• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Has anyone here tried ERP for harm OCD?

boogaooga

boogaooga

Hey guys, first time poster, but I’ve lurked around here before.

I suffer from severe harm OCD, and medication barely helps me. I’ve been in therapy for it for years and have had little to no improvement. I recently heard of ERP (exposure and response prevention) therapy, and am considering giving it a try. I’m not entirely sure of how it’d work for harm OCD or if those methods would even be effective.

So, have any of you tried ERP? Did it work? What was it like?

Thanks

S

strangeinvasion

do you remember how it started? any major life events? why do you think you do it? If you had to give an explanation?

boogaooga

boogaooga

do you remember how it started? any major life events? why do you think you do it? If you had to give an explanation?
I’m assuming you mean my thoughts of harm - I’ve had them for as long as I can remember. I grew up in an abusive household, so none of it has been a surprise. I apparently drew images of mutilation of both humans and animals as a young child, and I can recall experimenting on small animals from time to time. For these reasons I’ve never been entirely sure if I have OCD or if something else is wrong with me. The violent thoughts aren’t intrusive necessarily - they’re urges, fantasies you could say - but they can be inconvenient at times.