• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has somebody been hospitalized for depression ?

kimidare

kimidare

Hi,

My therapist told me about the "hospitalization option", in the case one day I can t cope anymore, or survive until the next session (each per week).

I m really afraid about this option, I would like to know how it has been if you have already done that.

How long ?
Are there conditions to be admitted ?
Are you enclosed, forced to stay ? (Or even attached in case where we try too much to sh or worst ?? I m very panicked at these ideas)
What do you do during the time at the hospital ?
Is it an horrible experience ?

2Much2Feel

Hi kimidare, so sorry to hear you are feeling that bad. I can only say what I've experienced in the US, hospitalised 4 times at 4 different places. It may be a bit different there, but I think the main thing in common is that it keeps you safe. It's a safe place. That is sometimes necessary.

The "conditions" to get in were suicide attempts. I didn't have a safe place to go, so I didn't have a choice. They kept me a week to 10 days, then pretty much told me I was fine when my insurance ran out. But it offered some therapy, group therapy (which can be really helpful to be with others who understand, like here). It was an escape from everyone and a way to keep myself from self harming. They kept a rather rigid schedule of classes, etc., had to earn smoke breaks w good behavior, etc. I can't say I had the best staff at any of them, but I was in a bad space in my head and just felt a lot of the time like they were power tripping and all, I was angry I couldn't get out and do what I wanted. They are worn out a lot of the time, desensitised I guess.

I hope you get the help you need. If you don't feel safe, this may be a good option for you. Others here will better be able to describe the conditions in other places. Take care of yourself.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I was there for a few months following a serious suicide attempt. Other admissions were abiut seven to ten days. You are locked on the ward but free to move about your room and common areas. People are not usually forced to stay there if they are admitted voluntarily. However if they are unsafe to leave and they insist upon leaving the doctor can file a petition with the courts to get you to stay. This option does not come up all that often, however. Every day you are weighed, your vital signs are taken and you have breakfast. Then you do group therapies until lunch. After lunch is free time, sometimes games, art or more group therapies. Dinner time then games or time spent just hanging out. Sometimes there is television or movies. Usually there are set times that people can use their cell phones. That is a typical day at a psych ward here in America. Experiences run the gamut. A lot of whether or not it’s a positive experience has to do with the patients that are there with you. Some can be great, others can be awful. Staff can sometimes be a factor too in your stay there. It’s hard work and a lot of times the staff seem burnt out and jaded which means that some are not always that patient or kind. Still it’s a safe place to be. You can get help there. It’s a good place to experiment with new and different meds while you are under observation. And you are under observation the whole time you are there. It’s fine you get used to it. Overall I would say that my admissions have been okay. Not the best thing ever, not the worst thing ever though if I had my say I wouldn’t go back. I just find it very confining and to be stuck with people like that for such a long time gets tedious. Still a great option to have if you need it. I hope this helps. xo, j

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

Twice I have been admitted to the hospital because the emergency room doctor gave me a form. Form 7 if I remember correctly. Once I was followed by the police and handcuffed and driven to the hospital. My experience in locked unit was not fun. Not one person was able to have a conversation with me. The staff pretty much hid in the nurses station. They had a tv and there was a guy who didn’t talk and he watched tv all day and kept the channel on a 24 news station. I think the first rule of good mental health is to stop watching the news. I was threatened by the kitchen staff that they wouldn’t feed me because I wasn’t on their list. They told me it was my problem to solve or I wouldn’t get dinner. Group therapy once a week for an hour. Two guys my age wandered around not talking to anyone, followed by their wives, who were baffled on how to cope or what to do. I made my very best effort to bullshit my way out of there. I honestly didn’t know if I would continue my suicide attempt when they let me out. Shame on them for their response to my pain.

And even though I wanted to end my life, and their response was so horrible, I’m still here writing this to you. I don’t think I would be alive if I didn’t go to the hospital that day. Just saying.

I have been to day programs at three different hospitals. I referred to the day programs as burnt out school. Basically I got classes on all sorts of different mental health topics. In my opinion they should be teaching this to kids in school. Not waiting for adults to lose their mind before you get the education. I wasn’t well enough to practice what I was learning. But it was still a benefit to go to. I hope you decide to take advantage of what the hospital is offering you. Take notes and remember what they said.

StrugglingToForget

StrugglingToForget

I don't know of anyone in the UK. But I know of family members who should have been hospitalised, but couldn't get that kind of support.

Karmaman

Karmaman

In a bad place a few years and asked to go into hospital. The doctor advised against it but I felt so ill and was worried about my own safety. The hospital said there wasn't enough beds and tried to emotionally blackmail me into not going into hospital; ('Can you see what you're doing to you're family' which annoyed a family member who accompanied me. How can you say that to someone in such a terrible state?)
Anyway I spent a month in that hospital. One visit a week from a doctor. About three old books and nothing much else to do but lie around like everyone else or sign out for to stand outside for a cigarette break. After so many years I thought I would be getting some real help. I couldn't wait to get out of there. That is my experience. I realise that for some people in psychotic or going through a manic state states it may be the only place to be. However I found there to be little in the way of therapy and just people waiting to take their meds in the morning and evening.
One visit from a doctor a week I found to be unforgiveable.

B

Bunny7

Hospital in the UK is pretty much just for when you’re a high risk to either yourself or others. Even then they’ll try to keep you at home with help from the crisis team or day hospital which I prefer. They can make you stay on a ward but you’re free to move around the ward itself. It’s pretty boring but it does give your brain a space to chill.

R

Roxylox

Hi,

My therapist told me about the "hospitalization option", in the case one day I can t cope anymore, or survive until the next session (each per week).

I m really afraid about this option, I would like to know how it has been if you have already done that.

How long ?
Are there conditions to be admitted ?
Are you enclosed, forced to stay ? (Or even attached in case where we try too much to sh or worst ?? I m very panicked at these ideas)
What do you do during the time at the hospital ?
Is it an horrible experience ?

J

John06

Everytime I was hospitalized it was awful. they treated us like we were inmates that did something wrong, and that we couldve helped it. Like we were some lesser defects and well id personally recommend not going unless you want more bad experiences. I’m talking about a metal health hospital, I don’t know if they are different other places but the few I’ve been too were pretty bad.

R

Roxylox

I was in two different small facilities, once in 1989 for almost 6 weeks. In 2014 in another for around 2 weeks. For me both were positive experiences, both in Southern Ireland.
As someone said it can depend on the patients in with you, l was able to connect with some. We played scrabble and cards in the 2014 one. We had some Occupational Therapy where we had a lovely person who had us plan for our recovery in a fun way, she encouraged creativity.

One of the staff brought in a guitar one night a week and we had singalong. The staff in general were pleasant and helpful.

It was a very small facility but staff did their best with the resources they had.
A peer advocate called in. He told us the story of his own mental health journey and recovery
I found , both times, that residential care was what I needed at the time.
In Ireland ,now too, they will only admit you if they feel you are at risk. I had to ask twice to be admitted in 2014, as in the Uk they try and encourage you not to go in. Stay is usually short now.
I repeat, l am very grateful to the little hospitals I was in

F

fragrant_violet

Your in Paris right? I imagine psych hospitals ptetty much the same as everywhere. I ve visited folk but never been resident in one

I once asked to be admitted and the doc warned against it. He said so noisy at night you wont get much sleep. You get patients ordering delivery pizzas and curries. All sorts of shit going down.

Another time a doc asked if I wantwd to be admitted but only to give my carers a break.

So. As other folk hete said - if your not a risk to yourself or others there aint no benefits to be gained