• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

have any of you drank alcohol while on your meds?

T

typicallypop

im on quetiapine and just last night was increased from 300 mg to 450 mg. last night we were having a family celebration and I had a small glass of cava and felt good at the time but about half hour later I started getting a bit confrontational etc my husband managed to calm me down and I went to sleep. today however I've woken up today really paranoid and anxious and stressed out and feeling quite down. so isthis am effect of drinking with my meds do you think..? it does say on the patient notes to avoid alcohol but I thought a small glass would prob be ok.?. prob my own fault.
any of you had similar experiences? im fairly newly diagnosed about 5 weeks now
ghope you're managing.
luv pop

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I think everyone's different how they react. I have taken various ADs over the last 9 years, sometimes in quite high doses, eg 60mg of citalopram, and never had any problems with a couple of drinks. However a friend of mine (much smaller built than me I have to say) can't even have half a pint without feeling really quite ill on much smaller doses, say 10mg of citalopram. When I change tablets I always test it out in a safe environment (like home) before I try to drink anywhere else.

Sorry I can't help any more than that.

T

topaz865

hi i have tried drinking on my meds before and i ended up awake all night with very uncomfortable muscle spasms so now i dont drink at all better to be safe than sorry i say.
jo

thing fish

thing fish

i drink on my meds more than i should and the only effect i usually get is really sleepy

guggy

guggy

I have, though I generally don't drink much. I didn't notice much of a difference either way.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
I drank quite a lot while on Citalopram, didnt seem to make much difference.

Wendy

Wendy

Hi I drink when on my meds doesn't seem to make a lot of difference,but I think you should be careful.I had many years ago a bad reaction on Prozac after only a couple bottles of beer, I threw up for a couple of hours then went totally blind for about half hour totally scary.
Wendy x

J

jamesdean

I dont drink on taking mirtazapine, I usuallt take it after I have had a drink not that I drink much I had four pints of lager last nightn that was enough.

Jo1760

Jo1760

I rarely drink anyway but yes have drunk on odd occasions while on meds. I have had quite a variety of meds and some have been effected by drink and others nothing at all. While of mirtzpine - It made me really sleepy and feeling quite sick, citralopram was a really intense feeling of sickness and massive anxiety, sweating, paranoid feelings.

The worse was on the venlafexine. I drank wine only a couple of glasses - nothing over the top (only did that once, never drank with it again) and it made the effects of the drink worse. I felt so drunk after 2 or 3 glasses. I passed out on my bed still wearing my clothes and woke up the next morning with the hangover to top all hangovers. I felt utterly dreadful and only began to recover just after 5pm. Not a good day.

I guess each med effects each person differently.

bubbling under

bubbling under

Am putting my hand up to admit I do as well :unsure:

I'm on amitriptyline, diazapam and citralopram

If I have 'much' wine, I just get silly. Ask Jo :redface:

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

Yes I've drank alcohol whilst taking meds. The last time I drank was just after being prescribed Abilify, I was very sick. That experience has put me off drinking for a while :)

keepsafe

keepsafe

I do and it makes me ill - must stop it

J

JellyHells

Hi there.

I think drinking alcohol whilst on an antipsychotic like Quetipine is significant this is because the alcohol has the action of increasing certain effects of the antipsychotic, for example sedation.

Also remember alcohol is a depressant, which is probably why you felt terrible the following day. Drinking always lowers my mood and takes me days to recover.

Hope this helps.

F

flamehairedlunatic

I drink on my meds quite frequently and I find I just get drunk a lot faster and a lot sleepier.

S

suzy

Yeah I drink of course when I go out I like few beers but I never get very drunk if you know what I mean.

I'm on Lithium

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Bipolar Forum 1
manicmonday Bipolar Forum 1
pandr oid Bipolar Forum 10