with Adam who has confirmed that there is no MAP group for PD currently running. Apologies that staff have been asking for you to participate when the service is for a different dx.