• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has Spirituality Become Another Ego Identity?

pepecat

pepecat

I'm slightly confused.
I get the feeling one of these posts is a sarcastic one...... and I"m not sure which. My instinct is the second, but given that some people on here are quite into the whole spirituality / self realisation thing, I'm not sure about the first post either.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm slightly confused.
I get the feeling one of these posts is a sarcastic one...... and I"m not sure which. My instinct is the second, but given that some people on here are quite into the whole spirituality / self realisation thing, I'm not sure about the first post either.
The second post was just a bit of fun.

The first post i think is a serious & major difficulty within all these areas - The spiritual Ego.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I feel the ego is similar to something made of rubber. It does have a natural size IMO - but can shrink or get too big.

The ego is not all bad in that sense. I feel it can bring joy and happiness and is linked to confidence.

I do not agree with an ego-less world - seems far too much like dreary communism and far too vulnerable.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Also I feel the ego is not really real is it. It is a concept and does not change reality. It can't teach school children or program a computer.

Perhaps it can buy an expensive car, or a second home. The ego that is too big just seems to be quite destructive.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

But the world would also be quite boring and kill a lot of comedies without the big ego.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation would settle for one fairy light instead of lighting the whole house up - would'nt it.

Last edited:
LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I would like to see a quieter more peaceful world - but that is maybe because I live at a busy crossroads - with cars all the time!! Perhaps if I lived in the Scottish Highlands I would be pining for activity!!!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I think the ego is a small inflatable organ in the skull. the larger it inflates, the smaller the brain becomes !!!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Hello513 Has any one else dabled in paganism Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 49
D A completely isolated self, who has had a similar experience? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 32
Z Shri Mataji has died Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 21
LORD BURT God Has A Fantastic Sense of Humor Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3
cpuusage What's Wrong With You? Nothing. What Has Happened to You? Something. Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
cpuusage Good news: A model residential center has just opened in the usa!!! Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 7
D Has anyone dreamed that they were burned, or injured? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 14
cpuusage Does Mental Illness Truly Exist As Western Medicine Has Us Believing? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 4
cpuusage What’s Wrong With You? Nothing. What Has Happened to You? Something. Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 26
D who here has had phycoanalysis? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 7
Z the spirituality of the Gallagher brothers Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 0
Marrex A discussion on spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3
Fay F Spirituality and Healing - And Dealing With Husband's BPD/ADHD/Depression/SA Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3
Hello513 I have a very complex somewhat troublesome relationship with spirituality. Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 4
J Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 9
A How do you fit spirituality into your life? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 4
Kerome Right speech, spirituality and the internet Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
LORD BURT Human Spirituality & Mental Illness: Barriers Lost Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 5
Kerome Spirituality and computer games Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 11
cpuusage The National Spirituality and Mental Health Forum (UK) Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
cpuusage Katie Mottram on Spirituality and Mental Distress Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 4
cpuusage Shamanic Spiritual Emergencies: The Dialectic of Distress and Spirituality, with Dr. Ingo Lambrecht Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3
cpuusage Spirituality, Mysticism and Esotericism Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
cpuusage Inspirational links connected with spirituality & healing in relation to mental health Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
cpuusage Spirituality and Mental Illness Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3
Kerome Psychology and spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 11
BrianHorlicks ITroubled Souls: Spirituality as a Mental Health Hazard Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
cpuusage Spirituality Interest Group, Royal College of Psychiatrists Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 7
cpuusage Making Space for Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
cpuusage Universal Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 12
Kerome What exactly is Spirituality? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 58
Kerome Spirituality and equality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 130
cpuusage When You Are Finished with Everything, Spirituality Begins Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
cpuusage Catholic view on spirituality in mental health Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
cpuusage Spirituality and Narrative in Psychiatric Practice Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
Kerome Spirituality and sexual desire Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
Kerome Scepticism and spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 12
Poopy Doll Four Hindu Principles of Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 6
E The Congruence & Confluence Of Spirituality & Psychosis Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 16
E Personality Typing and Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 4
F Spirituality in a bottle: Indian guru builds empire on ‘holy’ bodywash for the faithful Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 1
cpuusage Sh*t Doesn't Just Happen!! An Intro to Supersoul Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
cpuusage Dabney Alix on Spirituality, Shamanism and Mental Health Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 8
cpuusage The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 10
cpuusage Conversation on Trauma & Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3
Kerome The Spirituality of Being vs Doing Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 7
cpuusage 6 Stunning Differences Between Religion and Spirituality Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
Kerome Is spirituality a response to distress? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 23
cpuusage WPA section on Religion, Spirituality and Psychiatry Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 2
shaky Stress and struggle - how does this fit in with spirituality? Spirituality, Psychology and Psychiatry 3