Has anyone heard of this?

T

Tabby120

I was talking with someone I had just met, mental illness had impacted both our families and our lives. She said she had heard of a form of bipolar disorder where there was no high. No mania, no hypomania, the person would feel only depression. Is there such a variation where bipolar disorder has only one pole? How does it differ from unipolar depression?

Soul_Deeps

Soul_Deeps

Yea it sounds a bit weird. If you take away the manic episodes, why wouldn't it be considered a depression?

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

depression once upon a time was depression and then came along the psychiatrist who then started to coin all kinds of labels.

manic i think has also been known as hyper mania but i dont know for sure. manic is a bouyant state of mind and exubrence of energy (lots of energy)

Wishbone

Wishbone

There isn't a type of Bipolar illness that would be described as such. All forms (including Cyclothymia) have at least some upshift in mood. The nearest thing - because it is considered a mood disorder - is Recurrent Depression (Recurrent Depressive Disorder), but that is purely because it is a cyclical pattern of depressive moods, but ONLY depressive moods. Think clinical depression that has a recurring pattern to it if you aren't familiar.