• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has Bipolar Interrupted Your Education?

jb5784

jb5784

I was a student at a top-ranked US university and a manic episode that lasted two years forced me to leave school. I was completely delusional and thought God had given me special powers to find the meaning of life. I ended up dropping out of university three times. I'd like to go back and complete my degree and eventually get a Ph.D. but I'm concerned Bipolar will once again turn things upside down. Has this happened to any of you guys?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
A support worker for my mental health team has bipolar and manages to be very good at his job, they send him on courses regularly to update his skills and because of his lived experience he's an amazing advocate for recovery.

He spent a total of three years on various wards in the 80's with his manic depression which is what they now call bipolar and he even had psychosis. He's written three books about his life and recovery and been on the radio and gives talks about recovery.

I know it may not compare much to university life and the stress that may bring but as I said he's very good at his job.

N

Notalwaysever

I am pretty sure it was you I was telling about all my school mess. I got my bachelors straight out of high school in three years with good grades. Back then I was still diagnoses as having some type of mood disorder but it wasn't really an issue for me and I took no meds. I went back a few years ago and failed out of a second bachelors in biology then tried to get a masters in health administration and failed out the second semester because I lost track of what day the finals were on. Now, next week, I am going to a community college online to get a two year technical degree, which feels like a huge step down and I still don't know if I am going to be able to handle it. I really need to get this certification though because I cannot keep doing my current job at my current pay.

limbo_grrrl

limbo_grrrl

Hey! I hope you had a good day.
I'm interested in your question because I have a similar story. The manic episodes are very much in the way of my learning. I take too many projects, tasks, make promises and try to do everything at once. And then... I'm depressed and in a lot of debt. Without the strength to solve this problem.
But I kind of found a way to make the mania easier. You need someone who can slow you down. For example, your dean, classmate, family member, and so on. They will notice signs of mania. Take a break for a while. I know it's difficult, but you have to try to do something else. Just for not to do anything wrong.
I have a good example of how this can be handled. My teacher is 60 and has bipolar disorder. She still teaches us, but sometimes she takes days off. This is the time of her mania, which is locked for by her husband. She's 60, but she's got an education and a job. Yes, the disease makes our lives more difficult, but it does not put an end to our history.
I hope I said something right. Take care of yourself, jb5784
(and I'm sorry if there are mistakes. English is not my native language)

limbo_grrrl

limbo_grrrl

I am pretty sure it was you I was telling about all my school mess. I got my bachelors straight out of high school in three years with good grades. Back then I was still diagnoses as having some type of mood disorder but it wasn't really an issue for me and I took no meds. I went back a few years ago and failed out of a second bachelors in biology then tried to get a masters in health administration and failed out the second semester because I lost track of what day the finals were on. Now, next week, I am going to a community college online to get a two year technical degree, which feels like a huge step down and I still don't know if I am going to be able to handle it. I really need to get this certification though because I cannot keep doing my current job at my current pay.
I hope everything will be allright and you will solve your problem. And I'm sure you're smart enough to find a decent job. You're doing biology, and it's so damn hard. And maybe your new specialty is not a step down but a convenient alternative? Have a nice day, Notalwaysever.

jb5784

jb5784

I understand where you are coming from. Didn't you attempt medical school or something like that? I could be mistaken and have your story mixed up with someone else.

jb5784

jb5784

I'm going to go back to college but a Ph.D. may be a bit too stressful. I don't want to end up back in the hospital again just to get an academic credential. I think if I take 2-3 classes at a time, I will be able to complete my degree. It might take me longer than someone else but at least I will be pursuing a dream.

W

Worriedyin

What about doing an online degree? I saw a friend who has bipolar over the festive period and that's what they're doing at the moment. We have the Open University over here which lets you take a bit more time if you need it.

Gothic Christian

Gothic Christian

I would say bi-polar + migraines combined made it where I could not complete my college education..I also tried going to a business school and that did not pan out either...I want to go back to school and at least learn a trade of some kind so I can at least say that I got some skills..is such a drag being mentally + physically ill all of the time!! 80[[

jb5784

jb5784

I would say bi-polar + migraines combined made it where I could not complete my college education..I also tried going to a business school and that did not pan out either...I want to go back to school and at least learn a trade of some kind so I can at least say that I got some skills..is such a drag being mentally + physically ill all of the time!! 80[[
I hear you out. I want to feel like a productive person in society. It’s difficult to manage various moods all the time.