Have any serious anxiety sufferers attempted suicide because of it?

S

SundayMorningComingDown

I've suffered from ludicrous anxiety since I was old enough to crawl, and because of this look forward to death like normal people look forward to a Caribbean cruise. However, I am too scared to make attempts myself to die because if they fail you will wake up in an emergency room where hospital staff loathe suicide attempters, and you will live on with the same problems as before and new ones in the form of internal organ or brain damage. I really believe assisted suicide should be available to everyone and anyone over the age of 18 who wants it, and in my option anyone who opposes is an irritating 'do-gooder' Christian who wants to impose their will on others, and who are so astounded by and afraid of the idea of death, they cannot grasp why others who are more intelligent than, and have been through more than them, do not share their horror of death and even embrace it.

Any mention of desire to do suicide and out come the dramatic Tony Robbins-like meaningless motivational speeches with no substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Ainsworth

I really believe assisted suicide should be available to everyone and anyone over the age of 18 who wants it, and in my option anyone who opposes is an irritating 'do-gooder' Christian who wants to impose their will on others, and who are so astounded by and afraid of the idea of death, they cannot grasp why others who are more intelligent than, and have been through more than them, do not share their horror of death and even embrace it.
well i must be one of these 'irritating do-gooders' then as i dont agree with giving everyone that option, people change their mind about suicide everyday and go on and not only over come their problems but also make a success of their lives.

their MH problems may still be there but they are survivers.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi SundayMorningComingDown

And :welcome: to the forum.

Have you ever received any treatment for your anxiety?
Are you doing anything that may increase your anxiety?

Anxiety does not have to be a terminal illness.

I myself with the right combination of different forms of treatment (a change of lifestyle, medication, learning a skill called mindfulness and therapy), have managed to overcome it. And it was most extreme. And I know of many others who have managed to beat it. It does not have to be forever.

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

i have very bad anxiety & would not care if i did not wake up in the morning,i got anxiety right now for no reson at all,it feels like my gut is on fire,this shit sucks

if i was you SundayMorningComingDown i would stop taking drugs if you are

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive suffered with extreme anxiety and other problems all my life (now mid 50s ) and for the last 40 years everyday has been a struggle. Ive been taken to hospital four times from collapsing and can barely venture outside for fear of an attack. I take inderol twice a day plus ADs but nothing seems to work. Ive even been for hypnosis.

I dont know if your seeing a psych but ask to be referred for therapy it did help me a bit . I found guided relaxation particularly helpful. Please dont do anything to harm yourself. When you get low think how upset your family and friends would be.:hug:

J

jamesdean

Hi smcd

I have spent 40 years thinking about how to kill myself and I have had several little attempts but one massive attempt in 1990.

I have to say put my hand on my heart @ this moment in time I dont want to commit suicde but aniexty is a killer in it self its crippling because you cannot function at the normal pace of lifee has the average person n you are right that people dont understand and like you Its not going to be any fun if you fuck your body trying.

Though my health really isnt very good physically or mh I dont where I get my strengh form sometimes though things have been much better since I have let god into my life but I'm not going to preach to no one this is whot I've found n its nnot because its a sin because the greatest of people sin.

I just feel a little warmth but then the AD's help tremdously its not a cure for any of my conditions n if a miracle happens somewhere along the way then I shall report it.

Take kind regards JD

A

Ainsworth

im a surviver of attempted suicide, kept trying as well until i damaged myself

i was 15, i had no-one. im still living with that damage now after 20 years.

i still have suicidal thoughts even now. i wont act on them! im strong, it isnt going to beat me!

anyone who is thinking this way, please reach out to someone, anyone! there are people who do care, even strangers on here.

A

Ainsworth

thankyou JD

i just wish a place like this had existed when i was younger, as it helps

have a lovely day :)

D

dlzoidberg

I have attempted suicide more than 30 times. Most of these have been pretty half-hearted attempts (or, as one guy pointed out on another forum, I really suck at killing myself).

Several of these attempts have however, been serious. This includes 4 times in 5 days, 3 months ago. My cpn has since told me that I nearly got sectioned.

I don't know that I can be of any help to anyone, as I can only see my life ending in suicide.

S

SundayMorningComingDown

Hi dlzoidberg

I wasn't going to use this forum any more as I received a message saying my original post had been heavily edited, as talk of suicide isn't tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jamesdean

Iunderstand its the graphic details cannot be discussed though I understand you can say that you feel suicidal has people do,its very interseting I have to say that I dont feel suicidal though nothing about my mh condition had changed I just find that I'm figting it more has a response now a days I guess its quite nice being called a suvivor I've only heard that word used once before but its quite a good way of explaining things.If you feel thatyou want to express that thats how you are feeling and hopefully be supported then my understanding is that is fine,we do have to be careful about any personal details I kinda made that mistake when I first joined I hope that you can get support here smcd. wejust have to be a little careful take care JD

I just remebered that I used to take two 80mg half inderal everyday n I tried to explain to the psych today that whilst I have come off them after 17 years all this coping comes outof my reserve energy dealing with all the anxiety day in day out. Though thatkinda fell on death ears its true I do feelmore knocks nowif thats alittle bit like being normal I dont mind though it has to be accounted for and praised that I'mdoing it by myself I also notice that thats also around the period that I dont feel suicidal so they might of being causing someof that feeling who know?

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

SundayMorningComingDown pm me

F

FuzzyLogic

I have had suicidal thoughts but I know I could never go through with it, or at least not quite yet. Sometimes I find myself torn between my desire to die and the contemplation of the effect my suicide would have on my mother.

If when I get older she eventually dies there wouldn't be much holding me back, I suppose.

Oh, maybe I should be more specific. I don't really "want to die", it's just that I don't really feel like living any more, if that makes any sense at all. Death scares the hell out of me. I am not naive enough to believe in any kind of after life and know death will only bring oblivion, so I really don't want that, but at the same time I dread living on.

J

jamesdean

I think that how a lot of people would explain it fuzzylogic, you are reasoning with yourself I did this for about forty years mostly everyday, thank god I dont have to go through that little resegme any more thoughits equally hardfighting low moods anxiety and paranoia which I had all three yesterday morning. take care regards JD

S

Soren

hi sundaymorning, i understand your words so well. i really do. for what its worth, i can only wish you peace. you're not on your own friend. i just wish i could do something to help.

D

dlzoidberg

A very good post fuzzylogic. Worries about my mum held me back from even more suicide attempts. She died in March, and now I live in supported housing. There is little holding me back now, just clinging to a few last rays of hope.

T

thefool

I couldn't bear the thought of the few people i care about blaming themselves in any way, if i finally ended it.
best thing to do is things that might result in death. smoking and motorcycling being my faves, along with risky sex with strangers. that way people with think you only have yourself to blame.
drink takes too long and looks like a sympathy/attention thing once your upto a litre of spirits a day. keep it deadly and keep it dark. :mad:

S

shywolf

when i was 25 and 28 i stood on top of a bridge thinking about jumping but just thinking of my parents and brother granny getting the news stopped me no matter how low you are feeling its not worth the pain it would cuase your family even if you think they hate you they brought you into the world and dont deserve that unnesesery grief taking your own life is a selfish thing no matter how tough your life appears to be with life there is hope now we have a voice on the internet that wasnt there for me years ago and if im down there are agood few sites like this out there to let us air our thoughts thgere is always someone listening all over the world scotland usa australia canada france wherever you may be think choose life:tea:

P

pixies

I've been suicidal and depressed for a long time. With me though, it has been so long now and it's been a major part of my life, that I've become so tired of it that I have somehow managed to just completely reject the idea of it.

When I was 19 I was really depressed and thought about killing myself and back then, I didn't have the clear thought that, "This is just my mind malfunctioning". I then took anti depressants for many years and feeling so much better while on them put it all in to perspective for me and made me realise that I should never kill myself because one day I'm happy and I look back on my depressed days and think to myself, "My god what was I thinking?!"

It since all went a bit haywire for me because the anti depressants stopped working for me so I've struggled for the past several years, constantly fighting with depression, but also struggling really badly with social phobia. It's been terrible for me and completely destroyed my life.

However, I still get very depressed and have suicidal thoughts sometimes, but like I said, it's been such a long ongoing thing now, I've learned to just immediately reject the idea of it. I feel really bad but I just carry on doing whatever and try my best to get through it. Usually once I've had a good night's sleep I feel better the next day anyway. But the moral of the story.. :p for me at least, is that this stupid depression has hung over me so long now, I've got the measure of it. It's not fooling me anymore. It's like some kind of con man that tried to destroy me years ago but now I know it's little game... It fooled me once, shame on depression, but it fooled me twice and I realised. Now after it constantly trying to fool me a thousand times, it's just like a pathetic annoyance and I shrug it off and reject it. Don't get me wrong, it makes me feel completely terrible and worn out, but the whole time I am just easily rejecting it all and I even end up watching TV and chuckling to myself. I feel like I'm just standing up to it like a bully, and then it backs down because it's a chicken... So like this I have beaten it for years.

I wonder if maybe other people could get like that after a while. It's getting easier for me now because I'm in my 30's now so I've been doing it for so long. I feel like I can deal with my depression now and I haven't even been taking any medication for the last 3 years. I bought a book recently too, CBT, which I think I can now use to help me combat the depression even better.

Although... besides all this which I consider very positive for me... I have an additional problem of this social phobia which I am having an extremely hard time with.

Last edited: