has taking medication dulled your psychic abilities?

4sho4sho

I’ve only just been diagnosed with schizophrenia 8 months or so ago. Before I had my first manic episode I genuinely believed I was psychic. I knew where things were before looking for them, and I believed I could control the energy of people around me. I started reading up about it and read somewhere that I should visualize my aura as a certain color depending on my emotions, and imagining a white glowing aura around you would protect you from any bad energies. I did that and it worked, I was literally repelling bad thoughts and bad energies and bad emotions. eventually I could do it for people too, if an argument was about to arise I would visualize a white circle around everyone in the room, sort of visualize the dark, bad energies leaving the circle and things will be good after that. I also read that you should keep a list of all the things you get right, and I did (mentally) the list just kept getting longer. This lasted about a month or so. However I was also occasionally taking psychedelic drugs like LSD. Shortly before I had a psychotic break I took shrooms and had a really bad trip. I was lost in a city I don’t know and I was walking with my sister. We separated and I didn’t know where she was. I walked all over the city looking for her, I was walking for like 5 hours. I couldn’t reach my boyfriend or her because my phone got fucked up after an altercation I got in earlier that day. This was the first time I heard voices, I was hearing my sister and my friends voice and they were giggling and saying “shh she’s coming!” And I thought i was in a game. It was a very confusing experience and I ended up in the hospital. Anyway skip a couple of months I had to come back home (I was in college, first year) to get help. I started getting serious delusions and I had an episode like twice, and I ended up in a mental hospital. I was out after a couple of weeks and I haven’t had an episode since (that was about 8-9 months ago) since I’ve been adhering to my medication (antipsychotics- first risperidone then when I started improving olanzapine) but ever since I’ve started getting “better” my psychic abilities are like gone. I don’t get any vibes or energies or knowing where things are, nothing. I hate it, I felt like I discovered something new and interesting and I was learning how to improve it and control it. Does anyone have a similar experience?

4sho4sho

Mind you when I had psychic abilities I hadn’t developed the schizophrenia yet. Also I have schizoaffective disorder

P

Paranoid_Android

My sister has some sort of psychic abilities and when I told someone from my mental health team they said it sounds like she needs help. She doesn't live in the same area as me and has been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder but she still has her psychic abilities, maybe she wouldn't if she was on anti-pychostics.

I'm not a psychic. I don't know what or who I am.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

I have had times when I've been psychic and my support worker even raised his eyebrow one time when I was able to tell him what happened one day in the summer of 1976 that only he would know and I was correct 100% I was born in the mid 80's tho I'm not that old. Anyway my psychic abilities come and go and will hit me when I'm least expecting it.

If I was taking my meds at the time I don't think I'd ever have the ability to be psychic. I have to take my meds now but they put things into my head which aren't happening.

F

Funnyday

As well as having psychic ability I was able to make it snow. I did this 6 times. Once in Summer it snowed so much that my neighbour built an igloo. Another time I made it snow in just one postcode. In one instance I went to my doctors and I could predict what he was going to say exactly. Loads of other instances of psychic ability's. Medication stopped my psychic ability's.

burt tomato

burt tomato

As well as having psychic ability I was able to make it snow. I did this 6 times. Once in Summer it snowed so much that my neighbour built an igloo. Another time I made it snow in just one postcode. In one instance I went to my doctors and I could predict what he was going to say exactly. Loads of other instances of psychic ability's. Medication stopped my psychic ability's.
You sound like Storm from the X-men. Maybe you are mix of Xavier and Storm.

burt tomato

burt tomato

I have always maintained i believe schizophrenia is linked with psychic behavior but it is difficult to prove. It is also difficult to prove that meats causes heart disease and there is an afterlife.

L

la femme folle

I think that might be true of antipsychotics, I don't know. For me personally I don't feel I have actual psychic ability but maybe because I am too sensitive a person am more receptive to certain things. Also if you believe in these things or are genuinely open to believing them I think maybe that makes it more likely that you will be more receptive.

When I was on the clomipramine (not an antipsychotic) I had a few times in nursing homes when I 'picked up' on spiritual activity, but I find if you are not relaxed or you are expecting it you might be less likely to do so. Then I have another theory that it's about your level of consciousness at the time, in that when I was slightly drunk me and a friend were mucking around, I asked any presence to make itself known and the video recorder went off. It had never done that before. Of course we would be relaxed then.

There was one time a number randomly came into my head and they were calling out the lottery numbers at the time, and then they picked out that number. At uni I scored higher than average on a Zener card experiment. But if there is any ability there it's not been nurtured at all and I would not want it really.

As far as drugs go though I don't think anything like that happened on antipsychotics, and when I came off them any ideas about spiritual activity that I had (and I had a lot) were probably just psychosis. But if someone is genuinely psychic, and some diagnoses of schizophrenia are probably not actually down to being generally unwell anyway, and are related to spiritual matters, then antipsychotics probably do hamper such an ability.

Proving there is an afterlife probably can't be done using the tools of modern mainstream science anyway, but it doesn't mean it can't be proved.

S

schizophrenic123

It sounds like your in tune with nature. People can sense what the weather is going to do.My grandmothers legs used to ache when it was going to rain.

D

Dimensional traveller

I can’t see auras on my pills I used to. I guess the pills make me normal.