• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Has anyone experienced High dosages of Quetiapine

C

Consideration

After three admissions to the hospital with psychosis, my wife's dosage of Quetiapine was increased to the maximum level 800mg/day.
Sarah has Bipolar and takes her medication.
The Q was reduced to 700mg
Depakote - 1000mg
Lamotrigine - 150mg

Sarah is stable but suffers from any little stressful situation which I deal with.

The question?

She has been taking this for 7 months and we noticed a gradual decline:
With her inability to listen and register.
The lack of concentration.
Forgetful.
Inability to understand the simplest of tasks.
Clumsy, dropping things.

Has anyone experienced the same?
And!! does it get better when the dose is reduced?

Warm regards
Rich

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Your wife is on a lot of medication and they are all mood stabilisers so will have dulled her down quite a bit. Ive been on depakote and lamotrigine but unfortunately they did not work for me. Then i was put on quetiapine which once it got into my system did work and like your wife i was on 800 reduced to 650. It did very well for controlling the psychosis but flattened my mood and dulled me down completely i lost interest in most things. Not happy or sad, I found i couldnt laugh or cry at anything. I’m now off the drug and have been psychosis free for a few years now and I’m more in tune with my emotions. Maybe this is something you should be discussing with her psychiatrist.

C

Consideration

Your wife is on a lot of medication and they are all mood stabilisers so will have dulled her down quite a bit. Ive been on depakote and lamotrigine but unfortunately they did not work for me. Then i was put on quetiapine which once it got into my system did work and like your wife i was on 800 reduced to 650. It did very well for controlling the psychosis but flattened my mood and dulled me down completely i lost interest in most things. Not happy or sad, I found i couldnt laugh or cry at anything. I’m now off the drug and have been psychosis free for a few years now and I’m more in tune with my emotions. Maybe this is something you should be discussing with her psychiatrist.
Without medication, Mania, followed by depression is a certain consequence. The Depakote and Lamo are not a problem at present.
I spoke with the community nurse today and ask for the dosage to be reviewed.
Does Q at high dosages have irreversible side effects if continued at high dosages for long periods? This is our main concern.
Her inability to communicate is frustrating and upsetting for Sarah, understandably this makes life very difficult.

Regards
Rich

N

Nina998

I've been on Quetiapine maybe 2 years now. My dose is 600mg (700mg before). I have experienced weight gain, need of 10-12 hours sleep, inability to listen and register, serious memory problems and weaken cognitive skills. But this could also be Lithium or ECT or depression itself. My opinion is that this drug is evil. But my body and brain has grown an addiction so I'll never get rid of Q.

N

Notalwaysever

I see wanting to blame the Seroquel because the dosage is high but honestly the dulling (unable today communicate) is probably because she is on three mood stabilizers at the same time. I mean is it working? You say she isn’t manic but I have been on all those meds before and they can make you feel emotionless. All I am saying is I would t focus so much on just the one med but on how they are all working together.

I ended up on a lot of meds at one time for a while because they couldn’t control my symptoms but I was doing overall pretty bad. I am doing much better on less different meds although still at a high dosage. I just don’t want your wife to have to go through that.

C

Consideration

I see wanting to blame the Seroquel because the dosage is high but honestly the dulling (unable today communicate) is probably because she is on three mood stabilizers at the same time. I mean is it working? You say she isn’t manic but I have been on all those meds before and they can make you feel emotionless. All I am saying is I would t focus so much on just the one med but on how they are all working together.

I ended up on a lot of meds at one time for a while because they couldn’t control my symptoms but I was doing overall pretty bad. I am doing much better on less different meds although still at a high dosage. I just don’t want your wife to have to go through that.
Good point.
This will be taken into consideration.

F

fightthegoodfight

After three admissions to the hospital with psychosis, my wife's dosage of Quetiapine was increased to the maximum level 800mg/day.
Depakote - 1000mg
Lamotrigine - 150mg

Sarah is stable but suffers from any little stressful situation which I deal with.

The question?

Forgetful.
Clumsy, dropping things.

Warm regards
Rich
The quetiapine can definitely cause this as others have mentioned all on its own, but as also mentioned, it can be caused by all three or a combination. The only way to determine the real culprit is trial and error with the medications. I was on very high doses of seraquel (quetiapine) for many years, along with depakote, lithium, among others at various points.

Mental dulling is pretty common with both quetiapine (seraquel) and depakote. I am semi familiar with lamotrigine but havent taken it so far as i recall.

-The good news, to answer your question, is yes, these particular side effects should be completely reversible.-

The bad news, as pointed out, is seraquel has some pretty nasty long term side effects. They arent guaranteed, but if they do happen they can be problematic. In particular is metabolic syndrome which, left untreated can lead to diabetes.

Keep in mind, if you have a healthcare provider who is doing their job well, and regularly running labs, this is less likely to be an issue. Metabolic syndrome is easily spotted, and reversible.

Seraquel is different for everyone. It was a tough drug for me personally, but i wont deny it probably saved my life, and the sanity of those around me.

Is she stable? If she is, at this point, you may be able to talk to her healthcare provider about working together to taper her down. But I would say definitely start a conversation with her provider. Best of luck, I really can relate, quetiapine and I have a tumultuous past!

C

Consideration

The quetiapine can definitely cause this as others have mentioned all on its own, but as also mentioned, it can be caused by all three or a combination. The only way to determine the real culprit is trial and error with the medications. I was on very high doses of seraquel (quetiapine) for many years, along with depakote, lithium, among others at various points.

Mental dulling is pretty common with both quetiapine (seraquel) and depakote. I am semi familiar with lamotrigine but havent taken it so far as i recall.

-The good news, to answer your question, is yes, these particular side effects should be completely reversible.-

The bad news, as pointed out, is seraquel has some pretty nasty long term side effects. They arent guaranteed, but if they do happen they can be problematic. In particular is metabolic syndrome which, left untreated can lead to diabetes.

Keep in mind, if you have a healthcare provider who is doing their job well, and regularly running labs, this is less likely to be an issue. Metabolic syndrome is easily spotted, and reversible.

Seraquel is different for everyone. It was a tough drug for me personally, but i wont deny it probably saved my life, and the sanity of those around me.

Is she stable? If she is, at this point, you may be able to talk to her healthcare provider about working together to taper her down. But I would say definitely start a conversation with her provider. Best of luck, I really can relate, quetiapine and I have a tumultuous past!
Thanks for the reply.
We have a meeting today with her consultant with a review to her meds.
The positive knowing the symptoms are reversible.

Regards
Rich

F

fightthegoodfight

Thanks for the reply.
We have a meeting today with her consultant with a review to her meds.
The positive knowing the symptoms are reversible.

Regards
Rich
Best of luck Rich. :hug: Do you know how things went today yet?

C

Consideration

Best of luck Rich. :hug: Do you know how things went today yet?
The morning dose of Q was reduced by 100mg - giving a daily of 600mg 200/400mg

We will monitor and review on the 28th of July with our goal of reducing further.

Stress reduction is the key

I will keep you posted on her response

Warm regards
Rich

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The other thing with quetiapine that you need to be aware of is that quetiapine can cause diabetes. I wasnt made aware of this when I started on it and am now T2 diabetic. Even tho ive stopped the quetiapine I’m still diabetic. It was only diagnosed when i was critically ill with high blood sugar and hospitalised. Please insist on regular glucose checks

K

karl7

Depakote - 1000mg
Lamotrigine - 150mg

The question?

Forgetful.
Clumsy, dropping things.

Warm regards
Rich
im on 800mg quetiapine and olanzapine 20mg,,,,,the dose is currently serving me well......i do have some side affects like excessive sleeping. ANyway, its hit or miss if meds suit you......i dont habve too many side affects on them

C

Consideration

im on 800mg quetiapine and olanzapine 20mg,,,,,the dose is currently serving me well......i do have some side affects like excessive sleeping. ANyway, its hit or miss if meds suit you......i dont habve too many side affects on them
Your right Karl, whatever works for the individual.
All to do with the quality of life.

F

fightthegoodfight

The morning dose of Q was reduced by 100mg - giving a daily of 600mg 200/400mg

We will monitor and review on the 28th of July with our goal of reducing further.

Stress reduction is the key

I will keep you posted on her response

Warm regards
Rich
That is great to hear Rich! Some progress is always better than no progress. Sounds like you have professional help that is also receptive to working together and that is so key. With adequate monitoring of her lab levels hopefully she should be fine.

My warmest wishes to you and her, I hope she continues to improve and will be able to reduce the dose even further with time.

Keep us posted if you wish to! All the best, stay strong. :)

C

Consideration

That is great to hear Rich! Some progress is always better than no progress. Sounds like you have professional help that is also receptive to working together and that is so key. With adequate monitoring of her lab levels hopefully she should be fine.

My warmest wishes to you and her, I hope she continues to improve and will be able to reduce the dose even further with time.

Keep us posted if you wish to! All the best, stay strong. :)
Thanks,
the forums are a key aspect to helping people with information OTHER than professionals, IT can give you a true picture of actual reactions.

I will keep you posted.

Warm regards
Rich