• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Has anyone tried meds for BED

pinkmxttr

pinkmxttr

I was taking Prozac, to help with depression and anxiety but my psychologist and i thought they’d also help with binge urges. at first they did i saw the most improvement i’ve ever seen, but then the low was really low and i stopped taking them and my binging is back to being completely out of control. i’ve never tried any medication specifically for binge eating; i did try, but my doctor said “there are no magic pills to suppress my hunger.” (i was asking her to help me treat binge eating and it was the first time i’d told her in confidence that i needed help...didn’t even bother to mention the purging after that response. can anyone tell me how their experience was/is with meds for BED?

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

Prozac never helped me. I take suppliments though. But I still binge. Least they prevent me from gaining weight. Please talk to your doctor about suppliments. :hug:

N

NewBED20

I am trying my third med for BED. I was recently diagnosed and my NP says not to give up bc there are many others to try. She is very encouraging. I am being successfully treated for depression and anxiety with Cymbalta and Wellbutrin.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

I am trying my third med for BED. I was recently diagnosed and my NP says not to give up bc there are many others to try. She is very encouraging. I am being successfully treated for depression and anxiety with Cymbalta and Wellbutrin.
:welcome: to the forum.

T

Takingmybrain

I take topimate for migranes. Its a anti epeleptic but apparently at higher doses alit people loose weight and loose appitte. I dont know if many doctors would be allowed prescribe it just for weight loss or appite control reasons or not though.

SchrodingersCat

SchrodingersCat

I took effexor briefly and it helped with my anxiety/depression, plus killed my appetite. For me, I found that any medication that helps ease my anxiety/depression also helps with the binging, as the binging for me is a coping mechanism.

I'm now on lexapro (and lamotrigine) and this is the most effective combo for me. If your binging goes hand-in-hand with your depression/anxiety, then I'd suggest not giving up on testing out new antidepressants. It took me about 6 months to find the right solution for me and the binging (and depression/anxiety) has been significantly reduced!

For me, the combo of meds and therapy was very important for my progress. If you're not in therapy then I suggest reading "Intuitive Eating" by Resch and Tribole. It gave me a lot of information that helped me in conjunction with therapy and meds.

pinkmxttr

pinkmxttr

I take topimate for migranes. Its a anti epeleptic but apparently at higher doses alit people loose weight and loose appitte. I dont know if many doctors would be allowed prescribe it just for weight loss or appite control reasons or not though.
i have chronic migraines so it’s worth a shot! thank you

pinkmxttr

pinkmxttr

I took effexor briefly and it helped with my anxiety/depression, plus killed my appetite. For me, I found that any medication that helps ease my anxiety/depression also helps with the binging, as the binging for me is a coping mechanism.

I'm now on lexapro (and lamotrigine) and this is the most effective combo for me. If your binging goes hand-in-hand with your depression/anxiety, then I'd suggest not giving up on testing out new antidepressants. It took me about 6 months to find the right solution for me and the binging (and depression/anxiety) has been significantly reduced!

For me, the combo of meds and therapy was very important for my progress. If you're not in therapy then I suggest reading "Intuitive Eating" by Resch and Tribole. It gave me a lot of information that helped me in conjunction with therapy and meds.
honestly, yes it all comes hand in hand for me as well. I did binge less when i was treating my depression. i’ve got a doctors appt. with a new doctor next month, i’m ready to bring all of this up and hopefully find the right set of meds soon. thank you! i’ll also look into finding that book.