Has anyone heard of an auditory hallucination that consisted of an entire symphony?

M

marimbist

Has anyone heard of an auditory hallucination that consisted of an entire symphony?

This was a while back, and since then I've been searching all over Google for answers but either I couldn't find the right search terms,or there really isn't enough information out there for me to understand what happened.
I was trying to fall asleep when I began to hear a symphony form in my mind and it kept going for a longer period than I bet most hallucinations last- it was probably 2 minutes.
Now, I can write some music, but as only been taught in an AP music theory class last year, I can say what I heard was nowhere even close to what I can compose. When the music faded away I didn't even bother to recreate any of the melodies.
If I remember right, I think I added instruments as I pleased. This may have been a subconscious effort to make the memory seem cooler. I don't think hallucinations can be normally controlled.
I've had other hallucinations, too, receiving level 4 closed-eye visions (CEV) when I'm tired or about to fall asleep, and I'm not sure of the causes of those either.
I had a lot of stress my junior year and a possible addiction to coffee. This was the year of my amazing incident.
I'm not diagnosed for a general anxiety disorder, but instead SAD. And I don't think I should be because these hallucinations only occur later in the day/ at night, so they don't have any effect on my daily life.
The worst of my suspicions is that these hallucinations are early signs of schizophrenia. I have not hit the average age a woman would be diagnosed of the disorder, so I have yet to be sure. It's just that I read online once that lonely people are more likely to have schizophrenia, and I kind of don't have any friends. When I looked into other signs, others popped out as true for me: Drop in grades, irritability, social isolation. And I remember in second grade I used to try to convince my friends that I was a prophet of God, feeling certain that someday there would be an obvious signal coming from such God. It pretty much ended right away when I became an atheist. I don't know if my odd childhood contributes to any informal diagnosis or if I like revealing myself online.
TLDR; just basically the title with a lot of unnecessary details

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I was trying to fall asleep when I began to hear a symphony form in my mind and it kept going for a longer period than I bet most hallucinations last- it was probably 2 minutes.
i'd strongly suggest being very way about going down the pathology / biomedical psychiatric route.

Maybe embrace the experience & exploring it all, turn it into something positive & healing - others have, & it's Not uncommon.

There are many stories of people hearing music, Great Composers & others, & using that as inspiration to compose -

Experience: I dreamed a symphony, then composed it -

Experience: I dreamed a symphony, then composed it | Life and style | The Guardian

Angelic Symphony : NPR

Maybe also question a little the current popularity of materialism / Atheism - A good book is 'The Music Of The Spheres: Music, Science and the Natural Order of the Universe' by Jamie James.

Kerome

Kerome

It is certainly unusual. I came across a reference to such an experience once in a German leaflet on hearing voices, where they said there had been recorded cases of orchestral music in hallucinations, but it was a mention of that as an extreme and rare case.

If you've not actually had experiences of hearing voices I think it's sensible to let it progress for a while and see where it goes. Many people have some auditory phenomena, and even among those who hear voices only a modest proportion go on to seek psychiatric help. It's perfectly possible to life with these symptoms with minimal interference in a normal life.

You might also want to look into hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, which occur on the boundaries of sleep. If you've had some closed-eye hallucinations maybe you will find it interesting to read about them.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
“The entire world we apprehend through our senses is no more than a tiny fragment in the vastness of Nature.”

~ Max Planck