• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has Schizophrenia affected your memory or intelligence?

I

IsaD

I'm taking a course, but it feels like schizophrenia has affected my memory and intelligence. I don't know if it's the illness or my age, but it feels like I forget more easily and like my intelligence isn't what I thought it was...Do you have the same problem?

R

Rebeca1

The medication makes me thicker wich doesn't work because mine is paranormal.
Really fed up 😒

Cabra

Cabra

I'm taking a course, but it feels like schizophrenia has affected my memory and intelligence. I don't know if it's the illness or my age, but it feels like I forget more easily and like my intelligence isn't what I thought it was...Do you have the same problem?
Are you on medication? It doe's this

G

goodgollymiss

Vitamin supplement drinks can help but dont take too many. So does salmon or cod liver oil which helps to get the fat out of your veins. There is a high chance of cholesterol with schizophrenia drugs.

Passionflower

Passionflower

I don't think schizophrenia has affected my memory or intelligence but the meds like antipsychotics certainly have.

I

IsaD

Are you on medication? It doe's this
I am on medication. That could be why. I just feel like this started to happen after I got the disease, but before the meds.

Zero One

Zero One

I am not sure if it is the schizophrenia or the bipolar but my memory is shot. Sometimes really sharp sometimes really awful.

EddieH

EddieH

Forum Safety Team
Did a cognitive function test and it was a disaster. A couple of hours doing puzzles etc. Not sure if it was the medication or the booze, but my mind ain't what it used to be.

Daybreak

Daybreak

I also believe it's the anti-psychotics too affecting our intelligence and memory.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
if you say something is due to the drugs psychiatrists say it's due to the illness, they've got this obsessive fear of you coming off them

how reliable my memory is i remember things family say never happpened could be gaslighting

L

Lab rat

It has definitely effected my memory, but long term memory from when I wasn’t on meds is ok. My intelligence seems to have weathered it fine but intelligence is linked to memory so there’s some loss.

It has effected my memory.... and ...
It has effected my memory....
My memory? Oh yes it has effected my memory

Lol

Cabra

Cabra

I am on medication. That could be why. I just feel like this started to happen after I got the disease, but before the meds.
Antipsychotics worsen this, how long have you been on them, any plans to taper off?

Finite

Finite

@IsaD I'm definitely not the sharpest pencil in the box any more, but as to whether the illness has left my memory and intelligence level blunted or if it's down to 20 years plus of effectively being a guinea pig, trialling loads of different meds in the hope of finding something that helps...I'll never know. I hope you're able to find ways to manage the study you're doing for your course, in spite of everything :).

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I changed the way I think. An important aspect is to try and be true, for that compliments intelligence. Sometimes lying is required for humour or survival.

Another blocker to intelligence is fear. Once you control your fear, you are able to be more intelligent.