• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has anyone had their 1st mania episode at 40y?

• Thread starter 1stManiaEpisodeWife
  • Start date

1stManiaEpisodeWife

My husband just had a first maniac episode, he’s in his 40s. Hasn’t been diagnosed with bipolar disorder yet but is been treated as if. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

G

Galaxy

Yes, I am 45 and had 2 manic episodes last year for first time as far as I am aware (sectioned both times)

C

Comorbidity

You can have mania without realising that's what it was dpending on your environment, I only realised through comments from WB and others here that I'd had fairly frequent mania that had only produced incredibly positive aspects as I was living in a practically stress free and always up environments away from the world and stresses of society

I had my first very bad (disastrous and life changing) manic episodes with psychosis aged 39 onwards, they repeated a few times because of the PTSD I was left with through the behaviour I endured that caused the first of them - I learned I had to stay away from all behaviours and environments that were triggers for the PTSD and bipolar, it's the only thing that works for me, it isn't a life, but there are some enjoyable moments to be found occasionally