• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Has anyone had med changes by phone with pdoc?

P

Pear

Has anyone had med changes or adjustments by phone with pdoc? I can’t see my pdoc till June. I was really hoping he’d make a reduction by phone but he insisted he has to see me in person.

N

natalie

Hi Pear,

I am surprised by that. Because I believe t hat your Lockdown is to be extended until 18th May, now that will be a long time, for your p - doc to see you in person. Maybe he has to monitor you in person before he can make a final judicial review decision.

I misread your post, I thought that you meant with GP doctor, and thankfully, I have had my med one of them readjusted by my GP doctor. I knew annoyingly I just couldn't attend an appointment in person.

Best Wishes.

P

Pear

I’m assuming you got a med change by phone based on your message. I can’t see my pdoc till June based on what he told me. But I think it could be May 18.

N

natalie

My GP doctor has been well acquainted with me for many years, and knowing how stablised I am on Fluxoetine, orginally at 7.5ml liquid dose, and he always monitors me off, and following on from when he asked me on callback, in his med review, was I taking FLuxoetine, and I said yes, confirming, in another call back, and I checked with him, if i could drop the dose back, and he gave me a verbal decision over the phone that I could alter the dose. I have since been very happier with the change of dose.

It does annoy me though that what with this lockdown senario, I just haven't been able to attend the practice as a patient, at all, so I'll be very relieved, once when we have reached a safe level for out of the lockdown, hopefully and all being well, back to mere normally.

i hope the first paragraph helps.

N

natalie

Your welcome, Pear.

L

LadyDomino

I have too (England) .......well increase to the dose of my aririprazole (twice). The phone consultation was exactly like my regular visits with the psych doc and took almost as long.

HLon99

HLon99

Hi pear,

I've had my pdoc prescribe me a second medication (Abilify) by phone recently due to lockdown. Of course if you're requesting a reduction its going to be more difficult. I'm sure your docs not being an a*shole on purpose, hes just probably worried about your state, especially in this difficult time and wants to see how you are in person. I'm new to Bipolar, but I hear that getting off medication can be risky and you have to be carefully monitored to prevent relapses. If you can try to hold out until june. But, if the side effects or anything else is really bothering you speak to your GP and tell her to get a hold of you pdoc to explain your situation. Im sure they could work something out.

Hope this helps
-H

P

Pear

Thanks CDHeed96, LadyDomino and HLon99. It’s just the state of mind I have is very difficult to endure. There no emotion plus a feeling of stress 24/7. I’ve never known anything like it. Roll on June.

HLon99

HLon99

Your welcome pear.
In addition to my previous answer, I don't know exacty how the system works in ireland. But if you really want to get somewhere call your clinic and ask to speak with MEDICAL SECRETARY of the clinic that your psychiatrist works at. Explain to her the side effects that you've been experiencing and that you urgently need to speak to a doctor about this. She will direct you appropriately.

Just out of curiosity, which medications are you currently on and how long have you been on them? How long has it been since you last saw/called your pdoc?

-H

P

Pear

I’m on 600 mg lithium and 10mg olanzapine. Was on lithium 15 years but as of sept the lithium has caused me emotional blunting and cognitive dulling. Psychiatrist has already reduced lithium from 800 to 600 and agreed to take me off it slowly. Pdoc called me last week but wouldn’t change med by phone. Saw cpn in person last week as well.

HLon99

HLon99

Very sorry to hear that pear. I haven't had any experience with lithium nor am I a doctor. I experienced some emotional blunting when I started on Abilify 2 weeks ago, but thats waning now. Make sure your looking after yourself physically to cope with the stress by exercising and eating well, even if you don't feel like it. And let your family/friends know what your going through so they can support you through this difficult time. Talking helps. But if you are really struggling with these side effects and feel unwell or even suicidal make sure to contact your GP/emergeancy dept without hesitation. They can help if your in a crisis even if your psychiatrist can't. Your better off being safe than sorry.