Has Anyone Tried A Weighted Blanket To Help With Symptoms?

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I finally bought a weighted blanket today,it's 15 lbs,in the hopes that it will help with the difficulties I have with sleep/nightmares,as well as night time anxiety.

I have read online that they're helpful for those with PTSD.

Has anyone tried one and did you find it helpful?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’ve never heard of them . I’d be interrested to know if so help. Could they help with regular nightmares due to trauma

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I had been wanting to try one for at least the past 4 or 5 years and now I finally get to.I found mine rather cheap at a closeout store in another town(it was $50).I hope I get my money's worth.There's tutorials online and on youtube to make your own if you're interested in going that route.

I do believe it would help with nightamares from trauma since they're supposedly helpful for PTSD.I guess I will find out tonight if it helps any and I will update here to let you know.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

First night's experience with the weighted blanket:

I think I went right to sleep,I must have because usually I toss and turn and can't stop thinking and have to try to clear my mind or think of comforting things and images to doze off and I didn't do that.

I woke up probably 2 times but must have went right back to sleep.Usually I lay there trying to get back to sleep after I wake up,sometimes I get up for awhile,use the restroom,watch TV,etc. but I didn't do that last night.

I don't think I had any bad dreams or nightmares,if I did they didn't wake me and I don't remember having any.

I didn't wake up drenched in sweat with a pounding heart.That's something I do nearly every night but I didn't do that at all.I usually throw all the blankets off of me,have to take my pajamas off just to cool down.It's surprising I didn't get too hot considering I had 15 lbs on top of me.

The blanket felt comforting.That's the only word I can think of to describe it.And I think I actually got about 8 hours of sleep so I'm very pleased as of right now.

The only complaint I have is my neck feels a little sore.I think because I like to pull/tuck a blanket under my chin and it being so heavy was too much.I'm sure I will adjust to that though.

I think I will keep updating here to see if it was just a one-off thing or if it will really make a difference.

megirl

megirl

Aren't they awesome:)
Last time I was admitted to hospital,we tried the weighted blanket,when distressed I need to get grounded
I feel like it calms me down and find it comforting.
Its safer then wanting to go outside and sitting in the dark out on the concrete in the middle of blimmen winter,
Its is very comforting

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

It IS calming,isn't it? It's strange that having weight on you would feel like that.

I did have some thoughts before going to bed of what if it makes me feel like I'm being held down and had anxiety just from thinking that but it wasn't like that at all.It's more like being held but not being held down.

I hope I sleep as well tonight as I did last night.I will update again tomorrow.

megirl

megirl

I kind of looked at them like really??!? Must have been in a good mood, though doubtful thought may as well try it and yes thats what its like, been held :hug:

megirl

megirl

daffy I was lucky the occupational therapist when I was in hospital made one for me.
The fabric she uses she finds curtain off-cuts or samples.
And uses wheat like in wheat bags.
You may be able to find something on the internet to get ideas if you can sew
Annoying that these sort of things can be so pricey

write

write

I've never tried one but us good to know they seem to help.Sleep so precious, necessary x

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Weighted blankets can be used at other times too,not just for sleeping.They can be used anytime someone is feeling upset,anxious or whatever.LOL,not something that can be carried in a purse and used out in public or anything,they're too heavy to lug around.I do plan on using mine on bad days,cover up with it while on the couch when I'm having major anxiety.I will try that and update how much it helps for that too.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m so restless at night I can turn my duvet completely over and the bottom is usually at the top of the bed. My late partner used to say I was like a wriggling worm up and down the bed all night. I’m not surprised I always wake up tired.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I didn't have such a great night last night,but considering everything that's going on in my life right now,it was to be expected.

I did wake up about 5 or 6 times,but not for very long.I was able to get back to sleep pretty quickly.But then I woke up at like 6 in the morning,stayed up for an hour and then went back to sleep for almost 3 hours.I still got about 8 hours of sleep even though all the waking up.So I do believe the blanket is helping.

I plan on looking up the science behind how they actually help.I will share it here when I do.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I’m so restless at night I can turn my duvet completely over and the bottom is usually at the top of the bed. My late partner used to say I was like a wriggling worm up and down the bed all night. I’m not surprised I always wake up tired.

That's how I am too.Not with this blanket though.Maybe because of the 15 lbs on top of me I just don't wriggle around so much.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm still really liking the blanket.And I'm finding myself actually wanting to go to bed at night and wanting to sleep,I look forward to it.Night time usually isn't something I look forward to so that's unusual for me.There's been mornings I have woke up and thought "I don't want to get up" and I don't,I lay in bed for another hour or so just because it's so comfortable.

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and the blanket was tucked under the sides of my body and it felt really comforting and I fell right back to sleep.I can tell a difference since I got it and I wish I would have got one a long time ago.

megirl

megirl

That's awesome to hear,
I know it comforts,and 'grounds' me.
Who would have thought, certainly would recommend it too others that may benefit from it.
Any things worth a try

D

Davisss

That's awesome to hear,
I know it comforts,and 'grounds' me.
Who would have thought, certainly would recommend it too others that may benefit from it.
Any things worth a try
Does it really work I often have nightmares where I thrash around and scream but does it works?

Also a 15 pound blanket I don't think this would work for me I'm only 89 pounds like I don't think I could get out from under it