• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

has anyone seen things in their head at night

S

suki1066

hello all
i have over the years been on ads for periods of time, im now 44 and after 15 years gone back on them in August last year. This was after trying to cope with several situations for a long while and realising from past experiences i needed some extra help. I went to relate, thank god i could aford to pay and get to talk to someone as soon as i realised i needed some help, the wait for others and myself in the past is awfull. the question i have is that at night time when i shut my eyes in bed i was seeing horrible faces which came towards me and mutated, it is very frightening, it feels as though i am looking at the faces from eyes open in my forhead, or minds eye.

i was self medicating on wine to knock myself out so i wouldnt have to have this every night, therefor had a hangover every day, plus the stress the next evening knowing what was coming. i have a busy job, stress can sometimes be high,
this has now passed to some degree, i have " talked to the faces" and told them to go away etc. and try to thiink of happy things, to control my own mind if you will.
my life is somewhat coming together again and now i feel alot more positive i feel able to ask if anyone else has had this sort of experience i didnt tell anyone as i thourght i was mad!!! yep i know i was depressed but ive never experienced anything like it. it lasted for 8 months or so.
i like to try and analise and find reasons for feelings/thourght for "next "time
sorry for the long post xx

S

starfish

seeing faces

hello sukie, i have seen these faces most nights when i settle down to sleep at night . i think its a side effect of my meds dont which ones im on so many. i have just got used to them and dont take any notice of them.:)

NeoDelta

NeoDelta

I see faces but i also have schizophrenia as well as depression. I can be reading a book and a face will come out of the book towards my face, used to make me jump at first but i got used to them. happens with the computer screen too.

Sometimes I feel i can see into my head and see faces flying and swouming around inside my head like ghosts, sometimes i am one of them, other times im an onlooker. It was very scary at first but they happen alot now so im kinda used to them.

S

suki1066

thanks starfish, do you think it could have been a symptom of depression, im on citralapram now and certainly not so bad, sleep is still hit and miss, but at least im not so tired in the day just night time, as it should be x

emski

emski

the question i have is that at night time when i shut my eyes in bed i was seeing horrible faces which came towards me and mutated, it is very frightening, it feels as though i am looking at the faces from eyes open in my forhead, or minds eye
This is exactly how I would describe them, and it is also as if I seem them in my mind's eye - one face mutating or melting into another. Sometimes the faces have individual voices, or I hear overlapping monologues and see the faces. Sometimes they are harmless, sometimes threatening. I'm bipolar and have had them when manic, depressed, mixed, or even not having a full blown episode, and occasionally when well. I have had them whilst unmedicated and medicated. I also wondered if they were part of the sleep paralysis I sometimes suffer.

Interesting to know others experience very similar 'faces'.

D

DELATEXT

Shadows

I see "shadows" , figures who I feel mean me great harm,
they come often at night and I wake up suffering night terrors !!
I know there not real but they seem real ??
Maybe this does n't make sense yet the "shadows" have been with me since my teens.

:confused::confused:

S

suki1066

its an interesting reply eim, as my dd has been diagnosed last yr with bipolar 1 and i knew something was wrong for many years, just couldnt put my finger on it, having read on here and many sites, there is so much that i fully understood and empathised with. the whole family has mh illnesses, my brother scitsoprenic ( sorry spelling is awfull) mum depresion, my dad alcholic deff bi polar behavour.
although i am not as swingy as my dd, many elements are, but i am depressed for long periods of time, then okish . i have had to find other ways to cope, such as yoga, breathing, buddism, interests. i am 44 now and def belive that as you get older and accepting,, that all your friends arnt as normal as i belived everyone else to be, finding my voice and being shown how to say what i really mean and feel was a huge help, this was only last year lol could have done with that a bit earlier on in life ill say!
i do know that i have come far in what ever mh issues i have, that i am still developing coping stratergies, and the most important thing to enjoy when you can, to remain as positive as you can, and that bad times do pass xx

D

DELATEXT

They

They slither across the dark,
shadows eerie and vividly cold,
eyes red glowing , they spark,
something unreal you cannot hold,
Shadows bleak, menacing grins,
the images of imagined sins,
hook into your mind,
steal your hope, leave you blind,
Voices deep and grunting fear,
chant poison in your ear,
You're nothing ! useless cretin, a fool,
Shadows taunt, greedy and cruel,
Hopeless feelings drench your heart,
Shadows feast, will they never depart !!

:scared::scared:

S

starfish

faces

i dont really know if the faces are a symptom of depression or a side effect of meds. i think its a side effect but not sure i was just going by what my psyc-doc said.

S

suki1066

starfish, i had this before i was on tablets????

M

memyself and b

thanks starfish, do you think it could have been a symptom of depression, im on citralapram now and certainly not so bad, sleep is still hit and miss, but at least im not so tired in the day just night time, as it should be x
oh my god i nearly passed out when i read your post, i too am on citalopram and have bipolar.I have been seeing these faces for about 3 or so months and sometimes they seem friendly but others are terrifying! Thankyou so much for putting this post on because now I too dont feel like im going mad:clap:

S

suki1066

lol, i know what you mean, we all must do that ...afraid to say anything coz we feel like we are odd..... then when you do you find others just the same and therefor not odd ...
feels quiet nice doesnt it xxxx

M

memyself and b

lol, i know what you mean, we all must do that ...afraid to say anything coz we feel like we are odd..... then when you do you find others just the same and therefor not odd ...
feels quiet nice doesnt it xxxx
being on here kind of makes you feel normal:unsure:

D

DELATEXT

normal

We are as we are, broken blossoms, we shine even in the dark storms of life,
we carry grief and pain like playing cards, each dealt a different hand,
we walk the dark road, sometimes as timid children but we glow,
we are better than "normal" we are never bland, we are vivid,
we are stars reflecting in the ocean of life,
we are as we are.....

:grouphug:

T

TOONAFISH

im not so bad just now, but for a while, when i was depressed, i used to get this. i used to be terrified going to bed. esp if my dh was out id get more worked up. i ended up thinking things were in my room, and that pics of my kids morphed into the devils face etc. i was on anti d's then but had been for a while and not had this.

hope it is gettin easier for you