• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has anyone tried these to treat depression?

W

Wordie

Hi

I've done some research. There's a couple of things to try...
Turmeric powder with oil (curries) increases BDNF which could be what anti-depressants are fixing up rather than your serotonin etc. Apparently depressed people have a small hippocampal area which reduces neurogenesis which is basically brain growth. This is fixed with BDNF.
Intense physical exercise - same as above
Low calorie diet - as above
Cognitive Enhancers - those drugs are listed on the wikipedia page inc. Ginkgo Biloba
Fish Oil it's a proven brain helper.
Vitamins
SAMe
A diet for hypoglycaemia
Massage
Checking for food intolerances - can drag you down
Chinese medicine (brilliant & works but expensive)
St Johns Wort - tablets or tea
Yerba Mate - tea for energy
... has anyone tried these & what have you found?

Thanx

W.

Last edited:
icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
Chinese medicine can be done yourself with some research. Its very effective and lets be honest, the Chinese were treating thyroid disorders when we were just past grunting.
Apparently accupuncture is effective. I have just started Wing Chun and find it good for focusing the mind. I now have a personal trainer to get me running and the exercise is really helping.
I would suggest that guys get their testosterone levels checked too as at low levels it can make you flat and lethargic. Not many GP's will do this though so it may pay to chase it up privately if you can afford it. I'm lucky in that in my area it is funded.

S

shabbia

Hi Wordie,

Tried the supplements angle, personally think if we can get the balance of a diet right its better for us. Sometimes for different health reasons mental/physical we might be a bit deficient on a certain vitamin or mineral. Im interested in "cravings", these can be indications of needing a particular vitamin or mineral and can also be an indicator of an imbalance in our diet. The usual thing is where youre out and you suddenly want something sweet so we buy chocolate which gives a fast high and momentarily satisfies us but then comes the crash! What we perhaps should have eaten is something with carbohydrates or a piece of fruit............im rambling arent i. Anyhoo, i had bad anxiety a few years back and went to our chinese doctor and he gave me herbal remedies which helped my panic attacks at that time... What we eat is so important and can make a huge difference to our lives as can exercise........:)

Q

quality factor

Very interesting stuff.
It needs pointing out though, that it can be potentially dangerous to take remedies like St John's Wort etc if you are taling psychiatric drugs particularly AD's. This needs to be checked out with a Pharmacist or GP.

A

anastasia

exercise does help but it only helps me while i'm doing it. as soon as i stop i feel shitty again

N

Nutter_09

I have been told to try a lot of these things, My family try to get me to take vitamins etc. My Mum even made me a HOPS pillow to help sleep!
My problem is i just "can't be bothered"
I feel lazy and I know they could help, but I just cant be arsed - it'snot like i dont want to get better, Just wish their was a quick fix.

W

Wordie

hi

Mmmm a quick fix would be nice. A lot of these things are expensive and take a while to work so no luck there so far.
I get attacks like the flu if i get too stressed and they are getting shorter. It's about once a year now for a month after acute on chronic blah blah blah for years. This time I got straight into the fish oil, liquid iron+b's - floradix, vitamin B12, after a couple of weeks I got my bloods all tested and it looked all fine. This might have been partly due to the supplements. I have been really low in Iron/B12 at different times when depression has set in, so it is important to check.
Everyones got 'issues' I just think with mental problems there's something besides our 'issues' and until you're a bit better mood-wise it could be better not to focus on internal issues. Your main focus should be on something outside yourself like music, tv, the green grass and the blue sky. Anything really. Especially if you can't think straight.
I found Inositol also has been proven to help psych issues. 6 gms a day. I'm going to try it, and Choline- 500mgs a day. They aren't cheap but buying online apparently decreases the cost. Also methionine(amino acid precursor to SAMe) Apparently body builders take all this stuff! Found it at the body building supplement site. But cheaper at http://www.discountnaturalhealth.com - it is an australian site.
I am also going to find a GP who wants to help me pick a dose and supervise this stuff. No need to mess any more with my brain.
How do you do chinese medicine yourself? I got to meridian lines and gave up! And yeah I had acupuncture with the herbs. Don’t know which worked best but found acupuncture amazingly relaxing.
Diet is very important but I don't believe in being nuts about what I eat as it can create eating disorders + is too much effort! I don't drink coffee, I have half a sugar in my tea, I eat red meat, and salads, I win! Over a lot of people! Proper diet might have worked when there was still proper soil, and all that jazz.
more advice: no alcohol or illicit drugs obviously but REALLY (except for 2 STANDARD DRINKS of red wine 5/7 days, failing that white wine, failing that beer. Not your harsher drinks. And ENJOY it if you're gonna do it)
even more advice: take it easy on yourself + try for 10 min a day to do something for your health, it all counts eventually, the small steps.
Also 'this too shall pass' and 'it WILL get better' and be patient, if u can't believe it, just be patient. (talking to yourself is good!)

thanx
W

pps. I also got a take away mild curry the other day delish!

W

Wordie

having said that...

Things are HEAPS better after 2 years of psychotherapy and reducing actual stress in my life by moving the f*ck away!

W

Wordie

um so i called myself wordie for a reason

Have just started tea again after trying to quit caffeine in case it's a factor in my anxiety so bear with me i'm a bit too wide awake...
1. find a good GP - they have to seem to care and know a bit - usually it's female GP's who are better at dealing with psych issues - there was a study. Start taking a good multivitamin. swisse, floradix, your chemists own.
2. find a good psych
3. keep going to GP and psych
4. keep going to psych
...start feeling a bit better...
4. keep going to psych
5. start working on your issues, do yoga, meditation, eat better, quit large amounts of alcohol, quit coffee, quit drugs inc. legal ones taper off antidepressants slowly!, try alternative therapies and supplements
6. keep going to psych
etc. keep trying.
I am amazed at how little one is informed about this stuff when it first becomes apparent. Here, take these, go home. Is about the be all and end all. til you start following the steps above.
Thanx for listening to my oh so wordly advice. Happy to hear yours. Oh there is a good book by helen razer the comedian she's awesome it's 'gas smells awful: the mechanics of being a nutcase.' read it. I read it ages before i got to be nuts and i blame it entirely for giving me the idea in the first place! But if your here u already found out about depression and how great it is to be mental so read it anyway!
Thanx,
W

P

purpleveggie

Hi

I've done some research. There's a couple of things to try...
Turmeric powder with oil (curries) increases BDNF which could be what anti-depressants are fixing up rather than your serotonin etc. Apparently depressed people have a small hippocampal area which reduces neurogenesis which is basically brain growth. This is fixed with BDNF.
Intense physical exercise - same as above
Low calorie diet - as above
Cognitive Enhancers - those drugs are listed on the wikipedia page inc. Ginkgo Biloba
Fish Oil it's a proven brain helper.
Vitamins
SAMe
A diet for hypoglycaemia
Massage
Checking for food intolerances - can drag you down
Chinese medicine (brilliant & works but expensive)
St Johns Wort - tablets or tea
Yerba Mate - tea for energy
... has anyone tried these & what have you found?

Thanx

W.
St Johns Wort is the most popular choice of treatment for depression in Germany.
I tried it along with vit E and fish oils but it made no difference at all:(
Some "super foods" that are proven to have benefits for depression sufferers include :chickpeas,bananas and turkey.
I include all 3 in my diet as i Like em but cant say I feel any different/better.:cry:

B

Borderline

I do intense exercise, take vitamins, and have a healthy diet. I've engaged in these habits for about 5 or 6 years. It does help to be healthy, but nothing can beat depression when it hits.

O

olan

no, i never tried that yet. but i think that's cool. thanks for posting something like that! many thanks!