Has anyone made a Total and Permanent Disability claim on their insurance?

EddieH

EddieH

Just realized I have quite a large TPD insurance policy on my superannuation. So I've inquired to make a claim. Has anyone done the same and was it hard? Thanks . I would think that I'm on the disability pension my condition would be hard for them to dispute. It would be a handy sum of money, which would put me closer to living independently

LizBo

LizBo

Hey Eddie;

I made a successful claim after I was forced to medically retire from work by my employer in 2015. As I was in a bad way I left it for a year before applying. I did it myself as I had plenty of evidence and an empathetic case manager at my super fund.

Ads on TV try to get you to sign up with solicitors, but I delved into this and was shocked at the amount of paperwork and $ charges.

If you were working prior to gaining disability status, it should be ok. As I was only 55 at the time, it was really difficult for me to get my head around retiring, so my case manager knew I wasn't putting it on. We spoke on several occasions where she tried to convince me to fill the forms in as I was procrastinating. I had her on my side thank goodness.

My bank (credit union) also put a claim in on my behalf to the insurer of my car loan and they paid it in full within the week. Unfortunately I waved the insurance on my mortgage as I never thought I'd be in that situation and was earning a good wage at the time. Lesson learned...

It's all about the evidence and your reason for applying 'at the time'. The paperwork isn't really complex, but needs to be convincing.

Because I was born before 1960 I was also eligible to gain access to my super at 55 which was a Godsend.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask ok. Good luck!

EddieH

EddieH

hey thanks @LizBo. That's the information I wanted. It does seem the solicitors are just wanting money for nothing. I haven't worked for about 8 years hope that's not a problem, well there is no harm in trying I guess. I've got heaps of supporting Dr's and paperwork so we will see i guess.

LizBo

LizBo

That's great Eddie!

The term to be mindful of is 'Retirement'. Just because you have a mental health disability it doesn't mean they'll automatically accept your claim.

In your reports, especially from your psychiatrist, it must say there is definitely no prospect you'll ever work again.

Let me know how you go ok. Like I said, ask me questions if you're unsure of anything. :bravo:

EddieH

EddieH

I'm on a disability pension that doesn't need reviewing for 10 years and on the ndis so hopefully ok

EddieH

EddieH

The insurance wants a date of disablement, how do i come up with that? Is that the date of diagnoses of schizophreniza or the date i got the pension? Anyone know, i'd appreciate some help

LizBo

LizBo

Hi Eddie;
That's probably something to discuss with your insurance case manager. Remember to try and keep them in your corner as it may be an advantage. Ask them to explain each question as your comprehension isn't the best. They should be fine with this.

The other option is finding relevant forms on their website, download and read through the info notes relating to each question.

Your GP or psychiatrist may also help identify a day through their notes. I don't think it really matters Eddie as they don't need to back-date payments; they just need a calendar day for their file. Hope this helps :)

EddieH

EddieH

Got all the forms, it looks so complicated. Dates of this dates of that, i really don't know how i am going to get all the information. I will make a double booking for the GP and see what she thinks about it. And to make matters worse it's Comm insure, they are basically crooks and even if you have a heart attack they don't pay out.

LizBo

LizBo

Hmm...
Mine was really straight forward which only took me 1/2 hr or so to complete. (State Govt Employee Super) The biggest headache was gathering evidence. I also made a double appt with GP and took the forms with me.

Keep at it Eddie. If you have any issues with them, there's the option of making a complaint through the Financial and Insurance Ombudsman. I'm sorry it's been such a pain.