• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has anyone noticed adverts follow you on the net?

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
This last week I have noticed that when I have been on sites that have advertising, the adverts are exactly what I have been looking at on the net. I find it a bit weird. Today on here there is an advert for something to do with silver hallmarking. That is exactly what I was looking up earlier.
Couple of days ago I was on yahoo answers and it was advertising holiday cottage agencies......the exact same ones that I had just been looking at. Not any different ones at all, onlythe ones I had looked at. Then to complete the freakiness it started to show the exact cottages I had been specifically looking at. I hadn't filled in e mail or anything like that.
It is very clever. The advertisers following you. You are bombarded with image after image and not allowed to forget that you may have been interested in it.
There has been others, but I put them down to coincedence until the cottage and then today the silver thing.
Anyone else?
HH

M

Miss Moody

yeah I get it all the time aswell xxx

Passionflower

Passionflower

Yep, shop sites that I have visited pop up all over the place when I am surfing. I believe there is some way of stopping this happening but don't know how to do it.

R

randomjedi

Yep, it does make you very paranoid at first but you're not imagining it, it's just all due to cookies on your PC keeping track of what you've looked at...still a bit creepy though

-Phoenix-

-Phoenix-

I think it has something to do with cookies. That, or it's all part of the Flying Spaghetti Monster's master plan.

M

Miss Moody

what you buying alot of cookies....

Mayfair

Mayfair

There was a programme about facebook the other day showing how they get adverts on there, it's ingenius. Thankfully I don't have it.

S

skyblue

Former member
I receive adverts on the right hand site of this site. With nearly every thread I log in to & depending in what people are discussing, an Advert pops up regarding the text. i.e. If I were to be discussing flowers for instance, then an Ad would pop up for Flower Bouquet Deliveries.

Am I being a bit thick here & with that, it is supposed to happen on the Site? I have no idea about these things. :shrug:

Last edited:
Fluffymum

Fluffymum

Yes that's a new style of brainwashing...I mean advertising that clever money making people have come with.
This goes the same for advertising on TV such as adverts are louder than what you are watching to grab your attention, when you watch a scary or intense film when you get to a scary bit when your attention is grabbed they switch suddenly to adverts.

I've also seen some things in some adverts that make me think other companies are paying them to use, such as formula milk companies paying certain channels to put bottles in the back of the screen image when a baby is involved; I would not be surprised if this is something they try, it makes bottle feeding 'normal' and seen more so people go for that option, no one would want to believe this but really are we making our own mind up about what we use or eat?

Like the Nicorette advert; the guy says are you coming out for a cigerette and the guy with the patch says no, the good looking guy literally laughs in his face and leave him without saying anything, the guy trying to give up then has a little sing a dance ON HIS OWN to some random characters dancing on the table that no one else can see, does this make him look good or weird? Just think; why would Nicorette WANT everyone to actually quit smoking, so many people buy their products, dont get the quick fix and then go back to smoking, this is what they want because they can continue to sell their product!

When does it end?

It's clever I'll give them that! I'd admire them if it wasn't for the disgust

Mayfair

Mayfair

Yes that's a new style of brainwashing...I mean advertising that clever money making people have come with.
This goes the same for advertising on TV such as adverts are louder than what you are watching to grab your attention, when you watch a scary or intense film when you get to a scary bit when your attention is grabbed they switch suddenly to adverts.

I've also seen some things in some adverts that make me think other companies are paying them to use, such as formula milk companies paying certain channels to put bottles in the back of the screen image when a baby is involved; I would not be surprised if this is something they try, it makes bottle feeding 'normal' and seen more so people go for that option, no one would want to believe this but really are we making our own mind up about what we use or eat?

Like the Nicorette advert; the guy says are you coming out for a cigerette and the guy with the patch says no, the good looking guy literally laughs in his face and leave him without saying anything, the guy trying to give up then has a little sing a dance ON HIS OWN to some random characters dancing on the table that no one else can see, does this make him look good or weird? Just think; why would Nicorette WANT everyone to actually quit smoking, so many people buy their products, dont get the quick fix and then go back to smoking, this is what they want because they can continue to sell their product!

When does it end?

It's clever I'll give them that! I'd admire them if it wasn't for the disgust

That has been going on as long as films have been around. Whether 'payments' go through the books is another thing.
Cigarette companies used to be masters of this.

Advertising is extremely big business. And I mean extremely big! They've long used experts to analyse human behaviour, and see what grabs attention. Appeal to emotions is a classic current tactic I've noticed - especially with injury/suing etc.

(just off for a drink of refreshing COKE)

L

lionshope

I know i've noticed this too about the sites you have looked at seem to follow you around when surfing quite freaky!,and as to the adverts fluffymum is right they do suddenly appear louder this must be to shock you into attention.

plus i remember watching a documentory on horror films were they hire exspert psyhcologists to make horror films more scary

Mayfair

Mayfair

I know i've noticed this too about the sites you have looked at seem to follow you around when surfing quite freaky!,and as to the adverts fluffymum is right they do suddenly appear louder this must be to shock you into attention.

plus i remember watching a documentory on horror films were they hire exspert psyhcologists to make horror films more scary

If you ever saw the Mary Whitehouse Experience, they took the pee out of this concept. Showing that the British horror movement collapsed in the past because they picked crap music. :LOL:

I wish I could find it on youtube, but despite EVERYTHING being on youtube, very little of MWE is on it, and this clip isn't on it, I have to rely on my memory :(

L

lionshope

no i don't know what this is mayfair..is the mary whitehouse affect a term?

Also it is very funny isn't it how something so small as type of music played in films can have such a big affect subconciously..breaking of subject some of those 80's horrors are very disturbing though does anyone agree anomatromics creepy.

Mayfair

Mayfair

no i don't know what this is mayfair..is the mary whitehouse affect a term?

No, it was a programme in the early 90's. Depending on how old you are, and your sense of humour, you might not get it. If you are under 30, you probably won't get the gist, as it was satire based on (or people) in those times.

It's very sarcastic humour. I find it hilarious. They take the piss out of everything in the world.

Also it is very funny isn't it how something so small as type of music played in films can have such a big affect subconciously..breaking of subject some of those 80's horrors are very disturbing though does anyone agree anomatromics creepy.

I bet you've done it... muted the sound on a horror, and it becomes lame! Everyone has :LOL:

L

lionshope

you hit the nail on the head on my age good guess lol,but no i still can't say i remember this program i will have to try and look it up as i was teenager in 90's.

and yeah thinking about it a Horror without sound would be preety lame lol.