• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Has anyone tried Valarian Root for social anxiety?

C

coraline1664

My anxiety over anything with any sort of social aspect to it has reached it's peak again. The panic attacks are worsening and I've had problems more recently with my brain 'switching off'. I can't really go out of the house on my own, I've lost contact with all friends, can't deal with my family and finding it incredibly hard to keep my flat running and in some sort of order, especially when that involves phone calls, having people round to fix/look at things and even taking the rubbish out. (Also my bins have been stolen again and I can't even get to the council.)

I'm getting desperate, and I can't get to the doctors or phone, I wouldn't know what to say that would get me appropriate help anyway. I am on a long waiting list for CBT but the idea of even getting to the appointments seems almost impossible. I have been on many different medications for this problem alongside depression and personally they have only given me inconvient/painful side effects and no benefits.

Does anyone know much about Valarian Root? I have heard it is good for anxiety. I think it's mainly used as a sleep aid and don't know how much it could help, but would be willing to give it a try. I am not expecting a big difference with anything, just enough to help me to be able to cope with everyday tasks, and give me a little step up so I feel more in control and able to work on my recovery.

Look forward to reading any replies!
Elizabeth

S

*Sapphire*

I've not tried valarian root. But have other alternatives like lavender under my pillow, burning essential oils, cutting down on caffeine and drinking chamomile tea, breathing and relaxation exercises. They have all helped to a degree.

I found mindfulness most helpful though, but that is my experience.

I hope you find something that works for you. :)

E

eternaljourney

I'm just trying it recently but it's too soon to know if it's affective or not, lots of good things are said about it all over the net.

N

nina

Hello,
I suffer from similar stuff to yourself I'm in the half way stage of cbt now. I've discovered the reasons why I suffer from my phobias and anxiety which was a real lift it was like a lightbulb had been switched on in my head. My problem is now changing the habits of a lifetime.

I really feel for you...I'm supposed to be going to a family tea at a restaurant my father in law is 75 I am having a rubbish day I binge eat when I'm like this now I just want to throw up.

Yesterday was a good day today is a nightmare. I've not worked for 2 months things have improved but I could not even face the shop everyday let alone a job.

Why don't you try writing a letter to the council I sometimes find sorting through papers helpful makes me feel slightly more together!

In my ideal world I would live in a house with big gardens to walk round on my own and deal with my bad days on my own. I'm on venlaflaxine I have felt some improvement the depression isn't as bad my anxiety is medium to vile like now!! I had never heard of the stuff your asking about I'm going to try it.

:grouphug:good luck hon I keep a scruffy diary I write random stuff done find it helps !!

C

crazygal78

I have tried valarian root for sleep,but never for anxiety,although maybe it can be a bit of a placebo effect of drinking it in a warm soothing tea.
I have heard of something called kava Kava is supposed to be great for anxiety,but I have never seen it anywhere and wouldn't know where to buy it.

P

philmriv

It can be addictive, it's suggested not to use it long-term.

As an alternative (natural stuff), try DHA (an extract of omega 3 fish oil that reduces anxiety).

Pycnogenal (a French natural pine bark supplement).

If you are going to use meds, research very carefully to be sure it's not an addictive med (many are not addictive but some are).

MediTation can really help... ("mindfulness meditation" or "insight meditation").

I have tried valarian root for sleep,but never for anxiety,although maybe it can be a bit of a placebo effect of drinking it in a warm soothing tea.
I have heard of something called kava Kava is supposed to be great for anxiety,but I have never seen it anywhere and wouldn't know where to buy it.

C

coraline1664

thank you for all the replies, I will have do some more research I think. I am practising meditation when I can and have found it helpful when I've been able to concentrate. Other times it tends to stir up a battle with my thoughts which is exactly what the purpose of meditation isn't!
thanks again

e

P

philmriv

When meditation disturbs / stirs up the mind.

When mediTation stirs up negative thoughts, it's usually best to shift to mediTating directly on emotions--

(Present-oriented and watching-oriented meditation, rather than relaxation-oriented meditation).

That's because usually an underlying emotional disturbance is what is stirring up the thinking.

Here is one way to quiet such disturbances--

In particular, doing mediTations that focus on body-scans (that then shift to feeling scans, followed by steady & sustained 'watching-meditation' for more than 30 minutes) can really help in stilling / quieting the mind.

**With the focus of finding the worst feeling (emotion) in the body, and then meditating directly on that (sustained detached watching) in a sustained way.

Trying to identify (and release) subtle control issues can also help to get mediTation back on track.

That's what works for me anyhow, everybody is different.

But it does work for me. And I've seen it work for many others...

Last edited:
lal10

lal10

I've used valerian tea and essential oil and have found it beneficial. It is supposed to be a sleeping aid/sedative but I find that it takes the edge off my anxiety. I also use chamomile and lemon balm teas which are good too.

S

skath

I think it might help. Also try Bach Flower essences. Some of them are very good for that. I think Mimulus might be the one to try, but if you go to a health food store they have a book you can look through to select. They are easy to use. Buy a small bottle, also buy an empty bottle with dropper. Put 4 drops of the Mimulus or whatever in the empty bottle with some spring water. Then as many times a day as you need (I usually need 5-10 times but most people do less) put 4 drops of that solution in a glass of water and drink. Helps immediately!!