• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Have any of you escaped a narcissist?

F

Friendly lady

When did you realize they were a narcissist? Were you isolated? How did you get your life back?

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Yeah my mother, I left home when I was 19, she died a while back, I hadn't seen her in 20 years.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Oh yeah as well. I realised a friend of mine was one this summer when my psych team realised he was spiling me with MPVD and PCP bin order to destabilise me to financially exploit me. Funny if he'd done that tp me in my twenties I would have kicked his ass no matter how tough he acts, i don't roll like that anymore.

anex

anex

Yes. I don’t know if he would be considered having NPD, but he definitely had a lot of narcissistic traits and was ab*sive. I was somewhere around 18-20 when I was with him for a year. I don’t think I was isolated, but he had no interest in knowing my family or friends. I got out because I still lived with my parents (or was it just my mom? My parents got divorced around this time). I don’t know if I remember how I finally cut him out. I think maybe I sent him a fiery message. He responded like shit. Called me conceited because I said I deserved better. Lol

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

When did you realize they were a narcissist? Were you isolated? How did you get your life back?
A childhood friend was a covert narcisist.
I only found out when the devaluation started.
At first it was very subtle, he tried to make me smoke again, he invented gossip from friends of the group, as if everyone was talking about me.
As time went by, things were escalating and luckily, I had received my diagnosis (OCPD) and was doing a lot of research on PD.
When I started to notice a pattern of him always trying to manipulate me to think that everyone was talking about me behind my back, trying to make me feel bad about my financial situation, trying to end my 10-year relationship, etc ...

I talked to the therapist about it, and followed the advice to cut ties and maintain zero contact.
At that time I saw the mask fall, that kind person became a crazy stalker, spreading rumors, sending messages at 3 am, sending subtle threats that only I would understand, and told friends that I had gone crazy and stopped talking to him without reason.
years later, from time to time I still hear rumors that he speaks ill of me.

P

Purpleplum

I can count more than one. I seemed to be attracted to them and vice versa.
I broke the pattern by studying up on the subject extensively.

F

fragrant_violet

I think you will find that men with narcissistic personality disorder often target women they see as vulnerable, usually because of the woman's mental health problems. The awful thing is that many such women are drawn to such men. Maybe be cause they mistake them as being sound and stable. I read such stories if this all the time on MH forums and sometimes in agony aunt columns.

Argon

Argon

I knew several narcs in the psych hospital. I made friends with one because I knew he was going to prison for life. I had another work for me when I ran the cafe. So annoying. But now my boss is a narc and I can't take it.

F

fragrant_violet

Yeah women can be narcissists too but I believe that the men far outnumber the women. As in autism (I believe the two conditions are related but there is a lot of disagreement).

Argon

Argon

Yeah women can be narcissists too but I believe that the men far outnumber the women. As in autism (I believe the two conditions are related but there is a lot of disagreement).
I am not sure. I think it's just under recognized in women.
According to the American Psychiatric Association (2013), males account for about 50-75% of people diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorders. The remaining 25-50% are women. Interestingly, they don’t seem to get as much attention as their male counterparts and they are also often under diagnosed as NPD.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I am certain my brother is a narcissist.

He thinks of himself all the time. After my mum passed in 2007 he swore and put me down in a phone call afterwards. He went mad.

Same thing happened after dad passed. Another phone call where he raged at me.

Strange considering I cared for them both whilst he could not face or handle it.

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

Yes, I real winner played with my emotions then dropped me like a hot potatoe. He made it very clear he didn't love me but kept in touch for years. He knew I felt love for him (sad isn't it?) but he had me on a string. Lied, mentally abusive, threatened me what a creep. Once I knew his true self I was in too deep. Anyway he used me and threw me away I should be happy but being honest, I miss him.🤦