• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Has anyone experienced pre sleep jolts/hypnic jerks followed by extra ectopic beats or some afib when stressed?

• Thread starter grounded closer
  • Start date
G

grounded closer

I'm 46

In good health

Got my blood tested in Dec, normal lipid panel and sugar levels

No one in my family has died of a heart disease or heart failure

Both my parents are in their mid 70s and in great health

BP is 110/71

Anyways been under a lot of stress and feeling anxious lately. I had chronic panic/stress disorder brought on by the isolation factor due to the pandemic. Did meditate, go out, deep breath, exercise to combat it and I was okay. My panic/anxiety attacs and related symptoms like these sleep induced pvcs stopped.

Before I took these measures, I used to experience hypnic jerks/jolts or that pre deep sleep just exhausted feeling before you go unconscious and it would cause my heart to produce some ectopics mabe 1-3 max and then some times it would be followed by a short 1 minute bout of Afib with an irregular heartbeat and then I would wake up abruptly, breath and my heart would restore it's rhythm.

As stated above, I did take measures to handle this and it worked.

However for the last few nights, or even during this afternoon when I tried to fall asleep, just when I'm crossing that mark from consciousness to unconsciousness and going into a deep slumber, I'm jolted, like a hypnic jerk and my heart produces many extra beats and today a small bout of Afib. I have been under stress and feeling anxious lately to be honest so that could be the culprit. Could this be the cause? Or something else based on my health history/background? Has anyone experienced this or am I the lone wolf or Blacksheep that experienced my heart go off rhythm slightly when I'm trying to fall alseep. Like I said, it just started a few days ago when I have been stressed and anxious and I was okay for 1 year. So I think it's mind/anxiety related but want to get a second opinion. I will try to relax, do deep breathing, meditate and sleep earlier. I've been not getting enough sleep and been stressing about a few things.

Thanks

L

Laudanum

Hi.

I experienced that exact thing for a week to 2 weeks a couple of years ago. Whenever I was about to fall asleep, ectopics/hypnic jerks occurred. Not sure why.

They went away however. I would suspect yours are, indeed, anxiety.

Have you had any ECGs or consultations with a doctor, just to make sure?

It is possible for someone to have thousands of ectopics a day and still be fine, but that isn't normal. A few a day if normal.

Your BP sounds amazingly healthy, by the way.

G

grounded closer

I dont' have 1000s of extra beats.
Maybe like 10 /20 when I'm stressed
That's nothing compared to how many beats the heart produces in a 24 hour cycle.
I'm sure it's just anxiety
Haven't gotten an ECG yet.
If it gets worse I might just rule out any heart problems.

L

LuluM

I'm 46

In good health

Got my blood tested in Dec, normal lipid panel and sugar levels

No one in my family has died of a heart disease or heart failure

Both my parents are in their mid 70s and in great health

BP is 110/71

Anyways been under a lot of stress and feeling anxious lately. I had chronic panic/stress disorder brought on by the isolation factor due to the pandemic. Did meditate, go out, deep breath, exercise to combat it and I was okay. My panic/anxiety attacs and related symptoms like these sleep induced pvcs stopped.

Before I took these measures, I used to experience hypnic jerks/jolts or that pre deep sleep just exhausted feeling before you go unconscious and it would cause my heart to produce some ectopics mabe 1-3 max and then some times it would be followed by a short 1 minute bout of Afib with an irregular heartbeat and then I would wake up abruptly, breath and my heart would restore it's rhythm.

As stated above, I did take measures to handle this and it worked.

However for the last few nights, or even during this afternoon when I tried to fall asleep, just when I'm crossing that mark from consciousness to unconsciousness and going into a deep slumber, I'm jolted, like a hypnic jerk and my heart produces many extra beats and today a small bout of Afib. I have been under stress and feeling anxious lately to be honest so that could be the culprit. Could this be the cause? Or something else based on my health history/background? Has anyone experienced this or am I the lone wolf or Blacksheep that experienced my heart go off rhythm slightly when I'm trying to fall alseep. Like I said, it just started a few days ago when I have been stressed and anxious and I was okay for 1 year. So I think it's mind/anxiety related but want to get a second opinion. I will try to relax, do deep breathing, meditate and sleep earlier. I've been not getting enough sleep and been stressing about a few things.

Thanks
Hi
I’ve had similar symptoms. They come and go in episodes. Sometimes I think is this an actual medical emergency or just anxiety. And the not knowing is the worst part.

It sounds like you have done your research on the Heart and arrythmias, but I’m wondering how you have come to the conclusion that you are in A-fib versus just having a palpitation with tachycardia. If these symptoms happen at night only, then maybe a sleep study would give you some conclusive data.

Otherwise, I go through a check list in my head regarding whether or not I’m having a heart attack based on female symptoms. Usually I end up with i am most likely not having a heart attack. However, on one occasion I wasn’t sure and went to the ER- I actually had swelling around my heart which was constricting blood flow. This was due to a bad reaction to the COVID vaccine. My symptoms were completely different than my standard anxiety/panic attack and I wasn’t even that panicky at the time. So my conclusion here is: get to the bottom of this to ease your mind, advocate for yourself through the healthcare system, and make sure you do not have an underlying cause. If there is nothing to be found, then when these physical symptoms happen again try to convince yourself that this is anxiety and not health related.

In the meantime try drinking plenty of water and taking out all stimulants and alcohol. If your BP is 110/70 during the day then you may also get bouts of low BP when asleep which can sometimes lead to tachycardia- meaning drink plenty of water :)

hopes this helps

G

grounded closer

Hi
I’ve had similar symptoms. They come and go in episodes. Sometimes I think is this an actual medical emergency or just anxiety. And the not knowing is the worst part.

It sounds like you have done your research on the Heart and arrythmias, but I’m wondering how you have come to the conclusion that you are in A-fib versus just having a palpitation with tachycardia. If these symptoms happen at night only, then maybe a sleep study would give you some conclusive data.

Otherwise, I go through a check list in my head regarding whether or not I’m having a heart attack based on female symptoms. Usually I end up with i am most likely not having a heart attack. However, on one occasion I wasn’t sure and went to the ER- I actually had swelling around my heart which was constricting blood flow. This was due to a bad reaction to the COVID vaccine. My symptoms were completely different than my standard anxiety/panic attack and I wasn’t even that panicky at the time. So my conclusion here is: get to the bottom of this to ease your mind, advocate for yourself through the healthcare system, and make sure you do not have an underlying cause. If there is nothing to be found, then when these physical symptoms happen again try to convince yourself that this is anxiety and not health related.

In the meantime try drinking plenty of water and taking out all stimulants and alcohol. If your BP is 110/70 during the day then you may also get bouts of low BP when asleep which can sometimes lead to tachycardia- meaning drink plenty of water :)

hopes this helps
I think you're right. It's not afib but short bout of Tach, Palpitations. I'm assuming palpitations can also be fast, irregular right? I think that's what it is due to stress/anxiety. I had these last year. Exactly when I was in a high stress state. Then when I took my mind off of things and did deep breathing, meditation, just focused on being present and wasn't "heart/health conscious" everything went away.

L

Laudanum

I think you're right. It's not afib but short bout of Tach, Palpitations. I'm assuming palpitations can also be fast, irregular right? I think that's what it is due to stress/anxiety. I had these last year. Exactly when I was in a high stress state. Then when I took my mind off of things and did deep breathing, meditation, just focused on being present and wasn't "heart/health conscious" everything went away.
Palpitations are either very fast heartbeat (usually regular) or ectopic (irregular).

G

grounded closer

Okay well my palps were irregular. so that's Afib no? I
It did start with ectopics and then it went into afib, irregular and then to a fast regular heart rate like a Tach and then I breathed and it was normal. All within 1 minute
Almost like a ghost or spirit was stuck in there and then excised
I actually felt better
I also later in the evening did some earthing
Like stuck my bare feet to the earth to release the negative charge
and I felt beter
But it can be paroxysmal afib which is like rare, just isolated
Not persistent.
BTW I slept last night with no hypnic jerks, heart palps, afib, ectopics,
I think the earthing helped and also just being present and did some mindful medtitaton.

G

grounded closer

Palpitations are either very fast heartbeat (usually regular) or ectopic (irregular).
Okay well my palps were irregular. so that's Afib no? I
It did start with ectopics and then it went into afib, irregular and then to a fast regular heart rate like a Tach and then I breathed and it was normal. All within 1 minute
Almost like a ghost or spirit was stuck in there and then excised
I actually felt better
I also later in the evening did some earthing
Like stuck my bare feet to the earth to release the negative charge
and I felt beter
But it can be paroxysmal afib which is like rare, just isolated
Not persistent.
BTW I slept last night with no hypnic jerks, heart palps, afib, ectopics,
I think the earthing helped and also just being present and did some mindful medtitaton.

L

Laudanum

I don't feel I'm qualified to diagnose atrial fibrillation, to be honest.

I do have a device called Kardia Mobile, which is approved to diagnose it (works with your mobile phone). It also gives a lead 1 ECG and detects normal or abnormal sinus rhythm. Might be worth a go (I find it quite good). You can even send off a reading to an expert to look at. AliveCor

G

grounded closer

I don't feel I'm qualified to diagnose atrial fibrillation, to be honest.

I do have a device called Kardia Mobile, which is approved to diagnose it (works with your mobile phone). It also gives a lead 1 ECG and detects normal or abnormal sinus rhythm. Might be worth a go (I find it quite good). You can even send off a reading to an expert to look at. AliveCor
Thanks the problem is that it won't find anything irregular. as my heart is fine. I might not have another episode for 6 months, 1 year, never. So the ECG will detect my daily, normal rhythm. However thanks for your help