• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Have anyone tried the Decider Skills for self-help?

• Thread starter lookingforsomeanswers
  • Start date
L

lookingforsomeanswers

Hello! My GP sent a link for this Decider course while I can't get any appointment (apparently just next month).

I also download a sample of some CBT books, but I can't find anything practical on them. Any suggestions?

I haven't had any consultation or haven't even talk with my GP, but they sent those links and said that I might have GAD and depression for what I put in the appointment request. I'm concerned about a starting some self-help methods without knowing what I'm dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a short-term, goal-oriented psychotherapy treatment that takes a hands-on, practical approach to problem-solving. Its goal is to change patterns of thinking or behavior that are behind people's difficulties, and so change the way they feel.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psycho-social intervention that aims to improve mental health. CBT focuses on challenging and changing unhelpful cognitive distortions (e.g. thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes) and behaviors, improving emotional regulation, and the development of personal coping strategies that target solving current problems.

L

lookingforsomeanswers

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a short-term, goal-oriented psychotherapy treatment that takes a hands-on, practical approach to problem-solving. Its goal is to change patterns of thinking or behavior that are behind people's difficulties, and so change the way they feel.

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psycho-social intervention that aims to improve mental health. CBT focuses on challenging and changing unhelpful cognitive distortions (e.g. thoughts, beliefs, and attitudes) and behaviors, improving emotional regulation, and the development of personal coping strategies that target solving current problems.
Thank you =)

Is there any recommendations for courses? I had a look on those the GP sent me, but I'm not sure about it to be fair.

D

Deleted member 96847

I did the decider skills course recently. I found some of it useful. I had some contact with my cpn nurse during this time also which I found more beneficial than the course itself. I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own without her input as it brought up a lot of negative thoughts and emotions about the past that I struggle to deal with.
I've found with most CBT courses that they can be of help at the time but when I'm left on my own I seem to sink back into my old habits very quickly.
For me personally doing an 8 week mindfulness course was much more effective in helping me to cope with life and I was able to make mindfulness and meditation an integral part of my life.
I guess in the end what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others. We all have different needs and requirements.
I wish you luck in finding what is right for you to help you move forward in life 🙂

L

lookingforsomeanswers

I did the decider skills course recently. I found some of it useful. I had some contact with my cpn nurse during this time also which I found more beneficial than the course itself. I wouldn't have been able to do it on my own without her input as it brought up a lot of negative thoughts and emotions about the past that I struggle to deal with.
I've found with most CBT courses that they can be of help at the time but when I'm left on my own I seem to sink back into my old habits very quickly.
For me personally doing an 8 week mindfulness course was much more effective in helping me to cope with life and I was able to make mindfulness and meditation an integral part of my life.
I guess in the end what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for others. We all have different needs and requirements.
I wish you luck in finding what is right for you to help you move forward in life 🙂
Thank you, this is helpful. I think I'm kind of scared of doing some of those courses and open some boxes that maybe I'm not ready yet to open without support. =) I will do some more research until my GP book an appointment.

Blooming

Blooming

I bought "The Decider Skills for Self Help: CBT and DBT skills to increase resilience, coping and confidence" from Amazon yesterday. It hasn't arrived yet.

I have been interested in CBT for a long time and think that most of what the book offers can be found, more or less, here: Getselfhelp.co.uk CBT self help and therapy resources

Practice, practice, practice ... There is no "quick solution" to anxiety disorders.

The main issue when one has anxiety is always to practice some form of Relaxation Exercises.