• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

have any of you experienced spacing out (depersonalisation) and how did you overcpme it

GreenEmerald

GreenEmerald

have any of you experienced spacing out (depersonalisation) and how did you overcpme it

I keep having recurring experiences of spacing out (depersonalisation).
Defintion: Depersonalisation is sometimes described as feeling like youre observing yourself from outside your body (spacing out). Its a horrible experience, especially when coupled with paranoia.

How do I stop this experience? Its headwrecking me and is preventing me from living a life. How can I stop it. And also what causes it?

R

Rose19602

Hmm....I had it a couple of years ago.
I was very depressed and had so many problems I could do nothing about and something just snapped and I couldn't cope.
I just sat in a chair and almost felt like I was outside my body. I hardly moved.

I don't know what happened tbh and I can't explain, but if I was to hazard a guess I'd say it was caused by extreme stress and being unable to cope with it all anymore.

I didn't have paranoia at the same time...but had experienced some a few months before. I don't think I could have felt the two things at the same time, because the experience was so immobilizing and I felt so numb that I couldn't feel anything else at all at the time.

Does that sound anything like what is happening to you?

BillFish

BillFish

I keep having recurring experiences of spacing out (depersonalisation).
Defintion: Depersonalisation is sometimes described as feeling like youre observing yourself from outside your body (spacing out). Its a horrible experience, especially when coupled with paranoia.

How do I stop this experience? Its headwrecking me and is preventing me from living a life. How can I stop it. And also what causes it?
Yes experience it regularly, It brings on a sense of absolute insanity doesn't it?:meanie: I literally sit it out and wait until I get that warmth of feeling human and part of wider society again. Really helps to be living with lovely people that give me a sense of humanity and emotional warmth, should imagine it would be very difficult living isolated and on your own though. Personally I imagine that it's a short insight into what real madness is, and glad it only lasts an hour or two.:peace:

Mark_01

Mark_01

I'll be standing with a group of people, and suddenly, I am outside watching myself and the group talking. It is almost as if my soul is separated from my body. Is that what you are experiencing?

GreenEmerald

GreenEmerald

@mark_01.....its as if my eyes are outside my head observing myself, as if spacing out.

D

Deliah

I haven't, but have experienced a lot of dissociation or detachment as I called it. For this I use mindfulness techniques and I gradually normalise. Feels like being detach from any life force, like I'm not even there. Like there is nothing, but nothing. Try smelling, tasting, touch, hearing nice things. Get in to you senses and out of you head, or maybe ground yourself. Focus on your feet. Feel how they feel in the ground. D x